The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2019, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Default Distortions can sound good (V-Class content)

In hi-fi, you can choose solid-state amplification for a clean, linear frequency response; or tubes, which depart from "accuracy" and introduce 2nd order harmonic distortions (among other artifacts) and can sound rich, colorful, and full of life.

I mention this in the context of the new Taylor V-Class bracing system, which, to my ears, delivers an exceptionally cleaner sound in all registers–but also sounds a bit threadbare and colorless, in that all sorts of harmonic distortions and overtones seem to have been filtered out in the quest for "accuracy."

Of course, different sonic palettes are a good thing, and people vary considerably in what they want an acoustic guitar to sound like.

But, I'm certainly glad that there are Goodalls, Froggy Bottoms, Lowdens, and Martins in the world.

Which let all sorts of overtones and distortions fly.

And sound rich and colorful as a result.
Breedlove Ed Gerhard Exotic (Brazilian/Red Spruce)
Brad Goodman J-200 (Engelmann/Quilted Maple)
Taylor 326CE 8-string Baritone
1960s Guild M-20 (Nick Drake guitar)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion