The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-03-2014, 08:31 PM

Default Taylor GS Mini added to BTO?

I was wondering if any of the Taylor fans here had some insider information on whether the mighty Mini will ever make it to the BTO list? I think it will be a hit.

Everyone emphasizes that it's a great travel guitar, but I think of it more as an excellent parlour guitar.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

More than anything, I think the reason they don't offer GSM BTO options is it would canibalize other products. It is great at its intended application (travel, durable guitar) and as a marketing vehicle (in true Taylor fashion). People laugh at mine when they see it, then they hear it and want to play. Then they play it. Then they ask inevitably how much. And then 3 guys have bought their own. But what is more interesting, and would love to hear Ted on this one, is it opens their minds up to Taylor -- because a lot of my player friends (mid 40s to mid 50s) are die hard Martin and Gibson guys and don't take Taylor very seriously. Then there is this. 2 of those guys bought big Taylors (real ones as they put it) and one of those 2 is all Taylor now (while I am considering selling my big one to get a RW version of my D18vs).

The BTO option might take a serious bite out of up sales in other words.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:30 PM

Don't know the answer to that but if it was to be BTO, it would sell an incredible number based solely on 1.75 spacing.

It seems to be the number one reason why folks don't buy a mini...
Old 09-04-2014, 02:46 AM

I think all solid wood GS mini has great potential. They could utilize wood sets that are too small to make a full size guitar.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:26 AM

I agree with email4eric. The main reason I have not considered buying a mini is the narrow nut. I have played them in stores and like the concept and tone, just not the narrow nut. (I'm used to 1.75" and 1 13/16" nut widths).

Pjroberts makes good points as well. However, if enough folks bug Taylor long enough about the narrow nut, they may actually offer a 1.75 nut on the mini. Who knows?

Bill

2002 Taylor GA 12-string custom: sitka/mahogany
2013 Greven OOO: Lutz/Brazilian
2021 Greven OO-12 fret: Lutz/Brazilian
2017 Rainsong Al Petteway Ltd. OOO: carbon fiber
2017 Birdsong Especial II Bass: Cypress/Rosewood
Old 09-04-2014, 03:51 AM

I like the wider but as well. I sold mine because I could not get use to it. I want an all solid wood with a slotted headstock all gloss with a 1 3\4 with a Adirondack top with mahaogny or rosewood.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikravchik View Post
Everyone emphasizes that it's a great travel guitar, but I think of it more as an excellent parlour guitar.
Me too!! The GS Mini is a wonderful design. The arched laminated back works great for Gibson arch tops and for the old Guild Jumbos. It works great for this little small bodied Taylor too. I've seen some great quality spruce and mahogany tops on these Minis. It's a winning combination .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gs mini