The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-01-2021, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Cool Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozeman View Post
Can anybody recommend a small mixer/preamp with a few effects of just chorus/delay/reverb for my new bose L1 pro 16? i'd hate to spend $500 on the TS4 for just a few effects that I use. Maybe something in the $150/$200 range that's durable and easy to use?
I wouldn't discount the Bose mixers. I know they're pricey but what you get is SO MUCH MORE than 'just a few effects".

I bought one of the T1 mixer/tone generators when I got my first Bose L1 (Classic), and I've kept it and used it with my newer Bose L1 Model II, as well as my AER Compact 60. Although the T1 only has 5 inputs (only 3 mic/line in's), that's been plenty for me as as a solo performer, with 6 and 12 string guitars and voice. Occasionally I will have someone "sit in", and I've thus far been able to handle that with the 5 total inputs.

The newer T4 and T8 look very good to me, as well. More straightforward than the T1, so far as a mixer goes, but I believe they still have all the Tonematch presets (for guitars, pickups and mics, as well as MANY other instruments), and each channel is individually eq's and "treated" as you want - and then the whole outgoing mix can be "saved" as a scene. All the effects are individually assignable...

These are simply wonderful mixers, and they were designed to work in concert with the Bose L1's... if you can find one, you could probably pick up a T1 with power cord for around $150-200. On mine, I run ONE cord from the mixer to the base unit of my L1, and that both powers the mixer and sends signal to the PA. Using a small tray on my mic stand and short cords, there's only the one cord onstage... very clean set-up. I believe the T4 works like this, but the T8 needs more AC and has it's own power cord... the Bose Forum is a great resource for your new system...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 07-01-2021, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I wouldn't discount the Bose mixers. I know they're pricey but what you get is SO MUCH MORE than 'just a few effects".

I bought one of the T1 mixer/tone generators when I got my first Bose L1 (Classic), and I've kept it and used it with my newer Bose L1 Model II, as well as my AER Compact 60. Although the T1 only has 5 inputs (only 3 mic/line in's), that's been plenty for me as as a solo performer, with 6 and 12 string guitars and voice. Occasionally I will have someone "sit in", and I've thus far been able to handle that with the 5 total inputs.

The newer T4 and T8 look very good to me, as well. More straightforward than the T1, so far as a mixer goes, but I believe they still have all the Tonematch presets (for guitars, pickups and mics, as well as MANY other instruments), and each channel is individually eq's and "treated" as you want - and then the whole outgoing mix can be "saved" as a scene. All the effects are individually assignable...

These are simply wonderful mixers, and they were designed to work in concert with the Bose L1's... if you can find one, you could probably pick up a T1 with power cord for around $150-200. On mine, I run ONE cord from the mixer to the base unit of my L1, and that both powers the mixer and sends signal to the PA. Using a small tray on my mic stand and short cords, there's only the one cord onstage... very clean set-up. I believe the T4 works like this, but the T8 needs more AC and has it's own power cord... the Bose Forum is a great resource for your new system...
I actually just bought a brand new Bose T4S on reverb from a guy who had his and then decided he needed a 8 channel instead. He never used the T4s, I picked it up for $400 which is a pretty good deal that I couldn't pass up
Old 07-22-2021, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Went into GC to look at the Bose L1 Pro 8 mainly. The salesman asked my usage and I told him "solo acoustic--one guitar, one vocal). He immediately tries to steer me to the EV Evolve 30 and stated that it "blows away" the Bose, he then proceeds to shake the column of the Bose to demonstrate how "flimsy" it is. So he "auditioned" the EV, and blasted it way loud with big thumping bass, to demonstrate the "blow away" factor haha. i told him that the sound was way far removed from what I was after, and he said, well you can just dial it in the way you like. I also commented that one of the Bose features I liked was the wider dispersion, which he said you can compensate for on the EV by turning up the reverb. I asked to hear the Bose, and something with the store outlet was messed up, so it only played for about 10 seconds, but immediately it sounded more appropriate. Now I'm not saying that EV couldn't be dialed in to sound less aggressive, but the bottom line is that I've yet to meet a salesman in a GC, or other stores for that matter, that doesn't have a strong opinion about what they like, and they will try to steer you that way. None of them have been solo acoustic experts either. Honestly, I think the only way to compare PA gear objectively is to take your own rig and spend some time messing with the stuff, or even more optimally (and more $$), buy both and return one within your 45 day timeline (assuming it's from GC). Frustrating!
Old 07-22-2021, 10:31 AM

Stringm, maybe this is obvious, but some equipment can be rented to try at home.
Also, networking with friends and acquaintances could allow you try their rig.
They may even help you home in on “your sound”.

Much saner than any store I’ve ever been to. Boutique stores are easier than GC.
The service they give is worth the extra $$ you might pay. And maybe you’ll only have to buy once. :-p

Hope this helps, _Roger
Old 07-22-2021, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPease View Post
Stringm, maybe this is obvious, but some equipment can be rented to try at home.
Also, networking with friends and acquaintances could allow you try their rig.
They may even help you home in on “your sound”.

Much saner than any store I’ve ever been to. Boutique stores are easier than GC.
The service they give is worth the extra $$ you might pay. And maybe you’ll only have to buy once. :-p

Hope this helps, _Roger
Haha, yes, I guess I was "venting" a bit.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

In 2008, when I was seriously considering buying my first L1 Model II, I actually called Guitar Center and made an appointment to come in with MY OWN guitars and mic and really audition the unit... told the salesguy on the phone that I was not gonna spend that much $$$$ on something I wasn't certain would be what I was wanting...

So, we set up a time and I hauled my two acoustics, a mic stand and my own mic in there; the manager had me set up close tot he front entry, and I sat and played actual SONGS for about a 45 minute set, with some fiddling and a basic primer from the sales person... at one point, I asked if I was playing too loud, and the manager said "Absolutely not!", and then proceeded to turn off the "house music" for me!

I was ready to buy the Model II and a T1 mixer, and at the last minute, the sales person mentioned that they had a used L1 "in back", the older model... I had him haul that out and set it up, and ended up buying it for such a good price that I bought the T1 mixer and AC adapter (needed for the older L1) and he threw in a new Shure Beta 58A for me...

I was REALLY glad to have taken the time to play through the rig before I bought it... been a very satisfied Bose L1 user since then... and I am REALLY glad I went ahead and sprung the $$$ for the T1 Tonematch mixer! It has proven to be perfect for what I need, and flexible enough to accommodate other players who were "sitting in".

After all these years, I've upgraded to a Model II system, but I still have and use my T1. Matter of fact, I just bought a very lightly used T1, with another ethernet cable and the AC adaptor, just to have as a back-up!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 09-28-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGretsch View Post
I posted this in the Pro 8 thread...

My workhorse for small venues is my Bose L1 Compact. I love this system. It’s never let me down for hundreds of gigs, rehearsals, and home practicing. My experience with the L1 is the reason I purchased the Bose Pro16 rather than the Evolve 50. I’m now playing solo shows in larger venues and need “more power”. These are rooms that I would normally play with my band. Due to the Wuhan virus, they are now only booking solo shows.

The Pro16 sounds great, but mine had a high pitched (8.5K) ringing/hiss. I exchanged it for a new one but it had the same issue. I found out later that there were others with the same issue. I was willing to put up with the wobbly tower but I just won’t accept this quality issue. Apparently the Pro8 doesn’t have this issue. My guess is that it isn’t as wobbly because the tower is lighter and not as top heavy as the Pro16.

Long story short, I am waiting for my EV Evolve 50M to be delivered. It has the mixing features of the Evolve 30M plus a few other additional features. It has two effects channels with many reverbs, echoes, choruses and compressions to choose from.
Just following up to see what your thoughts are on the 50m. How does it compare to the Pro16?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification