The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-18-2023, 08:46 PM

I think you made the right choice, congratulations.
Old 02-26-2023, 08:22 PM

Default Eastman

I once owned two Martins, an OM21 & D16 and they were fine. I also had an Eastman E20P and eventually sold the Martins. Liked the E20P so much I bought an E20 00 and never looked back. The key I think is (are) the strings and the set up. For strings I love Santa Cruz. Fortunately I have a good friend locally who was a luthier for Guild before retirement. I’ve always said it’s the brain behind the tool rather than the tool itself, regardless of your interests.
Old 02-26-2023, 08:41 PM

Default Humidifier

You probably know it already, but be sure to humidify that investment. Wyoming is dry dry dry!

It's amazing how quickly things can dry out in very low humidity.
Old 02-28-2023, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on your incoming Eastman. As others mentioned, you may want to invest in humidification (either to keep inside the soft case or to humidify the room), so it doesn't develop any cracks.
Old 02-28-2023, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Another big congrats on your new Eastman! I have two OM Eastman's and really enjoy both of them. It's dry in your part of the country so as many others have said...you're gonna have to humidify. Enjoy your new guitar!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-28-2023, 05:48 PM

I have the E1d and the E1om from Eastman.
Both great guitars.
Btw, I want to agree with whoever commented on the idiocy of cutaways ( for most people).
Why would anyone want to disfigure a guitar?
Old 02-28-2023, 11:17 PM

After my experience with Alvarez customer service, I will never buy an Alvarez guitar again.
Go with the Eastman and enjoy a well built guitar form a company that honors their warranties.
Old 02-28-2023, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn Eden View Post
I have the E1d and the E1om from Eastman.
Both great guitars.
Btw, I want to agree with whoever commented on the idiocy of cutaways ( for most people).
Why would anyone want to disfigure a guitar?
I have an E10M an am curious if you like one over the other, or about the same?
Old 03-23-2023, 06:23 PM

Have had the Eastman for a bit now. Have been super busy with work so not much time to play. But I have to say I am incredibly impressed. I think for the price the fit and finish is great and the sound is amazing. Different for me coming from only ever playing dreadnaughts, but a great sound ground finger playing only, which is all I’ve done so far, haven’t been interested in pick playing lately.
One thing I noticed, that I’ve never dealt with or thought of before. The guitar is so resonant and sustaining that if playing open strings you need to mute the string before moving to a chording that doesn’t contain that note, or it becomes kind of dissonant, like pedaling with a piano. OM size I am loving and I’m very happy with the overall action and fretboard. From this experience I could always recommend Eastman as a great vendor.
Thanks to everyone for recommending the Eastman. I’m sure I would have been happy enough with the Alvarez, but I got a great guitar for a great price.
Old 03-23-2023, 07:06 PM

I'd echo what many have said here; if you're going to compare Eastman with another brand, it should be with such as Martin or Taylor, etc. rather than laminated Alvarez models. Eastmans are high-quality instruments.
Old 03-23-2023, 07:52 PM

I'm curious if people have a similar sentiment for the Yairi-built Alvarez guitars vs Eastman? My understanding is they are a step above other Alvarez guitars, though many seem to still have layered back and sides.
Old 03-24-2023, 01:34 AM

Alavarez's Masterworks line of guitars are all-solid, and they are really great for factory-made guitars. Yairis are all handmade in Japan. Some models are all-solid, and some are not. All the Yairis I have played were incredibly good. I really like Eastman as well, but they are quite hard to find in my area.
Old 03-24-2023, 09:17 AM

For me the better question is Eastman or Martin. I've played many OM Martins and none can rival my Eastman E40 OM. Nothing against Alvarez, but like many have said the Eastmans are less of a "factory" guitar by the way they are handcrafted. They are more difficult to find right now due post COVID logistical issues.
McConnell MJ (Cedar & African Blackwood)
Eastman E40 OM
Taylor 816ce Builder's Edition
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Taylor T5 Koa

“The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.” –James Taylor
Old 03-24-2023, 10:26 AM

Eastmans are certainly handcrafted. Martins are not, unless you are talking custom shop, and Alvarez are not, but Yairis are.

I would choose an Eastman over a Martin in a heartbeat.
Old 03-24-2023, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

I recently played an Eastman acoustic of some flavor or another (not sure which model) at my local guitar shop. I was stunned at how great it sounded. It was heavenly.

I immediately put it back in the rack and walked away because because I was already trying to rationalize why I should buy it when, in fact, I need another acoustic about as much as I need my skull bashed in. But it was a stunningly good guitar, and a tremendous value for the price they were asking. It didn't stay on the rack long. Next time I checked, it was long gone. Someone good a great guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
alvarez, choose, eastman, orchestra, wood