The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-15-2019, 01:51 PM

Default Martin Custom D anybody?

Its been a few years since Ive bought a new guitar. Man prices have sure gone up! I found myself looking at a few less expensive Martin's but they either didnt have a case or they were still just more than I wanted to spend. So whats the run down on these custom D's? All solid wood and a hardshell case for under 1k? I assume theres no back binding and the finish is super thin satin. Are they still made in Nazareth? That will be a real letdown of not.

2021 Taylor 114e
2020 Martin 000-18
2020 Martin LXME
Old 10-15-2019, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

The Custom D line is a really good value. I had the rosewood version for a while and it was an excellent guitar. It is a satin finish but it's a very good satin finish. No binding or bling just good solid wood Martin tone and quality. Made in the USA and comes with a hardshell case. The bracing is the same as the 15 series.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 10-15-2019, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

If you're not hung up on made in the USA guitars, Eastmans are a tremendous value for the money. You can get incredible guitars for 1000 or less.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:40 PM

The Custom D is a good guitar. No two ways about it.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:44 PM

It looks like the next in line is the Ovankol dread they have for 1299. It has binding and a gloss top but no hardshell case and the micarta fingerboard. Looking forward to trying a Classic D. I saw musicians friend has them for 949 and the returns for 749. The hardshell cases are close to 200. Seems like a deal.

2021 Taylor 114e
2020 Martin 000-18
2020 Martin LXME
Old 10-15-2019, 03:05 PM

Had to look up the specs. According to a Reverb ad:

"Custom D is equipped with a simple dovetail neck joint. This glued, neck-to-body joint allows the neck and body of the guitar to resonate as one instrument. Like many of the world’s finest string instruments, the dovetail does not have any bolts that limit sustain and change the color of the acoustic sound."

Guess it'll sound better than my bolt-laden guitar.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:16 PM

in my search for details someone mentioned the 'made in nazareth' stamp isn't on this model, but is in the paperwork included with the guitar. That seems like a bummer. Can anyone confirm this? Seems like it would be somewhere on the guitar.

2021 Taylor 114e
2020 Martin 000-18
2020 Martin LXME
Old 10-15-2019, 03:48 PM

The Martin custom D is made in the US and they are great guitars. I don't see how you can go wrong with these guitars. I have played one of these and I don't see how you could do much better for what these cost with out spending a lot more money. I mean 950 bucks for an all solid wood US made guitar with a hard shell case too. You really should just try one of these guitars. I don't think you will be disappointed. And if you don't like it, send it back.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazine View Post
in my search for details someone mentioned the 'made in nazareth' stamp isn't on this model, but is in the paperwork included with the guitar. That seems like a bummer. Can anyone confirm this? Seems like it would be somewhere on the guitar.
I bought one of these last year from MF. Mine does have the made in Nazareth stamp. My only complaint with this guitar is the nut size, but it obviously wasn't a deal breaker. Overall, this guitar sounds and plays great.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazine View Post
Mine is stamped with Nazareth.

Here's how the Custom D compares to a D-18:
-braces are not scalloped or forward shifted
-satin finish
-different neck joint
-different nut size (which I prefer)

Mine is an absolutely wonderful guitar, and after ten years of play seems to be getting better all the time. I've just shifted to Retro strings on it, and that's been transformative. Really nice. I would buy another one tomorrow.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:57 PM

I've got an 2003 Custom D that I picked up for $600 a little over a year ago, an absolute steal. It's a wonderful guitar, with the 1-11/16th neck being the only thing I wish was different, since I prefer 1-3/4 nuts. But it's still very playable, and it's a true Martin with that Martin sound! I've got no complaints, and it's easily a good deal at anything up to a grand. The only guitar I have that really sounds better is my Yairi that I paid 3x as much for.

It is basically a D-15, but with spruce top rather than all Mahogany. I don't know how the current ones may differ, but mine has tortoise shell binding, which is very thin on the front of the guitar, really only visible on the sides, but none on the back. It has a white/black/white pin stripe around the sound hole. Otherwise, not ornate at all. The thin satin finish probably is good for the sound, and looks fine I think. It's a plan Jane guitar that is all about play ability and quality sound. If you want fancy, get a D-45...and be prepared empty your bank account of everything you have in it....Lol.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:47 AM

I have one that I picked up for a great priced used about a year ago. I don't have experience with high end guitars so I don't have a reference to compare it too but it sounds amazing, like what I think a Martin dread is supposed to.

From what I understand, they are Guitar Center/MF exclusives which is likely why it is so hard to get much info on them.

I saw another guitar in GC recently called something like Road Series Special in a grand performer size, all sepele. I emailed Martin to ask about it but they never responded. I'm assuming it is another exclusive but I loved it. I really prefer not to buy from GC but I do like that guitar and it's $759.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:43 PM

I've got one and love it. It is very loud and has a deep bass if you go for that.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:07 PM

I received the custom d today. Btw, this was a level 2 return for $749. It still had the plastic on the pick guard and was as minty as it ever was. I added a passive pickup with endpin jack, slightly lowered the saddle, and restrung it with some earthwood 80/20s simply because they were cheap and I had 2 sets left from a 3 pack. So far so good. It sounds great. It certainly has an almost unfinished feel to it. It's almost like bare wood sliding my hand across the neck. I think it will wear in nicely after several years of play. I'll bet the neck will clean up after playing a few weeks. So, first impressions are very good. The construction seems flawless. I kind of wonder if a builder couldn't take one of these and give it a high end gloss finish. If you think you want one of these id definitely say you can trust their returns and don't fret if it says level 2. That must mean minty. Enjoy!

2021 Taylor 114e
2020 Martin 000-18
2020 Martin LXME
Old 10-19-2019, 10:56 AM

Glad to hear that you are happy with the custom D Martin. I thought you probably would be. I can't believe you actually got it for 750 bucks. That's even a better deal than the original price. I was a little curious how it compares to your Taylors. Do you like it better or is it just about equal to them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion