The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-23-2023, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
To coin a radio phrase "what is point" ?
There is no point really. There is a pleasant physical and emotional reaction when you feel the g force pin you to the back of the seat and all that power at your beck and call. These numbers are faster than a person can think and react though. You have to have experience and the knowledge to run this car. I burned up a lot of gas worn out some tires hitting the gas pedal on my 69 Chevelle back when I was in high school. There is nothing like hitting the gas, hearing the carburetors howl when they kick in, being pushed back in the seat and the tires breaking loose.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-23-2023, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Wow! 1025 HP from a factory car! Crazy!

- Glenn
Old 03-23-2023, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
To coin a radio phrase "what is point" ?
It might be better understood by a US baby boomer demographic. It is very understandable and I confess that I once had a modified Ford Mustang GT but switched to other things for thrills.

There is also a brand fan boy loyalty that parallels some guitar stuff. The Dodge and MOPAR loyalty reminds me of the Gibson electric fans who would buy shoddy workmanship to get the look and logo. Many remember and cherish a lot of innovative and affordable products from their (Chrysler) better times, and this car comes from a 3rd generation styled much like the original.

I hold sincere hopes Stellantis and the brand will survive and be competitive with the best, and not so much selling a reputation from the past. They have some neat stuff world-wide I hope succeeds.
Old 03-24-2023, 10:29 AM

So Glad to see muscle cars have made a comeback. For those who never drove one there is no explaining the experience. The best part about these is the can stop. I will add that this would be a grocery getter that Big Daddy Don Garlits would be proud to drive.
Old 03-24-2023, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgepin View Post
...I will add that this would be a grocery getter that Big Daddy Don Garlits would be proud to drive.
As I recall he had an early Drag Pack version that he used to run in A/SA on occasion, before he started messing with electric dragsters...

This one runs low 8.90's at 150+ - just needs an 8.50 spec cage to be legal - and it can be state-licensed/registered and driven to the track...

He's crafty enough to put a mild tweak on it, where it'll pick up only .05 to .10 and a couple MPH consistently (a new set of tires might even do the trick - skinnies up front and 10.5W's out back): just enough to run Super Comp credibly, without the infamous delay-box stumble off the line or nose-drop antics in the traps - cut a good light, keep the pedal down the full quarter-mile, stay in your lane and run it out the back door, the way heads-up racing was meant to be...

I'd love to see the old man drive a Demon 170 through the pit gate at Gainesville or Charlotte, enter it as-is right off the street, and strap one on the guys in the cookie-cutter BBC S/C dragsters - even if he only goes a couple rounds...
Old 03-24-2023, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
As I recall he had an early Drag Pack version that he used to run in A/SA on occasion, before he started messing with electric dragsters...

This one runs low 8.90's at 150+ - just needs an 8.50 spec cage to be legal - and it can be state-licensed/registered and driven to the track...

He's crafty enough to put a mild tweak on it, where it'll pick up only .05 to .10 and a couple MPH consistently (a new set of tires might even do the trick - skinnies up front and 10.5W's out back): just enough to run Super Comp credibly, without the infamous delay-box stumble off the line or nose-drop antics in the traps - cut a good light, keep the pedal down the full quarter-mile, stay in your lane and run it out the back door, the way heads-up racing was meant to be...

I'd love to see the old man drive a Demon 170 through the pit gate at Gainesville or Charlotte, enter it as-is right off the street, and strap one on the guys in the cookie-cutter BBC S/C dragsters - even if he only goes a couple rounds...
Steve, I hate the delay box My former brother in-law use to race in the late 50s an on into the 60s at a small race track in Dover CT. He would tell me stories about Don would roll in with a station wagon towing one of his ( Swamp Rats ) just by himself win his class pick up his winnings, load up and roll to the next race.
Old 03-25-2023, 08:52 PM

Quote:
...Don would roll in with a station wagon towing one of his Swamp Rats just by himself, win his class, pick up his winnings, load up, and roll to the next race.
FYI he (and just about all the other barnstormer racers as well) was doing this into the late-60's on the match-race and AHRA circuit (which had a seeded field for many of their major events). By the time I saw him at the '69 AHRA Springnationals @ NY National he was still towing his car behind his wagon, in one of those Mr. Ed low-profile trailers then favored by the Top Fuel/Gas racers, but he also had a mechanic with him; considering even the A-list pros traveled with virtually no spare parts in those days (remember the "break rule"?) Big Daddy probably picked up volunteer crew in the pits, and had the guy there simply to make sure everything ran smoothly. FWIW last time I saw him @ Englishtown doing T&T he showed up with a tow rig more befitting a Divisional Comp Eliminator runner than a legend of the sport - practical guy then, practical guy now...
Old 03-26-2023, 06:53 AM

Quote:
So Glad to see muscle cars have made a comeback.
This is the end.

Final year.

At least they're going out with a bang.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 03-26-2023, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
This is the end.

Final year.

????

The next generation Mustang is coming and there are several cars that are modern day versions of the originals. By that I mean performance versions of modest production cars. To me they are far more in the tradition than the ones like this or where the Mustang and Corvette are priced now though few are simply rear wheel drive. If you go to inflation calculators, it is fun to plug in a 1960s iconic car price against some modern ones.

The car makers also still sell lots of kit stuff, engines, and Ford even sells their electric motor kit that people do neat stuff with.

The recent Camaro death was understandable as much as upsetting to some. It was just too much a low volume with high price vehicle. Too far from the modestly priced performance cars still sold.

The market is always going to change but not go away. Perfect example is remembering old timers ask why my generation didn't want Hudson Hornets you could still find that were not V8s.

Old 04-15-2023, 05:38 PM

Quote:
This is the end.

Final year.

General Motors executives said this many decades ago about manufacturing convertibles. Right.
Old 04-16-2023, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
General Motors executives said this many decades ago about manufacturing convertibles. Right.
They were correct as far as what has been popular in a niche vs overall.

Stellantis doesn't have the GM issue of a Camaro and Corvette price near each other for death of Camaro but with their I think 12+ brands could maybe develop something from owning Maserati.

Keeping a muscle or pony type car alive will be tricky if only because of the rate my generation is croaking and with so many who are unhealthy physically and financially.
Old 04-16-2023, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Mopar has always made a powerful engine.

After working in a bodyshop my entire life. I would never buy a Dodge product.

Buy it. Hope you like it. A bit of advice. Don't keep it for too long.
Old 04-22-2023, 02:06 PM

Jay Leno's show covered it. Some of the elements are interesting as is seeing head of Dodge as a tech person. Still, it's not for me, it's excess I don't care for, and I still need more time to believe Stellantis can make the safety and reliability I value. To be fair, I still have some mistrust for all the malaise era makers.

Old 04-24-2023, 01:35 PM

Pretty sure folks aren't buying a 4200lb car that lifts the tires off the ground and covers 1/4 mile in less than 9 seconds for the same reason they would buy a Honda CRV.

Watch that video with Leno. The engineering is pretty impressive.

I'd still rather own a 69 Hemi, but would like to drive this Demon.

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
2004 Tacoma EMM30 "Forum Guitar"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic