The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-13-2021, 12:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
These last two instruments are looking REALLY NICE!!!

I love the headstock with the straight string pull across the Nut...

Woohoo

Salud

Paul

Hey Paul,
Thanks for your comment. Straight string pull was the impetus behind the design…along with the desire to develop a more modern profile. I’ve been very pleased with the results…both mechanically and aesthetically.

The Soundbox of the Mango guitar is now buttoned up and the bindings are installed…including the arm bevel cap…and we’ve moved on to building the neck. I’ve also begun a new client-build using figured Pink Gum and mastergrade Alaskan Sitka.

IMG_5276.jpg

IMG_5305.jpg

IMG_5304.jpg

IMG_5307.jpg

IMG_5308.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

On a side note…I’m a very proud Poppa right now. I’ve always hoped that my 14-yr-old son, Zane, would become interested in playing the guitar…but I didn’t want to push him into it. He’s played trombone and euphonium in the school band since 6th grade…and this past December decided that he wanted to learn guitar. He’s progressed by leaps and bounds in seven short months, and is now playing with the youth pastor at church on Wednesday nights. Here he is putting the newly-finished room over my shop to good use (don’t worry, he plays the acoustic too)…

IMG_4870.jpg

IMG_4857.jpg

IMG_4827.jpg

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS

Last edited by Joel Teel; 08-19-2021 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

While the Pyinma “Venus 00” guitar (being built for Tom’s BIG event in September) has been waiting for wet-sanding and final assembly, I’ve been making good progress on the Tropical-Mango Venus…..and I’ve just started Jo’s Paisley-Pink Gum Venus…meaning this will be the third 00 guitar I’ve built in a row.

Here are some progress pictures on the neck for the Tropical-Mango Venus:

IMG_5313.jpg

IMG_5314.jpg

IMG_5315.jpg

IMG_5318.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

And here are a couple of pictures of the Paisley-Pink Gum sides being bent on the LMI side bending machine (you can see the back plates glued-up and profiled in the background:

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

Thanks for continuing to check in on the shop happenings.

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 07-19-2021, 02:07 PM

I would just like to say that Joel's guitars were the talk of the town at the first B.I.G. No one could believe the quality of guitar he brought and the sound. I would highly recommend getting ahold of a Two Hands Guitar, preferably by coming to B.I.G. this year, but if not, somehow, somewhere.
Old 07-19-2021, 02:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I would just like to say that Joel's guitars were the talk of the town at the first B.I.G. No one could believe the quality of guitar he brought and the sound. I would highly recommend getting ahold of a Two Hands Guitar, preferably by coming to B.I.G. this year, but if not, somehow, somewhere.
Whoa…..thanks for the love Tom…..but if I’m being totally honest, the talk of BIGv1.0 was the actual event itself!!! The entire weekend was so over-the-top-amazing that if BIGv2.0 is anywhere close to being as good…or (God have mercy on us) even BIG(ger) than the first…..you’ll be auctioning off attendance tickets to the highest bidders for BIGv3.0

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 07-20-2021, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for all the progress pics of your latest guitars, Joel--they all look wonderful!

And there ain't nothing sweeter than having a son (or daughter) that shares your love of music and guitars! What a blessing indeed...

Now let's see pics of him playing a Two Hands Guitar!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 07-21-2021, 05:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Teel View Post

On a side note…I’m a very proud Poppa right now. I’ve always hoped that my 14-yr-old son, Zane, would become interested in playing the guitar…but I didn’t want to push him into it. He’s played trombone and euphonium in the school band since 6th grade…and this past December decided that he wanted to learn guitar. He’s progressed by leaps and bounds in seven short months, and is now playing with the youth pastor at church on Wednesday nights. Here he is putting the newly-finished room over my shop to good use (don’t worry, he plates the acoustic too)…

Attachment 59430

Attachment 59431

Attachment 59432
I see the next Jimmy Page in the making 👍
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 07-29-2021, 09:55 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
I see the next Jimmy Page in the making [emoji106]

Bob, If my hair looked like that I’d grow it long...even at my age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Thanks for all the progress pics of your latest guitars, Joel--they all look wonderful!

And there ain't nothing sweeter than having a son (or daughter) that shares your love of music and guitars! What a blessing indeed...

Now let's see pics of him playing a Two Hands Guitar!

Hi Kevin,
He’s mine, and I’m sure there’s a little bias in the following statement...but Zane is a really good person, and I’m proud to call him my son. To watch how quickly he’s progressing on the guitar is just icing on the cake. I let him keep my ‘93 Taylor712 in his room...but he loves when we go up in the music room and he gets to play one of mine.

I’ve started wet-sanding the Pyinma Venus-00...what do y’all think?

https://youtu.be/aue87UjmkvU

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS

Last edited by TomB'sox; 07-29-2021 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Embedded video
Old 08-19-2021, 11:55 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Two Hands Guitars (shop update)

My prototype Double-0 guitar is officially ready for BIGv2, and I couldn’t be happier with the results. We’ll be doing the studio photography on Sunday or Monday, and I’ll be posting in Tom’s BIGv2 thread next week to introduce the guitars that will be accompanying me to the show. In the meantime, here are a few iPhone photos and some quick specs:

“Venus” 00 model
Flamed Pyinma back & sides (Southeast Asian hardwood)
Mastergrade Alaskan Sitka soundboard
25” scale-length (joined at the 12th fret)
1-3/4” nut
2-1/4” string-spread at the saddle
Katalox binding with Pyinma purflings and blue veneer lines
Laskin-style arm bevel
Bound soundport
Pyinma burl rosette with abalone rings
Gold mini-Gotoh tuners

Thanks for looking…

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS

Last edited by Joel Teel; 08-19-2021 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-20-2021, 08:11 AM

Looks fantastic Joel, I will be very excited to try it with the Pyinma wood (spelling that is tough, not sure how you say it!). I am sure the chatoyance is amazing on it.
Old 08-20-2021, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Awesome, Joel--loving your new 00-shape and can't wait to try it out!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 08-20-2021, 07:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Looks fantastic Joel, I will be very excited to try it with the Pyinma wood (spelling that is tough, not sure how you say it!). I am sure the chatoyance is amazing on it.
Thanks Tom,
Funny, but I’ve never questioned how I pronounce it…until now. I believe it’s “Pie-in-muh” but not totally sure.
Just the other day I was blinded by the chatoyance, tripped over my work bench and fell into the depths of the figure in the back. Fortunately I was able to swim to the edge and climb over the rim before I drowned ;D

-joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 08-20-2021, 07:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Awesome, Joel--loving your new 00-shape and can't wait to try it out!
Thanks Kevin,
I’m looking forward to seeing you guys again in a couple of weeks.
-joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 08-21-2021, 05:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

Beautiful guitar! I look forward to meeting you, Joel, at BIG. Dave
Old 08-21-2021, 03:59 PM

Default Howdy Neighbor

Dang, Joel, I couldn't find anywhere else to put this. Please forgive if it's in the wrong place.
Hi. I'm a new member. I also build guitars, but shan't say much about that yet, since I have not yet registered as a sponsor. However, I live in Fairhope Alabahama, only a few hundred yards from Joel's and Steve's shop.
Serendipity was working overtime when I learned about Two Hands Guitars and how close to me it was. I live (and work) on Windmill Road; it dead-ends about one block East at a wood, with a creek through it, that's maybe a couple hundred yards wide. It's an Alabahama woods, so it's filled with undergrowth and some swamp by the creek, so it's pretty much a no-go zone.
On the other side of the wood is another street, pointing West, that dead ends, similarly, on the other side. Surprise, surprise, that's Grant Road; and a block or so, up Grant Road, is Joel's and Steve's shop!
So, make an OK sign, but separate your finger and thumb tips by maybe 1/8 inch. I live at your index finger cuticle, Joel lives at your thumb cuticle, but to get from one to the other, you must go all the way round the circle. Dang !!
Met and visited with both of them. Like them both, A LOT! Joel is the one who encouraged me to join this forum. I just wanted to let him know I did, and let the rest of the community know he has the utmost respect of other, local, folks. Ciao.
John Eldredge
Old 08-22-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eldredge View Post
Dang, Joel, I couldn't find anywhere else to put this. Please forgive if it's in the wrong place.
Hi. I'm a new member. I also build guitars, but shan't say much about that yet, since I have not yet registered as a sponsor. However, I live in Fairhope Alabahama, only a few hundred yards from Joel's and Steve's shop.
Serendipity was working overtime when I learned about Two Hands Guitars and how close to me it was. I live (and work) on Windmill Road; it dead-ends about one block East at a wood, with a creek through it, that's maybe a couple hundred yards wide. It's an Alabahama woods, so it's filled with undergrowth and some swamp by the creek, so it's pretty much a no-go zone.
On the other side of the wood is another street, pointing West, that dead ends, similarly, on the other side. Surprise, surprise, that's Grant Road; and a block or so, up Grant Road, is Joel's and Steve's shop!
So, make an OK sign, but separate your finger and thumb tips by maybe 1/8 inch. I live at your index finger cuticle, Joel lives at your thumb cuticle, but to get from one to the other, you must go all the way round the circle. Dang !!
Met and visited with both of them. Like them both, A LOT! Joel is the one who encouraged me to join this forum. I just wanted to let him know I did, and let the rest of the community know he has the utmost respect of other, local, folks. Ciao.
John Eldredge

Welcome to the forum John. I can see the roads and the swamp woods in my minds eye....sounds like an industrial weedwhacker and a redneck bridge might be in order!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop