The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-03-2012, 05:50 PM

okay folks that's enough, either play nice or we'll shut this one down!!!!!
Old 11-03-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
i own a plastic guitar made with high tech manipulation. That doesn't sound too exciting to me either. I screwed up. Steve
I completely agree. Please send it to me for proper disposal (don't forget the flight case either).
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 11-03-2012, 06:24 PM

Actually been an interesting thread, really, probably better than another Elixir discussion over on the wood side. Actually good we feel passionately about our instruments, but probably time to move on. Sent my guitars off to ChuckyB anyway. Off to get my Taylor and wait for the weather to change.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 11-03-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:15 PM

I've never played any carbon fiber guitars.

I have played two different Ovations, neither of which sounded like a traditional all-wood guitar to me, but I liked their sound anyway. One especially had great string definition when fingerpicked, really clear and vivid tone. Tone is pretty subjective, anyway. I've been thinking about buying an Ovation (I really like the way they play too).

That having been said, I have all-wood guitars and I don't worry about any of them. Worries about humidity and water damage and such just don't enter my mind. It might be different if I lived in some very dry or humid place.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
okay folks that's enough, either play nice or we'll shut this one down!!!!!
Good idea, Louie, but I think I've got an even better one. Since the CF vs. wood topic is interesting and certainly worthy of discussion, let's just make those who ignore our forum's number one rule go sit in the corner until they can learn to play well with others.

I'm laughing, but I'm also serious. "Be nice" is our number one rule, not an option.

cotten
Old 11-03-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed422 View Post
The idea of giving up tone for a guitar that takes less upkeep is ludicrous, to me. If a composite material guitar has the tone you want I'm all for it, but to compromise on sound so you don't have to use a humidifier? Not worth it in my book. I'm in it for the tone, not the convenience.

But no one has to have the same goals as me.

Ed
Some of us live in geographic areas that are prone to extreme mood swings in the weather. Even with temperature and humidity control, it can be challenging. Some guys even travel. That alone adds certain problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyB View Post
I'm in it for the music. I'd rather be playing music than refilling my humidifier. Not to mention the fact that I can leave my guitar in my trunk in any weather. That's not just a slight difference in upkeep. It's the difference between "no problems" and " complete failure".
Some components don't handle high temps very well.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:38 AM

The tone of my RainSong JM1000 was a revelation to me. It's my understanding that a light, flexible top on a jumbo sized guitar is hard to achieve with wood - that thinning the top, braces, etc. can only go so far before structural integrity would be compromised.

But the JM1000 can go 'all the way' so to speak - no braces, an extremely thin top (I can even flex it a little around the soundhole), no structural weakness. So I get a particular tone and responsiveness and clarity that I simply have not experienced on other jumbos - or other guitars, period. It was that sound which sold me on the guitar - the carefree aspect was a bonus. In the category of 6-string steel-string flat-top full-size / standard scale guitars, I have no GAS for anything made of wood.

That said, I consider the JM1000 a time-tested CF model. I'm not quite sold on current all-CF offerings for other types of guitars. I have a Beltona baritone resonator which is glass fiber and resin for the body and wood for the neck - couldn't be more satisfied with it, and wouldn't expect new CF models to surpass what Beltona has been refining for years. I'm still searching for a CF nylon string that really sings - not ready to commit to the relatively new offerings from Emerald or Blackbird. And I have an all-solid handcarved archtop which I love, though I would happily trade it for a CF archtop guitar that's as well-made as the Luis and Clark cellos - I just don't see that kind of guitar existing anytime soon.

I own an Emerald 12-string and an Emerald travel guitar (X7) - both were purchased for durability over tone. So they feel a bit more like compromises than my RainSong. I guess overall I'm in the 75% - 25% camp regarding CF / wood.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:34 AM

I played two gigs this weekend. Friday night one of our regular crowd wanted to play my CO-DR1100N2. With no cares I let him at it and I showed him how light it was to carry around in a gig bag (which due to broken headstocks and easily cracked sides I would never do with a Martin). I remember how I used to go crazy letting people try my Martin dreadnought (since the lacquer is so easily scarred). Last night we played an out door bonfire (well away from the fire). It was 39F by the end of the last set. My partner was constantly re-tuning his Taylor and asking if I thought the temperature was going to hurt his guitar (I said I did not think it was an issue). I only re-tuned once after the strings got down to ambient temperature (by the way, if you warm up inside before each set, this gig was actually OK). I would still own a wooden guitar, if for me, it sounded enough better to be worth the hassle. For me I'm done with wooden acoustics, but I have had little success spreading that word if judged by the number of graphite guitar owners among my friends. I guess I could only conclude wood rules (outside my house :~). Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 11-05-2012 at 05:31 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I would still own a wooden guitar, if for me, it sounded enough better to be worth the hassle.
Well said (obviously better than I've been able to say it). I think, for some, there is a small compromise in tone, just because of what they're used to or because of what they're specifically looking for in tone.

But it's the question of how much you have to compromise vs. how much more worry-free carbon is. I love the tone, so I don't feel that I personally compromise on tone. But even for those who prefer the sound of wood, a small compromise in tone may be well worth the decreased hassle.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 11-04-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
Good idea, Louie, but I think I've got an even better one. Since the CF vs. wood topic is interesting and certainly worthy of discussion, let's just make those who ignore our forum's number one rule go sit in the corner until they can learn to play well with others.

I'm laughing, but I'm also serious. "Be nice" is our number one rule, not an option.

cotten
You are so right John. I never understood closing a thread based on posts from one or two members. Having said that, Louie has been fantastic at cleaning up threads, which included deleting some of my posts in the past.

As for CF vs wood, no competition, a high quality wood guitar will win out tonally but if I were limited to just one acoustic it would in fact be one of my CF guitars. Yes, I would miss the tone of my Martin D-45V but I would miss the ability to play my guitar on my boat or on the beach while covered in suntan lotion, even more.

Last edited by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales; 11-04-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:00 AM

brahmz, You are right on to me, the Rainsong JM1000 I think does set the standard for CF guitars. I played a number of them and when I had a chance to trade for one I jumped at it. It is a keeper and amazingly light for its size. Playibility to is second to none. I think you are correct in your comments about others falling short, I played Emeralds earlier that we're to me as you said a little compromised to be smaller. I really think they have made a major step with their new models to a very nice voicing. The Doubleneck and I assume the new T20 OS have it. I believe he has adjusted the core in the soundboard? My assumption, and it is as satisfying as the JM1000. Not the same voice but gone are the compromises I heard earlier. It is also the first full size Emerald I have played and that could be part as well. Whatever the reason I love both and tend to play more Emerald cause its thinness is just so comfortable.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson

Last edited by Doubleneck; 11-04-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:13 AM

To me Ted does bring up a good point, I do frame my love of Carbon to its ability to bring its top form in at about $2000. Comparing that to a Martin D45 is a bit unfair and I am sure that is true of other very high end wood guitars. As with many things you pay a lot for a little better but no question it's there.. I do compromise for the coolness of indestructibity. And in the case of the Doubleneck wood really can't go there.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 11-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Maybe a threat title edit is in order?

"Has owning carbon fiber ruined you for wood guitars?"

Ken
Emerald Balor 5 string, Taylor GS-Mini Bass, RainSong SGA-FLE, WS1000 Classic N1 and WS3000 N1, Republic Resolian Style 804, Royall Teardrop Tenor Reso
A few electrics, a bunch of basses
Wandering the continent - CA > IL > NH > TX (for good, hopefully)
Old 11-04-2012, 02:36 PM

I think every guitar player should have a carbon fibre guitar in their quiver for travel, playing on the beach in full sun, camping and because they have a unique tone different to wood.

And hey, Canadians, we carry both Composite Acoustics and Rainsong in our shop in North Vancouver so you can compare them side by side.
facebook
Instagram
Old 11-04-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
Maybe a threat title edit is in order?

"Has owning carbon fiber ruined you for wood guitars?"
My answer would still be the same.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber