The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-19-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Never in my family. What I meant is recalling TV shows and food personalities become a thing and see it be how we ate to begin with. Add the gear becoming such a thing.
So you don't remember Graham Kerr ? You know , the Galloping Gourmet .
I still rely , almost exclusively , on cast iron . Of course , you don't see me on the tube either .
Old 02-19-2020, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

....I go a lot further than just cooking from scratch...I also grow and preserve a lot of the food my wife and I consume....all biodynamic organically grown stuff...cider fruit juices and teas are the only beverages we create but we grow those ingredients too...we are thinking about putting in some good wine making grape vines on an excellent hillside we have....great terroir...with plenty of mineral content compared the rich cake like soil of our bottom land...we are blessed with great water and wonderful exposure too....we only have six acres and probably only use about an acre and a half for our gardens and orchards but it is amazing how much produce we grow...
Old 02-19-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
I still rely , almost exclusively , on cast iron . Of course , you don't see me on the tube either .
Yes, but Justin Wilson was the one who was sort of a pop star among my pals and I at that earlier time.

We have a mix of tools but still have cast iron stuff too. I never expected marriage let along 3 kids so some old ways are adjusted for quantity. Some find us crazy for some commercial size and grade pots, pans and kettles but that's really nice. We make broth, beans, soups and some things in a large amount and then freeze it. That's a tremendous way to aid making good meals with more ease and speed later.

We also prefer gas or a real flame and coals. My mother's modern cook top is better than old electric stoves but I like the instant change of gas or the way I'll move to and from coals with a fire or grill.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
In the UK we have this dietary advice of "five a day" which is five portions of fruit and veg daily.

This is an NHS Video - pretty old - but makes the point.
I guess I'm safe. My lunch's salad was sliced Brussels sprouts, with fresh and dried fruit, papitas and tangy cheese. Then some cheese grated over brown rice and veggie leftovers. There was a banana earlier.

I love the fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts, root stuff, legumes and all sorts of things not everyone likes. I'm really fond of the cruciferous vegetables that seem to be love or hate with many.

Most of the time any dislike of something is really about a poorly done version and not being a fussy eater.

If breakfast was junk - cinnamon rolls - it was good junk. Made from scratch, a little bit of whole wheat, and the lower fat neufchâtel vs cream cheese for the frosting.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:10 PM

We have always enjoyed many different cuisines. Trying a variety of dishes, from various areas of the world, has been enjoyable. Since eating out can be expensive, trying to make different dishes has become a hobby of sorts; this usually means cooking from scratch.

For the past 30+ years, I have been trying to master the art of Sushi (and other Japanese cuisine). A great combination of presentation, freshness, and skill to challenge the mind and taste buds.

Anaconda Roll

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 02-19-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Yes, but Justin Wilson was the one who was sort of a pop star among my pals and I at that earlier time.

We have a mix of tools but still have cast iron stuff too. I never expected marriage let along 3 kids so some old ways are adjusted for quantity. Some find us crazy for some commercial size and grade pots, pans and kettles but that's really nice. We make broth, beans, soups and some things in a large amount and then freeze it. That's a tremendous way to aid making good meals with more ease and speed later.

We also prefer gas or a real flame and coals. My mother's modern cook top is better than old electric stoves but I like the instant change of gas or the way I'll move to and from coals with a fire or grill.
Doesn't get much better than gas and cast iron although I did use a Heritage coal stove for a number of years . Once you learn those old coal stoves , you can do almost anything with them with no knobs or dials . For certain things , I will always lean towards my cast iron Dutch ovens and charcoals or an open fire . The best ham , green beans and potatoes that I ever did was in my 16" Dutch oven using charcoal briquets . I'm drooling just thinking about it . Some things just can't be made properly in anything less than mass quantity , cooked twice for good measure . One of these day , I'm going to make a pig stomach in the Dutch oven using charcoals instead of the oven . I just froze 4 containers of chicken corn soup and I guess I'll need to do some chicken pot pie since there are more chicken breasts in the freezer .
Old 02-19-2020, 05:34 PM

Let's not forget Julia Child either. Arguably the founder of the "foodie" movement in America (but without the hipsterism that sometimes accrues thereto).
Old 02-20-2020, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
I go back to Philip Harben and Fanny Craddock!
Old 02-20-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I go back to Philip Harben and Fanny Craddock!
Guess I'll be pilloried for admitting this but , I have been watching the British Baking Show lately when I see it .
You know , the one in the tent .
Old 02-20-2020, 08:41 PM

Default Sauerkraut

Homemade sauerkraut is super easy to make and is very good for you.

Russ
Old 02-21-2020, 10:31 AM

I do most of the cooking around here. Last night’s menu: Southern fried chicken, Cajun red beans and rice, biscuits ala Popeye’s, cole slaw. All from scratch, of course. My favorite dishes are seafood. Earlier this week I made Maryland style crab cakes with a spicy remoulade.

My wife says I’ve ruined restaurant eating since I can make better at home. I tend to experiment when dining out, and if I like it I’ll learn to make it.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:38 PM

I do lots of cooking, and effectively zero baking.

I have an xtra large (24") Big Green Egg that gets used a LOT.

2017 and 2018 was largely dedicated to perfecting my smoked brisket technique. I don't want to brag, but I've made them at least a dozen times for various events (company partys, brother in law's retirement, kids band party, etc) and people always make a big deal out of it being the "best" brisket they've ever had, bar none.

2019 was largely dedicated to dry-aging beef. I buy an entire boneless or bone-in (better) rib, wet-age it in original vacuum pack bag for 30 days, then dry-age for 45-50 days. Then butcher it into steaks. It's amazing. If you've not tried it, TRY IT!

I've also been experimenting with various ways to cook them: Sous Vide/sear, bake/sear, sous vide/pan fry in butter, direct heat grilling, reverse searing, smoking, etc etc.

It's expensive - but way cheaper than getting A+++ steaks at a restaurant.

I also smoke pork shoulders, turkey, grill chicken wings and boneless thighs... Bacon wrapped brussel sprouts, bacon wrapped chicken, etc etc.

I love to cook good food. The downside is eating out is usually a disappointment.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
I do lots of cooking, and effectively zero baking.

I have an xtra large (24") Big Green Egg that gets used a LOT.

2017 and 2018 was largely dedicated to perfecting my smoked brisket technique. I don't want to brag, but I've made them at least a dozen times for various events (company partys, brother in law's retirement, kids band party, etc) and people always make a big deal out of it being the "best" brisket they've ever had, bar none.

2019 was largely dedicated to dry-aging beef. I buy an entire boneless or bone-in (better) rib, wet-age it in original vacuum pack bag for 30 days, then dry-age for 45-50 days. Then butcher it into steaks. It's amazing. If you've not tried it, TRY IT!

I've also been experimenting with various ways to cook them: Sous Vide/sear, bake/sear, sous vide/pan fry in butter, direct heat grilling, reverse searing, smoking, etc etc.

It's expensive - but way cheaper than getting A+++ steaks at a restaurant.

I also smoke pork shoulders, turkey, grill chicken wings and boneless thighs... Bacon wrapped brussel sprouts, bacon wrapped chicken, etc etc.

I love to cook good food. The downside is eating out is usually a disappointment.
Mmmmm ... you had me at "perfecting my smoked brisket"

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 02-21-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
I do most of the cooking around here. Last night’s menu: Southern fried chicken, Cajun red beans and rice, biscuits ala Popeye’s, cole slaw. All from scratch, of course. My favorite dishes are seafood. Earlier this week I made Maryland style crab cakes with a spicy remoulade.

My wife says I’ve ruined restaurant eating since I can make better at home. I tend to experiment when dining out, and if I like it I’ll learn to make it.
Southern fried chicken sounds delicious.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:14 PM

We are maple syrup producers in Northern Michigan. A ton of work, but the product is sweet!
Nothing but sap boiled down to pure liquid gold. No additives, just nature's best all natural sweetener.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic