The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 06:08 PM

Great review. I'm looking forward to the next one.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
So, in short, you seem pretty disappointed.
Yep, I came to the same conclusion. It's a pity considering how much he would have paid for it, to hate it so much!

I'd hate to be Jason, he must have a huge target on his back right now!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 11-18-2015, 11:00 AM

Congratulations Eric. I hope the guitar brings you years of joy. Thank you for taking the time to put together such an awesome thread. Very informative and entertaining.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicov View Post
Great review Eric. You're a lucky guy.
You both are!
When Eric was talking about that special guitar that stands out, I immediately thought if your Kostal OM. Man, if Eric's sounds anything like that - and it looks like it does - then he has a real monster instrument on his hands.

Really looking forward to the OM vs MD comparison Eric. I went into this with some pretty strong preconceptions but a couple of years down the line, living with both guitars has modified my thoughts, pun intended.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 12-11-2015, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

So the question I get asked a bunch is which one do you like better? I love my steak, but I also love my pork. Is there a better? Or does one satisfy a certain craving?

After having much time to play the guitars side by side, there are a ton of thoughts that have gone through my head. When I first received my OM, I kept wanting to go back to my Modified Dread. I had one friend tell me that the OM is the better guitar hands down. He said you only go back to the Mod D because its more familiar. And there is a lot of truth to the statement about the familiar. You can have an old pair of jeans that are your favorite or a pair of shoes that are the most comfortable. Does it make it better than a newer one that is made by the same builder?

The Modified Dread feels more played in. It should since its 4 years older! Even the way the tuners tune the guitar. They are the same gotohs, but worn in. They just feel right!

My Mod D was built in the Somogyi shop and I wanted it to be as much like a Somogyi as possible but for Jason to still have the freedom to add his own magic. The top was built lighter than his newer guitars and things were more similar to Ervin's build. I wanted that deep haunting Somogyi bass that would give you chills as you hit that low note. I wanted the bass you would feel in your chest and when the low notes ring, you just think to yourself, wow!

The OM was built 100% in Jason's shop and built his new way. Jason said to me that it was real fun to bring this new guitar to Woodstock because 4 years prior, he came from the Somogyi shop. Before it felt like he was bringing what he was learning. With the OM, he was bringing what he has learned. Not just what he has learned from Ervin, but what he has developed on his time and in his own shop. As you know with luthier built guitars, they strive to build the next guitar better than the previous. They keep evolving as a builder and learn what works for them.

The OM just works for me too! It really does! If you have been following this thread, you have heard numerous time what I wanted out of this guitar. I wanted balance, thick trebles, and a surgical almost sterile clarity to the guitar. And from my previous review, I think you already know that I am extremely satisfied with the results. Jason blew all of my expectations away again!

I spoke to Jason and I told him that I absolutely love both guitars. I feel as if asked Jason to build me the so called perfect guitar, or a guitar that all others could be compared to, his OM would be it. I'm not saying its the end all and be all of all things acoustic, I'm saying when I ask Jason to build me his perfect guitar, this is it. We want that balance, we want that clarity, we want that sustain, etc.....

The Modified Dread gives you a bigger voice and a deeper sound that physics won't allow the OM to have. This difference breaks off from the perfect ideal and brings in another dimension. It brings in other aspects that the OM doesn't have. This doesn't make the OM less of a guitar, it just allows the Mod D to accentuate a different aspect of the guitar.

Its like if you had a guitar EQ'd the way you want it to sound perfect in a particular song. If you wanted that recording to sound a little darker and a little deeper, you'd change the settings. You might cut a little here and add a little there. Then you in a sense have the same sound, but its different. Since they come from the same builder and the same DNA, the guitars are definitely the same family, but one leans in a different direction.

So when people ask me, which one is better, my typical answer is whatever one I am playing!

When playing these two guitars side by side, there are three very different things that stick out immediately. I guess these are differences that have evolved over time, but seeing the two builds four years apart, its neat to see the differences. I've talked with Jason about these changes, but until the next time, take a quick look at the differences!

Different Nut Size (bottom Mod-D/top OM):

Different Bridge Thickness (left side Mod-D/right side OM):

Recessed Pins and Non-Recessed (left side Mod-D/right side OM):

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D

Last edited by ericcsong; 12-11-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Eric, which one is which on the bridge? Is he using a shorter bridge now with recessed pins?
Old 12-19-2015, 03:07 PM

Eric, thanks for posting the sound clip. Nice playing especially considering the monster tunes you were tackling.

So what's next for you? As much as this thread has been epic, we're all looking forward to the next episode.

I vote a 00 BRW/German...

Quote:
Eric, which one is which on the bridge? Is he using a shorter bridge now with recessed pins?
The Mod-D is on the left.

If I could spec a guitar from Jason I'd go with a really vibrant rosette...
Old 12-19-2015, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

I had a heck of a time getting the pins out of my Mod D because they were recessed. Having them stick out as with a standard guitar is an improvement, in my opinion, even though the recessed pins look cool.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

Sorry, I was missing for a few days. Working at the church keeps be busy around the Christmas time

Quote:
Yes, Mau is correct and I edited my picture post. The Mod-D is on the left. The older builds had the thinner bridge and the recessed pins. For me, they are a little harder to get out as well, but once you get used to them, its not too bad. I really do prefer the look to them, but Jason told me that the pins used back then (also by Somogyi and a few other apprentices) are no longer being made. I think they were handmade pins and the builder stopped making them.

As for the nut change in size, I think the same issue was that the supplier for the wider nut blanks either stopped supplying them or Jason went with a different guy. No specific reason (tone or guitar building wise) for a smaller nut, just a matter of getting the material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Eric, thanks for posting the sound clip. Nice playing especially considering the monster tunes you were tackling.

So what's next for you? As much as this thread has been epic, we're all looking forward to the next episode.

I vote a 00 BRW/German...
Mau, I'm gonna try to post more sound clips soon. That was a quick first take on those pieces. If I had more time to practice recording, I think I could do a bit better. I did this at my friends place and he has everything set up to record. I find that playing on my couch for fun and playing behind a mic to try to capture the best possible tone are two very different animals! I think I move too much behind the mic

As for what's next, I'm not really sure just yet! On one hand, the 00 sounds very appealing because it is a very comfortable guitar. One side of me loves that idea, and the other side is not sure I want to spend that kind of money on that small of a body? I'm a pretty big guy so the OM feels plenty comfy for me!

On the other hand, a Jumbo sounds very appealing for a big powerful monster of a guitar. As much as I love that idea, often times I associate jumbos as more of a strumming guitar. I know that isn't the case at all! I also feel that if it isn't as comfortable as the smaller guitars, perhaps it might not get as much playing time? I am keeping my Ryan Cathedral so that gives me a big guitar in my stable!

I don't own a 12th fret either so that opens up a few other possibilities.
Maybe a 12th fret OM to compliment this one or a Mahogany OM for another good compliment. I also love cedar guitars so maybe I need to commission a first cedar Kostal guitar? Too many possibilities in the future. One problem is that the GAS is cured right now but the itch will come back maybe in 2016 or later? Good thing 2016 is only a few days away!

Last edited by ericcsong; 12-27-2015 at 06:20 AM.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
Recessed Pins and Non-Recessed (left side Mod-D/right side OM):
Yes, the "old" style is on the left. My MD was the first guitar out of Jason's new shop. The recess gives the pins a great "sleek" look but after spending ages trying to get them out when changing strings, I raised the possibility that this might be one situation where function should outweigh form.

I think a lot had to do with the fact that Jason is no lightweight so my first string change entailed removing the pins that he had inserted - man, I needed some spinach for that. I've not really had any problems since. I also like to rub a little candlewax on the pin shaft also.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 12-27-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
As for what's next, I'm not really sure just yet! On one hand, the 00 sounds very appealing because it is a very comfortable guitar. One side of me loves that idea, and the other side is not sure I want to spend that kind of money on that small of a body? I'm a pretty big guy so the OM feels plenty comfy for me!
I was playing my MD and OM yesterday and the OM really does feel a huge amount smaller - it's an extremely comfortable guitar. I'm not sure the 00 would be significantly more comfortable (and I'm a small guy!) so I'd only be looking at that if I was after the tonal difference.

Quote:
Too many possibilities in the future. One problem is that the GAS is cured right now but the itch will come back maybe in 2016 or later? Good thing 2016 is only a few days away!
Eric, you have some stellar steel strings. If the itch returns, why not do what I did and make a bigger jump - I tried nylon (driven by hearing some really interesting modern repertoire) and got huge personal satisfaction from a whole new world of music that then opened up to me. As ever, our choices should always be driven by the music we wish to make.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 12-27-2015, 12:44 PM

wow what a guitar
what a thread 280 rep's, took ages to read and ogle at the pictures, I see now why Kostal is the 'Founders Choice'.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
I was playing my MD and OM yesterday and the OM really does feel a huge amount smaller - it's an extremely comfortable guitar. I'm not sure the 00 would be significantly more comfortable (and I'm a small guy!) so I'd only be looking at that if I was after the tonal difference.

Eric, you have some stellar steel strings. If the itch returns, why not do what I did and make a bigger jump - I tried nylon (driven by hearing some really interesting modern repertoire) and got huge personal satisfaction from a whole new world of music that then opened up to me. As ever, our choices should always be driven by the music we wish to make.

Cheers,
Steve
Steve, I think the 00 is definitely more comfortable than the OM, but I think the OM is small enough for me. I have thought about the nylon jump before because I had a cheaper one many many years ago and absolutely loved it. We will see what happens when the time comes for the next one

Quote:
Originally Posted by westman View Post
wow what a guitar
what a thread 280 rep's, took ages to read and ogle at the pictures, I see now why Kostal is the 'Founders Choice'.
Thanks for tuning in! Its been a fun time sharing the journey!

I had to leave to visit family in Arkansas and found my friend's dog loving the Kostal

Old 01-06-2016, 12:41 AM
Charter Member

Default Ha!

Quote:
Steve, I think the 00 is definitely more comfortable than the OM, but I think the OM is small enough for me. I have thought about the nylon jump before because I had a cheaper one many many years ago and absolutely loved it. We will see what happens when the time comes for the next one

Thanks for tuning in! Its been a fun time sharing the journey!

I had to leave to visit family in Arkansas and found my friend's dog loving the Kostal
That's too much! And boy does that dogs guitar sound good
Old 01-15-2016, 02:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

I was just paid a most amazing visit by Eric Song. He brought both of his Kostal guitars with him, the modified-D and the OM that are featured on this post. I was so blown away!! First of all, Eric is a remarkable player, very capable of showcasing the stunning power, clarity, rich and full sound of both guitars. I will not soon forget this day.

Second, the craftsmanship and beauty of Jason Kostal guitars is simply breathtaking. It was so exciting for me to be able to closely examine everything about these guitars. Outstanding, period. But for me, what really matters is what happens when you begin to play one. When your body has a physical reaction to the sound coming from the guitar, a near "worshipful" type experience, you know you're are handling something very special, very special indeed. this happened to me, not once but twice as I played both of these guitars. Truly marvelous.

thank you Eric for reaching out to me via the AGF community. You are such a talented player, I look forward to many more visits, listening to you play and talk guitars. And please, take great care of those Kostal guitars. Wow!!

my current guitars;
2014 personal build eir/cedar 25.4
2020 Irvin SJ eir/tunnel 13 redwood top 25.5

guitars I have owned;
1977 Martin D-28
2006 Tom Doerr Legacy Select
1956 Gretsch White Falcon
2011 Taylor GA3e
1967 Silvertone
1969 Stella Harmony
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop