The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-18-2023, 04:28 AM

Default Cancer and playing advice/help

Long story short, side effects of my cancer treatment has resulted in my hands/fingers having peripheral neuropathy. It’s like a numbness combined with very sharp pain in my fingers making playing extremely difficult. I can’t take extra medication as team are monitoring another side effect due to immunotherapy. Any help or advice would be most welcome as playing guitar is my respite during this difficult phase. Thanks Paul
Old 03-18-2023, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Paul, sorry you are dealing with this...
Maybe an G open tuning, where you don't have as much fretting? Here's a helpful link. https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/ea...gs-for-guitar/

One other suggestion, a nylon string guitar might be helpful.

Sending good thoughts and vibes.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 03-18-2023, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

I'm sorry to hear about your condition.
I don't know anything about it, and the kind of pain it is, but I see from your user name that you are likely a steel string Collings player?
If so, you might benefit from playing something that is a lot easier on the fingers, to tie you though this period.
Something like this:
Godin Multiac nylon crossover
A guitar like that not only sounds good, but is super easy on the fingers. MUCH easier than a steel string guitar.
I realize that this might not be your cup of tea, especially if you're a die hard steel string player, but this might be something very useful to consider just to bridge the gap. Certainly better than not playing at all.
I'm not recommending this particular model. There are a number of similar guitars out there from other manufacturers.
I just think that a guitar with super low action and tension would be helpful for you, given the circumstances.
Good luck with your recovery!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 03-18-2023, 08:00 AM

I'm in the same boat. I'm currently in cancer treatment with chemotherapy.
Oxaliplatin caused severe peripheral neuropathy in my hands and feet. During chempo weeks, it extends to the whole body.

None of the home remedies worked. Only the off label use of the drugs duloxetine and gabapentin made a small dent (like 15%). It was just enough to allow me to play again.

Last edited by martingitdave; 03-18-2023 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-18-2023, 11:27 AM

Thanks Joe, I appreciate your advice and kind words. Regards Paul
Old 03-18-2023, 11:28 AM

Thanks Andre, I appreciate your advice and kind words Godin looks like a nice guitar. Regards Paul
Old 03-18-2023, 11:31 AM

Thanks Martingitdave, I appreciate your advice, I was on the same Oxiplatin during my Chemo also. I’ll look into the drugs you suggest. Hope you’re on the mend my friend.Regards Paul
Old 03-18-2023, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collingsman View Post
Thanks Martingitdave, I appreciate your advice, I was on the same Oxiplatin during my Chemo also. I’ll look into the drugs you suggest. Hope you’re on the mend my friend.Regards Paul
You too! I'm sorry you're going through it. It's not pleasant, but fight on my friend. See you at the finish line.
Old 03-18-2023, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

I was feeling a bit sorry for myself because I had played a lot this week for practice and two shows, and my hands were tired…and then I read this. I realized that I have no problems.

Strength and health and blessings to you all.
Old 03-18-2023, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post
I was feeling a bit sorry for myself because I had played a lot this week for practice and two shows, and my hands were tired…and then I read this. I realized that I have no problems.

Strength and health and blessings to you all.
Thanks Angie. It’s all relative to be honest. Take care and I hope the show goes well. Regards Paul
Old 03-18-2023, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Hi Paul,

I am so sorry you are dealing with this challenge. I don't have any advice, but I do wish you well and hope you find an answer. I really feel for you in going through this.

I can imagine that playing the guitar would be a real help during this difficult time.

Hang in there Paul.

- Glenn
Old 03-18-2023, 07:52 PM

Many thanks for your kind thoughts and words. Take care. Regards Paul
Old 03-19-2023, 03:54 AM

Hello Paul. I'm pretty sure your symptoms could be relieved by reflexology sessions. I've used reflexology many times when mainstream therapies weren't helping, and have always had good results. You can find a qualified practitioner, near you by consulting an accredited School of Reflexology

Many people use acupuncture for pain relief, too, tho I've no personal experience of that.

I hope you're soon well and able to play again.
Old 03-19-2023, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

I just sat at the keyboard for five minutes trying to come up with the an appropriate expression of sympathy, and what I've managed is: Cancer sucks dude. My wife had some neuropathy during her chemo and couldn't play her harp. She was more concerned about other things, and not being able to play for a few weeks seemed a minor issue for her at the time. I had a lot of more trouble with not being able to play guitar after my brain surgery. My tumor was benign so I didn't need chemo, but because of the location, the surgeries left me with a lack of coordination, strength and focus. It was six months before I could play for more than 20 minutes, and a year before I felt like I could play (sort of) at the level I was used to. It was pretty depressed for the entire year. My advice, looking back, is to find another respite for a little while. Try to let go of playing guitar as something that will help you through a difficult period, and find an activity that is more practical given your situation. The guitar will be waiting for you like a loyal friend when you are ready. When all I could do is lay there, I started writing an epic story in my head. I really got into it, and it took me away from it all. I never did write that book, but I still have this cool story bouncing around in my noggin. Cancer sucks dude. Hang tough.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/

Last edited by Rumblefish; 03-19-2023 at 06:01 AM.
Old 03-21-2023, 09:17 AM

Hi Rumblefish, many thanks for you thoughts. I do hope both you and your wife are well now. Yes, cancer does such but I also can’t imagine what difficulties you also went through my friend. As the song says “you don’t know what you got ‘til it’s gone’.
Take care Paul

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write