The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-20-2023, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Default Lightweight Telecaster Project

Last summer I bought a used Tele style partscaster simply because it had a very beautiful flame maple neck with a nice vintage V profile and two Seymour Duncan pickups. I didn't play it much in the next several months because I came to dislike it's weight of 8.5 pounds.

So, I decided to replace the body with a lightweight Paulownia body sourced from AE Guitars. I also used a new 6 saddle bridge and a green pickguard to set off the vintage white body. The result is a pleasing Tele that weighs in at 5.77 pounds. I'm also happy that the tone has improved. It seems louder and more resonant when compared to the old version with the heavier body. I also noticed that the pickups are much quieter now. I used shielding paint for the cavities but the old body had copper shield installed. I don't know if there's much difference between shielding paint and copper foil but I do notice a change. Anyhow, I prefer lighter guitars and that was the goal. I may swap out the Duncan Quarter Pounder for a lower output vintage type pup at some point but I'm happy with my lightweight for now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Partscaster T Front.jpg (14.1 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg Partscaster T Neck.jpg (10.7 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg Partscaster T Weight.jpg (27.5 KB, 225 views)
Old 03-20-2023, 11:57 PM

Congrats! I did the exact same thing and our guitars weigh almost identical both before and after. Here's my Paulownia body from AE

Gabojo MR2000 Dynasonic Style Neck Pickup, and Cavalier Holy Grail Broadcaster Bridge Pickup
Old 03-21-2023, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Very nice work! I actually got the idea of paulownia from your post about your project(s) You've built some excellent guitars and I've enjoyed your posts. I rarely play electric and this tele is the only solid body I own. I've always preferred the old school vintage white or butterscotch finishes on a Telecaster and the AE body does the trick on this build.
Old 03-21-2023, 10:05 AM

Thats a nicely figured neck. Was it from Warmoth? Fat 50’s or Thin ‘60’s style?

fd
Old 03-21-2023, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
Very nice work! I actually got the idea of paulownia from your post about your project(s) You've built some excellent guitars and I've enjoyed your posts. I rarely play electric and this tele is the only solid body I own. I've always preferred the old school vintage white or butterscotch finishes on a Telecaster and the AE body does the trick on this build.
It looks like it came out perfect to me. The color really does look great. And I know exactly how you feel to pick up a guitar that’s 3 pounds lighter. It’s just a joy. So congratulations on a job well done.
Old 03-21-2023, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Thats a nicely figured neck. Was it from Warmoth? Fat 50’s or Thin ‘60’s style?

fd
It's a no name neck without a makers mark which I think is strange. No matter who made it, the V profile works for me and the stain finish feels great in my hands. The fact that it has a nice figure is a bonus. I'd describe it as leaning more towards a fat 50's V profile but not as chunky as some I've played. For now I have no plans of adding any kind of headstock decal, although that might change if I find something humorous.
Old 04-27-2023, 05:26 PM

I did the same thing. I had a 10-lb Squier CV50's Tele, and I finally decided to swap out the body for a lightweight GFS paulownia body.

Cut the weight almost in half..

And luckily it sounds exactly the same.

Old 04-27-2023, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Very nice. Lightweight guitars are my go-to if there's a choice. BTW, I gave my Tele to my son who'd been wanting a Telecaster for a while. Now I can think about my next project!
Old 04-27-2023, 07:47 PM

I didn't like the weight of my Tele so I bought a spruce-top Carvin 185. 6lb right out of the case, and room to make it lighter if I want.
Old 04-28-2023, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Love this thread. Love light guitars. Love that blue too
Old 04-28-2023, 05:03 PM

When I was playing electric with my band I thought of buying a cheap Squier or something and taking a router to the back, making chambers and reducing the weight. Never did it but I might some day. I have a drill press and all I would need is a router bit. If you go in from the back it won't show from the front, obviously, so you can hack it up as much as you want.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 04-29-2023, 06:50 AM

I made new thinline hollow bodies for two MIM Teles back in the day when the American made ones were so dicey. Both have figured wood bodies and are made somewhat like acoustic guitars, but have solid wood where necessary.

Other mods were Texas Specials, new polished stainless steel bridge plates / control plates, Straploks, 4 way switches, re-located output jacks, etc. The MIM necks were really great, though!

Old 05-08-2023, 06:30 PM

Sort of a Tele shape, love the basic form but need the arm and belly cut a Strat gives due to pain issues. Same with weight, went as light as I could reasonably go. Spruce body and neck, light weight tuners (the reason it is a 2x3) to reduce the neck dive. A hair over three lbs.

Old 05-12-2023, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

This is a fun thread. I have to admit, some of my electric guitars are very heavy! A lighter guitar would be a big relief! Some very nice work here on this thread!

- Glenn
Old 05-12-2023, 10:44 AM

Great going, guys! This IS a cool thread. Keep up the good work, I'm very impressed!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars