The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-05-2020, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

Default Cordoba fusion 12 natural crossover?

Hey all, I’m primarily a steel string fingerstyle player, but am studying classical guitar alongside jazz and blues. A while back my instructor suggested I pick up a a nylon string guitar for the wider nut and easier playing of classical pieces. I held off until last week when I started to experience a problem with the beginnings of a nail separation ....so now I think it makes good sense to pick up a nylon stringer that will be easier on my nails while I recover. I’m thinking 1 7/8 will give me some benefit on complicated fingerings in classical pieces while still being narrow enough for my non-classical playing. Any experience with the above mentioned guitar? I played one tonight at guitar center and thought it was decent, but I’m inexperienced. The other nylon string guitars I played there were crap. The cordoba is available for $550ish new on reverb.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

I have also had some interest in the Fusion 12 as a crossover guitar, but have read multiple user reviews saying that the Fusion 12 Orchestra CE is a worthwhile upgrade over the Fusion 12, although $300 more if bought new. I have not yet come across either Fusion 12 to play.

The only Cordoba I have experienced playing is the GK Studio Cypress model. A good guitar at the price they sell it for.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDEMO1 View Post
I have also had some interest in the Fusion 12 as a crossover guitar, but have read multiple user reviews saying that the Fusion 12 Orchestra CE is a worthwhile upgrade over the Fusion 12, although $300 more if bought new. I have not yet come across either Fusion 12 to play.

The only Cordoba I have experienced playing is the GK Studio Cypress model. A good guitar at the price they sell it for.
Hmm, I was under the impression that those were the same guitars! The one I played at guitar center was an orchestra, and was going for $849. There are several on reverb discounted to $599, but on closer inspection those may not be orchestras. Could you perhaps send a link to some reviews so I can figure out what I’m looking at? A quick google search didn’t clear things up for me.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:16 AM
Charter Member

I have a Fusion 12 in Maple that I bought from GC for around $700. I like it a lot. Very comfortable to play, good neck, etc. I'm not an aficionado of nylons, and it is a secondary (more like tertiary) guitar for me, so my opinion of its tone (which I like) probably doesn't mean much. The pick-up/tuner system used works well too.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:01 AM

Grab a Cordoba C7 it’s around the same price and sounds identical to my Córdoba c10 which is one tier up. I came from folk, blues style finger picking to classical and all I can say is don’t try it on a classical guitar. Using your thumb for the E string is bad form lol. Be prepared to learn how to redo all your scale works, but now with alternating fingers per string. Gonna be fun
Old 02-06-2020, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Thanks all. After further research, I think the orchestra I played at GC was NOT the same guitar I was looking at on reverb. :/. Those are fusion 12 naturals, not orchestras. I’m hesitant to go with the natural, as I can’t find one to play and don’t want to risk getting an overly crappy guitar. I may have a lead on a c10 for $700 though....advice?
Old 02-06-2020, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6twenty7 View Post
Grab a Cordoba C7 it’s around the same price and sounds identical to my Córdoba c10 which is one tier up. I came from folk, blues style finger picking to classical and all I can say is don’t try it on a classical guitar. Using your thumb for the E string is bad form lol. Be prepared to learn how to redo all your scale works, but now with alternating fingers per string. Gonna be fun
Yeah the thumb over maneuver definitely won’t work! But with the 1 7/8” nut I was able to play some of the folk/blues stuff last night....
Old 02-06-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
Yeah the thumb over maneuver definitely won’t work! But with the 1 7/8” nut I was able to play some of the folk/blues stuff last night....
Grab a c10 you’ll love it. I bought mine for 650 on eBay from a shop in New York that said it was brand new. It’ll sound a million times better than any classical you can find in guitar center. Or only option is to buy a 3000 dollar used luthier guitar XD
Old 02-07-2020, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6twenty7 View Post
Grab a c10 you’ll love it. I bought mine for 650 on eBay from a shop in New York that said it was brand new. It’ll sound a million times better than any classical you can find in guitar center. Or only option is to buy a 3000 dollar used luthier guitar XD
I found a c10 on reverb and it’s on the way! Anybody have string recommendations ? I’m a total newb to nylon strings....
Old 02-08-2020, 09:39 AM

if this is your 1st entry to nylon string playing, I'd suggest going with carbon strings.. They're thinner than nylon in diameter and might make the transition easier.

Savarez set with Alliance trebles are a good starter.. D'addario's are inexpensive, but seemed to be less lively for me.

Cordoba C-10 is a really nice guitar... I just sold mine to GC and got a C-12 Cedar. I only sold because I was downsizing my guitars and really wanted the elevated fretboard to make accessing frets 12-15 easier.

Enjoy that C-10 and post some photo's when it arrives!!

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 02-08-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I found a c10 on reverb and it’s on the way! Anybody have string recommendations ? I’m a total newb to nylon strings....
Outstanding, you will love it, congratulations. I played a few Cordoba Fusions but bought a C10 spruce and rosewood, wonderful sounding and playing instrument.

I second dkstot’s recommendation on fluorocarbon strings, Savarez, Oasis and D’Addario to name three. Enjoy it, what wood combo did you get?
Old 02-08-2020, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
if this is your 1st entry to nylon string playing, I'd suggest going with carbon strings.. They're thinner than nylon in diameter and might make the transition easier.

Savarez set with Alliance trebles are a good starter.. D'addario's are inexpensive, but seemed to be less lively for me.

Cordoba C-10 is a really nice guitar... I just sold mine to GC and got a C-12 Cedar. I only sold because I was downsizing my guitars and really wanted the elevated fretboard to make accessing frets 12-15 easier.

Enjoy that C-10 and post some photo's when it arrives!!

Dave
Thanks! I wasn’t sure what to go with, so I did order a set of daddario normal tension. Also, Martin magnificos were on sale at strings by mail, so I have a set of those coming.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
Outstanding, you will love it, congratulations. I played a few Cordoba Fusions but bought a C10 spruce and rosewood, wonderful sounding and playing instrument.

I second dkstot’s recommendation on fluorocarbon strings, Savarez, Oasis and D’Addario to name three. Enjoy it, what wood combo did you get?
Yes mine is spruce and rosewood as well - I’ve always enjoyed that combo in my steel strings. The c10 should be lightly used and has an lr baggs installed, so for the $700 I spent should be a great deal.

I’ll also look into those strings - thanks!
Old 02-11-2020, 09:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I’m thinking 1 7/8 will give me some benefit on complicated fingerings in classical pieces while still being narrow enough for my non-classical playing. Any experience with the above mentioned guitar? I played one tonight at guitar center and thought it was decent, but I’m inexperienced. The other nylon string guitars I played there were crap. The cordoba is available for $550ish new on reverb.
A 7/8's will be easier for more complicated fingering and provide a slightly narrower neck. Not to much of a difference from a full size. You could try out a 3/4's or even smaller to see how you like them.

So you know, we are a licensed retailer for Cordoba. For any other questions you may have give us a holler. We'd be happy to work with ya!

We also carry La Mancha guitars which we are pretty impressed with the quality. We've tested out several fractional guitars from different companies and Cordoba and La Mancha have been most impressive to us at the price point.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:00 PM

I have the Fusion 12 in maple....love it. Very easy player...great tone..has built in p/u if needed. I looked around for a while before making this purchase. Checked all I could in the 700-800 price range..Takamine ( of which I own two steel strings), Yamaha, etc...the Cordoba seemed to have the nicest finish, neck, frets, tone of all..I have to give it an A+.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical