The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-25-2017, 09:20 AM

Default Acoustic soundhole magnetic passive pickup to passive DI box?

I have a Taylor GS mini with a seymour duncan woody soundhole pickup (magnetic and passive), the venue i'm playing in only has passive DI boxes, I know the general rule is passive pickup to active DI and active pickup to passive DI so :
1- is it ok to plug a passive magnetic pickup into a passive DI box into the PA? or will the output be very low?
2- If i ran into an always on clean boost (Tc Spark booster 4 knobs) before the DI box would it make my signal act as if i had an active pickup? The spark has 1M ohms input impedance and 100 ohm output impedance.
To simplify here is the final signal chain i'm asking about.
Seymour duncan woody---> Spark booster (always on acting as buffer to increase output from pickup) -----> Passive DI box--->PA
So the spark will increase the output and change impedance, and passive DI box will balance the signal before the PA.
I just want to make sure that would work because i will only have a few minutes for soundcheck.
Thank you
Old 08-25-2017, 10:05 AM

1 - yes the output will be low from a passive pickup.
2 - maybe ... if you like the tone

Years ago I used one of these with my passive magnetic pickup, and it worked fine ...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/LR-Baggs...itar-Preamp.gc
Old 08-25-2017, 10:54 AM

I've never had trouble using a passive DI with a passive mag pickup. I would prefer a hotter signal but it's ok. A boost pedal can help but some have funky eq curves, can't hurt to try. Can you bring an active DI?
Old 08-25-2017, 11:01 AM

I've had a look at this gigpro by LR baggs, it will surely solve my problem, but i don't want to spend money on a DI if i can just use the DI at the venue with a booster. Thanks for the help
Old 08-25-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akafloyd View Post
I've never had trouble using a passive DI with a passive mag pickup. I would prefer a hotter signal but it's ok. A boost pedal can help but some have funky eq curves, can't hurt to try. Can you bring an active DI?
Actually the spark booster is a clean boost with 4 knobs (gain, volume, treble and bass) so i can also change the EQ if i need.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
di box, mixer, passive, woody