The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-09-2023, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfa View Post
Does anyone have a link for a good DADGAD Chord chart? TIA
Hi gfa…

I own several versions of page-after-page of chord 'maps' for DADGAD. I never consult them, because as a fingerstyler, I never put the guitar in DADGAD and strum.

It's easier to figure out any inversions I might need than to consult a chart.

Perhaps there are people who primarily strum in DADGAD or stick to a chord for several beats. If so there are plenty of free charts out-there.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-21-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfa View Post
Does anyone have a link for a good DADGAD Chord chart? TIA
In my opinion, it's better to know how to derive any chord in all its positions, in any tuning, rather than depending upon the approach of "applying shapes" to the fingerboard.

This is not difficult!

1) Download a fingerboard diagram. 2) Write in the open-string notes for whatever tuning you're in along the top. 3) Pick a chord type in whatever key you need and 4) write in all the chord-tones for that chord/key.

For example, for G7 in DADGAD: write in DADGAD along the top, then fill in all the G, B, D and F notes, on all strings, from first through 12th frets, on your diagram. This will give you a matrix from which to draw all possible voicings and inversions.

This gives you the freedom to "build" whichever voicings work best for any given situation and will improve your understanding of the fingerboard much better than memorizing shapes out of a book.

I can draw up an example for you. PM me, if you're interested.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write