The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-02-2017, 03:39 AM

Default ToneDexter - First use

Hi all,

I played a concert tonight for 360 people in an excellent hall (which I run on our college campus), with excellent acoustics and a great sound system (big MeyerSound setup.) Also playing were Tony McManus, Dorian Michael, Martin Paris, and Tim Pacheco. Everyone was using a mic and their PU/DI, except me. I used the ToneDexter. I received it yesterday, so I only had time last night to do 3 trainings. In other words, I didn't have time to experiment much with mic placement. I was able to use an excellent mic for the training, the Neumann KM 184. I took my trusty Highlander DI to the sound check in case I didn't like the results with the ToneDexter.

According to reports by ears that I trust in the hall, and from what I heard in the monitors, my results sounded as "mic like" as the players that actually used a mic. I'm VERY impressed with the unit so far. I think that I'll be keeping it. I'm going to have fun on Saturday trying different mic placements, and doing the training on my other 2 performance guitars.

By the way, the PU was the Anthem, dialed all the way toward the under-saddle.

Jenn Martin
Old 09-02-2017, 03:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennconducts View Post
Hi all,

I played a concert tonight...Also playing were Tony McManus, Dorian Michael, Martin Paris, and Tim Pacheco...
That sounds like a lot of fun, Jenn, and a great venue to test your TD in. Did anyone record the event?

Quote:
I used the ToneDexter...for the training, the Neumann KM 184...my results sounded as "mic like" as the players that actually used a mic...
"Mic-like". That has been my experience, as well.

Quote:
By the way, the PU was the Anthem, dialed all the way toward the under-saddle.
That is also how I trained a guitar with an Anthem this last weekend. I then dialed back in a little bit of (Anthem) "mic" along with the TD'd signal for the live performance. I had someone else play the guitar so I could go out and listen. I was very impressed with the sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification