The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-20-2016, 08:42 PM

Default i like the sound of bare fingers best

I actually like the sound of bare fingers. I have tried nails and fingerpicks, felt like I was supposed to like it better, but I just don't.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psfam View Post
I actually like the sound of bare fingers. I have tried nails and fingerpicks, felt like I was supposed to like it better, but I just don't.
Well, there are at least two of us then.
Eastman E10-OM AE - SOLD
Eastman AC 122 CE - SOLD
Eastman AC 420 CESB - SOLD
Taylor 320 (LR Baggs Lyric) - SOLD
Pono ATDC-Ce (tenor ukulele) gCEA
Oscar Schmidt OU53 (baritone ukulele) - SOLD
Gold Tone model "BUT" (tenor banjo ukulele) gCEA
Old 12-21-2016, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Zombie thread. Every couple of years it comes back to life.

I've heard people play with and without thumb/fingerpicks and sound very good to me. There is no one true answer.

To me, Mississippi John Hurt sounded just fine without thumb/fingerpicks.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:42 AM

wether or not I use fingerpicks depends on what I'm fingerpicking. If I'm fingerpicking a banjo, squareneck dobro, or lap steel then yes I use fingerpicks 100% of the time. On mandolin I use them for more volume unless I'm recording. If I'm fingerpicking a round neck resonator then I will use them If I want volume or a more bluegrassy tone but otherwise no. On acoustic guitar I use them If I need to get more volume when playing unamplified.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:03 AM

The original OP has had 4 years of playing fingerstyle. If he had decided to use nothing but skin all this time, his fingertips would have become tougher and maybe have a little bit of that sound that using nails or some sort of finger/thumb picks have, just my opinion.
I stopped using add-on fingernails, picks of any kind and growing of nails a couple of years ago and my fingers have toughened up enough to sound different (louder than soft skin and a mellower sound than picks).
Of course this all subject to what kind of playing style you're after and what works best for you.

Tom
E20 OM-SB Eastman
Old 12-30-2016, 01:59 PM

I'm mostly a finger picker - about 75% of my playing. I use natural nails unless one is damaged and I have to file them off. My thumbnail is kept at about 1/8" and the three fingers at about 1/16". At the moment I have no nails on the picking fingers, and I'm really enjoying that tone too. Personally I have never been able to adapt to fingerpicks, despite trying several times and several different brands. It takes me a few minutes to adapt between with nails and without nails, but it happens quickly.

One of the most telling reasons to use your nails (or no nails) is what happens with a couple of my friends. They play both banjo and guitar, so they are used to using finger picks for banjo, and have adapted to the guitar too. But I find it amusing when they come over, sit in at a jam, or we go into a guitar store. Having become completely dependent on picks, these very good players literally cannot test drive a guitar unless they planned ahead and brought their finger picks / kit along.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write