The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-04-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
It'll be interesting to see if Gronk hangs it up this year. Bulging disks in his neck may not be able to stand another season of wear. But 10 mil and pain meds might help...
I have loved watching Gronk play, but I do think it's time for him to call it a career. He looks worn-out. Still got the heart, but the body is not what it used to be.

As for incentive, from what I understand, he has been VERY responsible with his money, banking 100% of his salary (after taxes, agent fees etc.) and living off of what he gets from endorsements, so he certainly doesn't need another big paycheck.

Besides imagine the possibilities for him, post-football. The world is his mollusc...
Old 02-04-2019, 05:46 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Or I can just move on to something that matters.
You know, you have a point there. We should probably simply both resume our happy lives.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-04-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Interesting fact I just read. The last two New England Super Bowl wins, the MVP of the game was suspended the first four games of that season; Brady 2 years ago and Edelman this year. Let's get another 4 game suspension next year .

Sadly, and on the more serious side, Edelman was suspended for PED use. Looks like the PEDs worked.
When I was in the Navy they told us that any advantage was a competitive edge- never mind that it was technically against the rules.

PS: today I did some painting and watched it dry. It was actually more entertaining to me than all of last night’s events.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgagnon View Post
Totally agree. I think the boring games are the high scoring games won by the team that happens to have possession last.

Low scoring games can be fun as long as there’s action. Like a big play that gets stopped in the red zone or something like that. 123 punt 123 punt is just boring.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Brady is not really a Bill robot. He's his own thing. The offense is pretty much his with Josh McDaniels. Either would not win to the extent they have without the other.

And Tom is FAR from done. I honestly don't know where people are getting this from. Gronk should retire however for his own long term health.

Yep I think it’s ridiculous how some people give so little credit to Brady. Yes, he’s 41 and not the most athletic, and his arm is not the same from 10 years ago, that’s what aging does. But he has the best pre snap wits of the league, and he knows how to work around his own physical limitations. Short accurate passes, and firing up his o-line so he has time in the pocket. Quarterback is more than making big passes, or running around “dual threat”. It’s about leading your team to victory, and Brady is without a doubt, the greatest because of that.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Yep I think it’s ridiculous how some people give so little credit to Brady. Yes, he’s 41 and not the most athletic, and his arm is not the same from 10 years ago, that’s what aging does. But he has the best pre snap wits of the league, and he knows how to work around his own physical limitations. Short accurate passes, and firing up his o-line so he has time in the pocket. Quarterback is more than making big passes, or running around “dual threat”. It’s about leading your team to victory, and Brady is without a doubt, the greatest because of that.
There's no one I'd rather see with the ball in his hands in the fourth quarter with the game on the line than Brady. I was watching PTI last night and Wilbon said the same thing. Doesn't matter that Brady had a subpar game last night, when the Patriots needed to win the game in the 4th quarter he was there. That was an awesome pass to Gronk to the 2 yard line.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:49 PM

Waiting for the Saints to file a law suit to force the Pat's to play them for the title.....
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 02-05-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Low scoring games can be fun as long as there’s action. Like a big play that gets stopped in the red zone or something like that. 123 punt 123 punt is just boring.
How about a big play that stops getting in the red zone. It's a game of yards. Some like to see lots of yards, some like to see fewer yards.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
How about a big play that stops getting in the red zone. It's a game of yards. Some like to see lots of yards, some like to see fewer yards.
+1 on preventing an opponent from getting to the red zone.

The Patriots did an excellent job preventing the Rams getting to the red zone - they never made it there once. Add in special teams - Allen had 3 punts downed inside the 10 yard line.

The Patriots only made the red zone once themselves on the Brady-Gronk pass on that 4th quarter TD drive. Previous low red zone plays was 5 - this SB was 1.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:44 AM

Quote:
That’s exactly what happened. Each defense kept the offense from making it much further of mid field. There’s no excitement there unless you’re an ex defense player who truly understand and appreciates the defense side of the game.

Kinda like how us musicians appreciate music that’s complex, but the layperson couldn’t care less because there’s no hook.

Quote:
+1 on preventing an opponent from getting to the red zone.

The Patriots did an excellent job preventing the Rams getting to the red zone - they never made it there once. Add in special teams - Allen had 3 punts downed inside the 10 yard line.

The Patriots only made the red zone once themselves on the Brady-Gronk pass on that 4th quarter TD drive. Previous low red zone plays was 5 - this SB was 1.

Both defenses did their job and then some. Keeping Brady to just one touchdown and two field goals is quite remarkable. Keeping Goff to just a single field goal was absolutely incredible.

I can’t help but wonder what kind of game would’ve been if it was the Saints.
Quote:
There's no one I'd rather see with the ball in his hands in the fourth quarter with the game on the line than Brady. I was watching PTI last night and Wilbon said the same thing. Doesn't matter that Brady had a subpar game last night, when the Patriots needed to win the game in the 4th quarter he was there. That was an awesome pass to Gronk to the 2 yard line.

Yep. Time and time again he has shown to have that “must win” fire in him when the game is on the line. That comeback against the Falcons two years ago was something else. And this past Sunday he made that big play happen when it mattered the most.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

I came across this excellent summary of the game yesterday. It was written by Todd Phillips (from the UMGF):
TSP Blog- SB LIII.

I agree with his take. It really was an epic battle between two defensive titans of the game: Wade Phillips and Bill Belichick.
Maybe not for every one, but definitely on the mark imo.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 02-06-2019, 08:27 AM

I asked my friend how he liked the Super Bowl. He got real defensive about it.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
It really was an epic battle between two defensive titans of the game: Wade Phillips and Bill Belichick.
Maybe not for every one, but definitely on the mark imo.
It absolutely was. I'm an old defensive back from my high school playing days and I love watching good defense, and there was a lot of it in that game, given how good both offenses were against everyone else all year. That said, all of those three and outs and punts don't make for a very entertaining game, so I get why folks were bored with it and I was at moments too. I was watching with my wife, daughter, and my daughter's fiancé, and they were all ready to turn it off at halftime. I kind of dug it anyway, but I'm strange that way. I love watching a good 1-0 pitcher's dual in baseball too...

And, yeah, Brady's a great guy to have in crunch time. He deserves a lot of credit. To restate very briefly what I've said before, I can easily call Belichek the GOAT when it comes to NFL coaches. I'll call Brady one of the best quarterbacks of all time, but I don't believe in calling a player a GOAT, and particularly wouldn't base it on championships. As great as Brady is, and he IS great, I think there are for sure another half dozen or more guys in the history of the game who, in the same system with Belicheck as their coach, would have done just as well. From the very recent past, I'd put Peyton and Rodgers in that group, and possibly Brees. And going back through my football watching life (which started in the mid-60s in earnest), I'd add Elway, Montana, Staubach, and Unitas for sure, and maybe Young, Kelly, possibly a couple others. Guys like Favre and Stabler and Dandy Don were great and a lot of fun to watch, but were far too erratic to come close to consider in any GOAT discussion - Belicheck would have cut or traded any of them really fast. But basing GOAT rankings on championships just tells way too small a part of the story. I mean Terry Bradshaw and Bob Greise each won multiple championships and were fine quarterbacks, but they couldn't shine Aaron Rodger's shoes, and he only has one, which took a heroic effort on his part to overcome a mediocre team and not even mediocre coaching.

By my count, Brady threw two great passes in this Super Bowl. The one to Gronk near the goal line in crunch time, and an earlier wheel route down the right sideline, also to Gronk, that was dropped in there just about perfectly. He completed a lot to Edelman, but Edelman was sooooo open on most of those plays (unlike the KC games, where Brady had to make some really nice throws to hit him) that I attribute that mostly to coaching and Edelman's route running.

GREAT QB, but I believe Belichek and one of those other top QBs could have won just as many Super Bowls (with the possible exception of the Atlanta collapse, where Brady was just HUGE in keeping the pressure on). Whereas Brady playing for just about anyone else would be remembered as a really great QB, but nobody would be talking about him as a GOAT.

I realize most New England fans will disagree with this - one godlike figure isn't enough for you folks, you gotta have TWO! But I can say Brady is as good as anyone, but not better than a handful of other guys.

-Ray
Old 02-06-2019, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
To restate very briefly what I've said before, I can easily call Belichek the GOAT when it comes to NFL coaches. I'll call Brady one of the best quarterbacks of all time, but I don't believe in calling a player a GOAT, and particularly wouldn't base it on championships. As great as Brady is, and he IS great, I think there are for sure another half dozen or more guys in the history of the game who, in the same system with Belicheck as their coach, would have done just as well. From the very recent past, I'd put Peyton and Rodgers in that group, and possibly Brees....
I realize most New England fans will disagree with this - one godlike figure isn't enough for you folks, you gotta have TWO! But I can say Brady is as good as anyone, but not better than a handful of other guys.

-Ray
Hi Ray,
Good analysis. I'm a (long time) NE fan, back to when they were the laughing stock of the league, and I happen to agree with you.
Brady is as ELITE a QB as the league has ever seen, and has been a major key to all the success. Especially noteworthy was/is his ability to deliver in the clutch, time and time again. But GOAT is such an absolute term. All things considered, the grumpy hooded coach is arguably the only one who can definitely fill those shoes.
And BTW, I enjoyed reading all your insightful posts in this thread even though you root against NE. You were always objective and fair in your praise and criticism. Neither angry nor hateful. Just called it like you saw it, and that's all an opponent fan can ask for.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 02-06-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
, the GOAT when it comes to NFL coaches.
That would be Vince Lombardi.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic