The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-17-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
Have to admit that, because of an injury, I did not fly at all in 2016...I certainly HOPE SWA hasn't changed its policy on guitars.

Anyone else out there recently flown SWA with a guitar? I'd sure like to find if what happened to the OP is a blip or a change of policy.
I flew 4 times from Chicago with SW in 2016, and one time so far in 2017. Nothing changed. Still THE BEST guitar-friendly company.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:17 AM

any experiences with international flight?
Old 04-18-2017, 06:59 AM

I leave today for 3 weeks in Europe but, obviously, not SW. I've never had an issue there either.

Last edited by ManyMartinMan; 04-18-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slianto View Post
any experiences with international flight?
None so far, after several excursions.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

I have posted this before, this has been my experience over 30 years or more of travel with guitars.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this helps. I have flown literally hundreds of times with guitars, more often than not long haul and never with a "travel" guitar. At one time my guitar for use abroad was a Martin HD28 in its Martin case but these days I fly with anything not likely to breach CITES regulations. My last trip, involving 4 Lufthansa flights was to Nice in September 16 and I took my McAlister Nick Lucas which would cost well north of £5000 to replace but is insured all risks. I carried it on all flights. 95% of the time I carry my guitar on board, and now almost exclusively it will be in a Calton case. I do avoid Ryanair who will charge £100 whether the guitar is normal or travel and EasyJet although I did carry on board with them at no cost a few years ago. Last Easter I flew with BA long haul and carried on a guitar in an Ameritage case and a banjo in a Calton. Nobody queried either instrument or that I had two.

The secret is firstly NEVER ASK IF IT IS OK!! NEVER!!! They have to give you what the rules say. Respond only if challenged. Check in online and if you only have hand luggage you can go straight to the gate. I arrive there with a sizeable backpack or case as well as the guitar. Make sure your seat is near the back as you may be called early and there are usually more empty seats and overhead lockers. Larger aircraft, 777 747 etc have closets that staff will put your instrument in. When I flew with guitar and banjo the guitar went in a closet near the door and the banjo in a closet at the rear.

Not long ago at Heathrow waiting to board a transatlantic flight they were preparing to do the pre-board of those needing assistance. I went to the front and said "if I give you a big smile would you take pity on me and let me go through now and get my guitar stowed". It worked !

1 insure
2 don't ask
3 check in online
4 sit at the back
5 stay calm and smile
6 Never get annoyed
7 Enjoy a good guitar whilst away.
8 Save money you would otherwise spend on a travel guitar.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 04-18-2017, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
Have to admit that, because of an injury, I did not fly at all in 2016...I certainly HOPE SWA hasn't changed its policy on guitars.

Anyone else out there recently flown SWA with a guitar? I'd sure like to find if what happened to the OP is a blip or a change of policy.
Phil, I have recently flown SW Austin round trip to SF, San Jose, Oakland ...and one 2-legged trip to Raleigh on Southwest since January, once with GS Mini, the other with OM in hardcase, no problem at all ... as usual a few good music chats ensued ... ended up sitting with this other player, and had a great trip talking guitars and music for almost 3 hours. Years of doing this now, and I think I was asked to gate check once -- before the new rules started.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
airlines, carry on, gs mini, plane, travel