The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-11-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
2 inch fingerboard. I actually prefer it
cool... I just wanted to steer you clear of my mistake of not considering that part of the equation
that's me on guitar
Old 09-12-2010, 06:02 AM

Not an authority in the subject, but what about Yamaha?

NCX series - 2" nut
NTX series - 1-7/8" nut

Maybe not the cache of some of the other brands, but great tone, impressive fit and finish, and an excellent pre-amp system. They're also well under budget - you could buy two!
Old 09-12-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicD View Post
Not an authority in the subject, but what about Yamaha?

NCX series - 2" nut
NTX series - 1-7/8" nut

Maybe not the cache of some of the other brands, but great tone, impressive fit and finish, and an excellent pre-amp system. They're also well under budget - you could buy two!
My local shop has Yamaha's on back order so I'm waiting to try them out before I take a plunge and order Fiesta FC.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:02 PM

I ordered Kremona Fiesta FC last night from musicians friend. One of the nice AGF members also offered VIP coupon for 20% off, so I got a nice brand new Fiesta FC for almost 1/4 of my budget.

Thanks to all for your recommendations
Old 09-13-2010, 02:56 PM

Keep us posted once you get it. I hope you enjoy it.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:36 PM

Use your money for a holiday here in Perú, which will include a handmade classical to your specs within your budget
Old 09-14-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backslider View Post
Use your money for a holiday here in Perú, which will include a handmade classical to your specs within your budget
I wish but someday...
Old 09-15-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
I used to live there and still make frequent trips (my wife is Peruvian). Who are the top builders there?
Old 09-15-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I used to live there and still make frequent trips (my wife is Peruvian). Who are the top builders there?
There are a great many luthiers in Perú some of them quite famous, such as Huamani (and priced accordingly).

I had a cheap Peruvian classical which developed a crack in the top, so I took it to a luthier in Cajamarca for repairs. While there I noticed the quality of instruments he was building and commissioned my own build.

It was a lot of fun choosing the timbers and finalising the design. We settled on balkan spruce for the top, Peruvian cherry for back and sides, mahogany neck and rosewood fingerboard bridge and headstock, plus a cut away which are quite popular here in Perú. All for the cost of a night in a decent hotel.

I don't recall this guy's name, so will need to look him up next time I am in Cajamarca. My best advice is to just keep your eyes open for instruments that are well made - lots of junk guitars here also amongst the gems. South America has a lot of luthiers.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
There are a great many luthiers in Perú some of them quite famous, such as Huamani (and priced accordingly).

I had a cheap Peruvian classical which developed a crack in the top, so I took it to a luthier in Cajamarca for repairs. While there I noticed the quality of instruments he was building and commissioned my own build.

It was a lot of fun choosing the timbers and finalising the design. We settled on balkan spruce for the top, Peruvian cherry for back and sides, mahogany neck and rosewood fingerboard bridge and headstock, plus a cut away which are quite popular here in Perú. All for the cost of a night in a decent hotel.

I don't recall this guy's name, so will need to look him up next time I am in Cajamarca. My best advice is to just keep your eyes open for instruments that are well made - lots of junk guitars here also amongst the gems. South America has a lot of luthiers.
Very interesting. Sounds like a great excuse to revisit the beautiful town of Cajamarca!
Old 09-20-2010, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Wink

if you could stretch your funds just a tad, contact Peter Tsiorba:

http://www.tsiorba.com/

he did have a "shop" guitar that was just a little bit higher than the amount you listed(i think it is a sister to Neal Lewis Tsiorba here on the forum).

Anyhow, lots of good-no excellent things out there being said about Peter, contact Neal on here-can't remember his forum name).

Jim Tordorff at Rodeo did have a 2204/05 Ramirez 4E(i think thats the designation), the price was very good, guitar supposedly very nice and setup/playability also. The 4E is no longer made but always lent to being one of the Ramirez with good to excellent reviews for the $.

good luck
daryl
Old 09-23-2010, 12:43 PM

I got my Kremona Fiesta FC last Thursday and had a chance to play with it a lot, but at the end decided to return it. Not because it's a bad guitar but I've realized that I'm not ready for classical (or another guitar) just yet. I'm just enjoying playing my R Taylor too much, and I felt that adding another guitar would spoil that, so I've returned it. I did not realize I would miss playing R Taylor until I actually got another guitar in my house.

Guitar itself is actually built very very good. Had beautiful rosewood back/sides that resembled those in much higher end guitars. Action was medium for classical. Very playable.
Lows were excellent. Deep, lush and loud. Lot better than on any steel string I've played. Mids were also very good. Tight and clear. However, I was not impressed with highs as much. Not really silky smooth and warm as I wanted. They were very shallow and plucky. Almost harsh. Even when played with pick or nail part of my finger. That could be due to the strings used, but I did not want to experiment with it much.
Aside from that, Fiesta FC was one of the best classical's I've played so far which doesn't say much since I haven't played many classical guitars.
Only if those highs were little better, it would be a perfect guitar for that price.

Thanks to all for their recommendations.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:11 PM

If may I add something, it's "kinda" easy to obtain big basses from a classical.
The hard part is to reach the clear, full sounding, singing trebles.
Thats where a good handbuilt will kill almost any industrialy made classicals, IMO.

Bad it didn't work out, but it's great you enjoy your R. Taylor guitar that much.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guto View Post
If may I add something, it's "kinda" easy to obtain big basses from a classical.
The hard part is to reach the clear, full sounding, singing trebles.
Thats where a good handbuilt will kill almost any industrialy made classicals, IMO.

Bad it didn't work out, but it's great you enjoy your R. Taylor guitar that much.
I agree. Trebles are hard to do. But Kremona supposed to be handcrafted. Or am I wrong here.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:23 PM

Sorry, I have no idea how it's made.
Sometimes language is a problem, I think "single luthier built" would be better suited.

Sorry about that.

Last edited by guto; 09-23-2010 at 01:32 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical