The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-24-2023, 09:32 AM

I thought it was eerie how 'Leo' had a heart attack on the show and then John Spencer suffered a fatal heart attack a couple of years later for real.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 03-24-2023, 09:32 AM

I may have missed that…why is Toby troubled?

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-24-2023, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
Well, I think The Wire gives it a run for the money. The two shows are, however, a bit different (from each other!) WW's lack of violence makes it particularly remarkable even in its time.
Agreed. 'The Wire' is my second all-time favorite show!
Old 03-24-2023, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
BTW, an interesting underlying sidelight, the character “Toby” played by Richard Schiff was a somewhat disturbed man.
At least that was my perception.
Quote:
I may have missed that…why is Toby troubled?
Hey, you're asking a question about your own post?

I don't think Toby was 'disturbed' or 'troubled', at least not in a mental health sort of way. He was just a grumpy guy with a limited (actually zero) tolerance for BS. He was a product of his upbringing with his father's issues and other things I won't go into so as not to spoil anything for anyone still or yet to watch.

One thing is for sure, Richard Schiff's acting and portrayal of Toby Ziegler was probably the single best I've seen in that show (and there are many) and any other show. He won one Emmy and was nominated two more times. Allison Janney - another great actor and character (CJ Cregg) - won four. I think the show won 9 Emmys in its first season alone.
Old 03-24-2023, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post

I don't think Toby was 'disturbed' or 'troubled', at least not in a mental health sort of way. He was just a grumpy guy with a limited (actually zero) tolerance for BS. He was a product of his upbringing with his father's issues and other things I won't go into so as not to spoil anything for anyone still or yet to watch.

One thing is for sure, Richard Schiff's acting and portrayal of Toby Ziegler was probably the single best I've seen in that show (and there are many) and any other show. He won one Emmy and was nominated two more times. Allison Janney - another great actor and character (CJ Cregg) - won four. I think the show won 9 Emmys in its first season alone.
I agree about Toby. Possibly (because, well, memory) my favorite episode is the Christmas episode, I think in season 1, involving Toby, his overcoat, a homeless vet, and eventually Mrs. Landingham. Tears every time
Old 03-24-2023, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post

I wanted to know why he was like that.
I disagree with your evaluation though. He has deeper issues than just being grumpy and his lack of tolerance for B.S.
His temper and childish, boorish behavior seem to reflect a man with something else going on.
Anyway, the acting is outstanding…that I agree with.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-24-2023, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I wanted to know why he was like that.
I disagree with your evaluation though. He has deeper issues than just being grumpy and his lack of tolerance for B.S.
His temper and childish, boorish behavior seem to reflect a man with something else going on.
Anyway, the acting is outstanding…that I agree with.
Watch the series and all will be revealed.

fd
Old 03-24-2023, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

My wife and I have watched the West Wing series a couple of times. We own the complete DVD set.

I have a niece in the acting business in New York City and she worked with Aaron Sorkin for a fair number of hours while he was auditioning people for a show. She said he was very nice, good to work with.

- Glenn
Old 03-25-2023, 04:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
My wife and I have watched the West Wing series a couple of times. We own the complete DVD set.

I have a niece in the acting business in New York City and she worked with Aaron Sorkin for a fair number of hours while he was auditioning people for a show. She said he was very nice, good to work with.

- Glenn
Glen, you're my hero!
Old 03-25-2023, 04:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

- Glenn
We also have the DVD series. On many of the DVDs, there is extra material. Much of that features somebody who held one of the real life positions in the White House talking about the realities of that position.

In one case, the guy who wrote the music for the show discusses how he composed the music on guitar and then went to the DAW to put together the sound tracks for the show. For us in this forum, that would be of particular interest.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-28-2023, 11:45 PM
Charter Member

I am not finding West Wing on NF. I think it's on HBO Max. Or so says google.
Old 03-29-2023, 02:10 AM

I sat twenty feet away while Aaron Sorkin interviewed legendary screenwriter William Goldman (Butch Cassidy, Princess Bride) at a conference. What an uplifting and satisfying privilege to plunge into those two minds. West Wing is certainly one of the most engaging things ever on television, and yes the episode with Toby’s overcoat at Christmas is not to be missed. (Season 1, Episode 10)

Last edited by macuaig; 03-29-2023 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-29-2023, 05:24 AM

Quote:
We got it on AMC…..

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-29-2023, 06:17 AM

Quote:
I'm watching it on HBO Max now
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 03-30-2023, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
We also have the DVD series. On many of the DVDs, there is extra material. Much of that features somebody who held one of the real life positions in the White House talking about the realities of that position.

In one case, the guy who wrote the music for the show discusses how he composed the music on guitar and then went to the DAW to put together the sound tracks for the show. For us in this forum, that would be of particular interest.

Tony
Hi Tony,

Yes, Snuffy Walden composed and performed the music for West Wing and he did a really good job considering that he is a guitar player. The DVD set has a lot of extra interesting information for sure!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic