The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-21-2021, 12:58 PM

Default Please help the electronically ‘not gifted’

So…. I have a Rainsong OM1000 and while trying to make it sound better acoustically I removed the under the piezo to I could fit a proper bone saddle. Significant sound improvement accompanied, now I’m wondering about plugging it in again. I never did like the sound of the Fishman Prefix/piezo system so I’m not sorry I took I out. I’m electronically ignorant question is about the preamp and can I use it for some other system, or will it only work with the Unser the saddle piezo that was on it? As with everyone I guess I would like the most natural sound I can get out of the guitar…. What are my options? Can I still use the preamp but with something else?
Old 11-21-2021, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbflat View Post
So…. I have a Rainsong OM1000 and while trying to make it sound better acoustically I removed the under the piezo to I could fit a proper bone saddle. Significant sound improvement accompanied, now I’m wondering about plugging it in again. I never did like the sound of the Fishman Prefix/piezo system so I’m not sorry I took I out. I’m electronically ignorant question is about the preamp and can I use it for some other system, or will it only work with the Unser the saddle piezo that was on it? As with everyone I guess I would like the most natural sound I can get out of the guitar…. What are my options? Can I still use the preamp but with something else?
A low output soundboard transducer might work. The Matrix UST needs some pretty high gain and bass boost to sound "best". Those are not what you want for most SBTs.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 11-21-2021, 02:21 PM

Actually, I just noticed it’s a Fishman Prifix ‘stereo blender’ if that makes any difference .
Old 11-21-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbflat View Post
Actually, I just noticed it’s a Fishman Prifix ‘stereo blender’ if that makes any difference .
Doesn't change the gain or EQ curve applied to the UST input of the preamp. A passive Baggs iBeam or a Schatten HFN might work acceptably with a preamp designed for a Matrix. Another alternative would be to install a JJB with tape, which reduces its output significantly (my experience has been JJBs are a little lower output compared to K&K). I do think the EQ curve of the Fishman preamp will be something you can tweak to good, if needed at all, with the barn door controls and an SBT. I'm more concerned about clipping distortion which might also be fixable with a attenuation network (small volume control before the preamp).

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 11-21-2021 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-22-2021, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I'm more concerned about clipping distortion which might also be fixable with a attenuation network (small volume control before the preamp).
This is timely.

I'm considering connecting the K&K twin spot in my mandola to a Yamaha preamp (fitted but currently redundant - from a previous installation).

I'd planned to put a PCB style potentiometer across the input with the arm sweeping between signal and ground, which has worked in the past but is there a better approach?
Old 11-22-2021, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

Jonfields has the solution I would consider except I would reinstall the piezo and add either a Fishman mic, LR Baggs IBeam, or passive soundboard transducer. One of the least expensive ways to test this is Schatten Utility transducer, but you’ll need to solder on a connector plug that fits the Fishman preamp aux input. I did this on a Takamine preamp that has an aux pickup input.

I know installing a UST piezo sounds moronic to some, but I’ve found with a quality external preamp, good tone is achievable. I like multi source options if available, because there is the “piezo” quack and attack that isn’t so much a issue with soundboard transducers which I can add to a dual source type preamp.The reason, I do like UST piezo is the string separation perception. FWIW-I prefer LR Baggs Element UST. For what they are, they just seem more natural to my ears, and are capable of really good tone.

Regardless, if you’re not using a an external preamp in your signal path, I highly recommend it. Onboard guitar preamps are okay, but are limited in their ability when trying to really dial in quality tone. There are some exceptions, but most are boutique custom setups, and to my ear still benefit from a external preamp.

Good Luck.

Last edited by Turp; 11-24-2021 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
This is timely.

I'm considering connecting the K&K twin spot in my mandola to a Yamaha preamp (fitted but currently redundant - from a previous installation).

I'd planned to put a PCB style potentiometer across the input with the arm sweeping between signal and ground, which has worked in the past but is there a better approach?
Seems the best option to me. A 1M ohm linear POT would be my choice. Maybe something large enough that you can carpet tape it to the preamp housing.

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 11-22-2021 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-22-2021, 10:39 AM

Just slap a Baggs Anthem SL in there...done. Very easy to install yourself and will sound much better than that Fishman original system.
Old 11-26-2021, 04:41 AM
Charter Member

So many options. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Best of luck
Old 11-26-2021, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Seems the best option to me. A 1M ohm linear POT would be my choice. Maybe something large enough that you can carpet tape it to the preamp housing.
Nice.

Thanks for the suggestion.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification