The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #226  
Old 05-27-2017, 09:04 PM
Guitars44me's Avatar
Guitars44me Guitars44me is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Mountains east of San Diego
Posts: 4,899
Smile Astounding

Holy Moly!!! Egads, etc...

So beautiful! Way to go guys.

Dennis you must be super stoked!!!

Have a fine fine Sunday and Monday...

Cheers

Paul
__________________
3 KILLER John Kinnaird Customs. (I owned 6)
R.T 2c 12 fret Custom
2016 552ce 12X12
R.Wilson Weissy
A few choice 90s Taylors
budget electrics, and reso
Still Too many, but
"I am OLD, and VACCINATED! Let's PARTY!
  #227  
Old 05-29-2017, 01:44 AM
akgas akgas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Wasilla Alaska
Posts: 7
Default

Wow


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
Martin d35 50th
1974 Martin d41
Martin X 12 string
Takamine EF 75m-tt
Larrivee L-05
Fender ESM-10E
various electric guitars and other stringed things
  #228  
Old 05-29-2017, 09:13 AM
Daveac Daveac is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Arlington Texas
Posts: 155
Default

Congrats Dennis, another amazing Kinnaird build in the works. I'm anxious to get your feedback on the Deep Body OM when you get a chance to spend some time playing it? While I absolutely love my SJ, there is something magical about my OM. It is the most versatile guitar I have ever owned, breezing through any type and style of music you throw at it. I assume Tom is finding the same thing with his recent build. The all wood nature of your build is beautiful and very unique. While mine is a 2011 with many hours of playing under the saddle (so to speak) I believe that yours will be fabulous right out of the box. Good luck and congrats and thanks for letting us follow along!!
__________________
Steve Kinnaird SJ Ziricote/Port Orford
Steve Kinnaird 00 Madagascar/Sinker Redwood
Rainsong JM1000N2
Joel Stehr Auditorium Myrtle/Carpathian
  #229  
Old 05-29-2017, 12:17 PM
Jobe Jobe is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,466
Default

Oh, Boy! Well didn't this come together nice! My Goodness! 'Satisfaction' should be the word of the day all around. That's my hope for all involved! Just great.
  #230  
Old 05-29-2017, 05:08 PM
Steve Kinnaird's Avatar
Steve Kinnaird Steve Kinnaird is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nacogdoches, TX
Posts: 3,165
Default

Again, many thanks for the kind words!

Steve
__________________
www.stephenkinnaird.com

Crafted in the Piney Woods
  #231  
Old 05-31-2017, 02:21 PM
cigarfan's Avatar
cigarfan cigarfan is offline
Music soothes the soul!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Within the blast radius of Washington D.C.
Posts: 4,815
Default Many thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
That looks really really cool, to be able to make something so consistent from a natural color variation in the wood is awesome. Natural herringbone! It is a perfect touch on the guitar IMO.
Gotta hand it to Steve. His suggestion. I think it turned out great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
Coming together superb....!!!
Thanks Dave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
That looks really really cool, to be able to make something so consistent from a natural color variation in the wood is awesome. Natural herringbone! It is a perfect touch on the guitar IMO.
Make that X2!!!!! WOW what great work!!

love that purfling!!
Thanks Mike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Drool!!!! ..........
Thanks Matt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowManSnow View Post
That's all really good work. Well done Mr. K. I REALLY like that it's all wood... as far as the appointments go. Really cool.
All natural ... that's what we had in mind. Thanks Brandon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Holy Moly!!! Egads, etc...

So beautiful! Way to go guys.

Dennis you must be super stoked!!!
Stoked indeed! Edge of my seat! Thanks Paul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgas View Post
Wow
Thanks Matt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveac View Post
Congrats Dennis, another amazing Kinnaird build in the works. I'm anxious to get your feedback on the Deep Body OM when you get a chance to spend some time playing it? While I absolutely love my SJ, there is something magical about my OM. It is the most versatile guitar I have ever owned, breezing through any type and style of music you throw at it. I assume Tom is finding the same thing with his recent build. The all wood nature of your build is beautiful and very unique. While mine is a 2011 with many hours of playing under the saddle (so to speak) I believe that yours will be fabulous right out of the box. Good luck and congrats and thanks for letting us follow along!!
I will be more than happy to oblige with a review later this year! Thanks Dave, for following along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe View Post
Oh, Boy! Well didn't this come together nice! My Goodness! 'Satisfaction' should be the word of the day all around. That's my hope for all involved! Just great.
Thanks Pete! We are all quite happy with the way things are shaping up.
__________________
Life is like a box of chocolates ....
  #232  
Old 05-31-2017, 02:22 PM
cigarfan's Avatar
cigarfan cigarfan is offline
Music soothes the soul!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Within the blast radius of Washington D.C.
Posts: 4,815
Default

Wrapping up the Bridge and Neck ...

I just love this Kinnaird West bridge. Shapely! Here the bridge about to get it's wings.



And with wings complete and all buffed up. The tan streaks in the Ebony should go extremely well with the rosette.



And perched pretty as a picture near it's final home.



And here, fitting the bottom of the bridge to the top.



And while everyone else was out fishing on Memorial Day ...



Final shaping. The heel cap has that nice tan streak, same as the bridge.



After the final clean up, the box will remain out in the air and the light until the Lignum Vitae achieves a nice green color. Then this baby will be off to the finisher. Wait til you see what happens to her there! I'm psyched!
__________________
Life is like a box of chocolates ....
  #233  
Old 05-31-2017, 02:37 PM
Jobe Jobe is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,466
Default

You sound excited! I know I would be. Hey, that guy with the 'Astro' tee shirt doesn't look like any CNC machine that I'm familiar with. That is curious.
  #234  
Old 05-31-2017, 04:54 PM
Montesdad Montesdad is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The OC - So Cal
Posts: 1,270
Default

Stunning guitar Dennis - - - you've all done quite well on your collaboration.

I'm checkin in everyday on this one - - - - - -
  #235  
Old 06-01-2017, 01:26 PM
SnowManSnow SnowManSnow is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 598
Default

Awesome craftsmanship. Well done!
Question: that arch w the bridge pins... do they match the arch that the rosette makes or would that be too severe? I just couldn't tell from that last pic.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  #236  
Old 06-01-2017, 01:50 PM
nacluth's Avatar
nacluth nacluth is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowManSnow View Post
Awesome craftsmanship. Well done!
Question: that arch w the bridge pins... do they match the arch that the rosette makes or would that be too severe? I just couldn't tell from that last pic.
Thanks for the compliment. No the arc of the pins follows the shape of the belly of the bridge. It would be a little severe to follow the rosette curvature. Thanks for noticing and asking.
__________________
Ryan
Kinnaird SJ - Walnut/Sitka

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
  #237  
Old 06-01-2017, 03:38 PM
cigarfan's Avatar
cigarfan cigarfan is offline
Music soothes the soul!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Within the blast radius of Washington D.C.
Posts: 4,815
Default

And, if I'm not mistaken the curve of the pins helps the bridge not to crack along the grain. Functional and a smile!
__________________
Life is like a box of chocolates ....
  #238  
Old 06-01-2017, 08:17 PM
Steve Kinnaird's Avatar
Steve Kinnaird Steve Kinnaird is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nacogdoches, TX
Posts: 3,165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe View Post
... Hey, that guy with the 'Astro' tee shirt doesn't look like any CNC machine that I'm familiar with. That is curious.
Well, all the CNC machines around here look like that. Though at times, to exert their individuality, they will wear different shirts.
Robots are crazy.
__________________
www.stephenkinnaird.com

Crafted in the Piney Woods
  #239  
Old 06-02-2017, 06:11 AM
Zacharius Zacharius is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hilton Beach, Ontario
Posts: 159
Default

Wow! This is going to be a beauty! Congrats and I look forward to watching it progress!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Zachary Lefebvre
Owner/Luthier
TreeHouse Guitars
www.treehouseguitars.com
www.facebook.com/treehouseguitars
  #240  
Old 06-02-2017, 10:53 AM
Godfather's Avatar
Godfather Godfather is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cadillac MI
Posts: 2,181
Default

This beauty is really coming together Dennis. How do you sleep at night?

At 20,000 plus thread views, I'd say you have captured the attention of a few folks!

I for one, am looking forward to the next installment of "Kinnairdly Wait"
Closed Thread

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=