The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2023, 08:32 AM

Default Included case affect on price of used guitar

How much do you think is added into the price of a used guitar being sold with an unblemished Gator molded ABS case? The case sells for $150 plus tax, delivered, right now from Amazon.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 03-24-2023, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
How much do you think is added into the price of a used guitar being sold with an unblemished Gator molded ABS case? The case sells for $150 plus tax, delivered, right now from Amazon.
IME, not much really, when the case is maybe even a new OEM case

Like a Gibson USA style case -- they cost 200 bucks, I don't think you're getting much of that back

just my thoughts mind you

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-24-2023, 08:54 AM

In my experience, if you take a guitar with case into Guitarcenter looking to trade for something, they'll give you an insulting amount for the guitar and.... zero for the case. (I decided to sell on reverb.)

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 03-24-2023, 08:57 AM

Very little.
Old 03-24-2023, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

I would not pay any extra for a used guitar that originally came with a case.
And, generally would deduct from offer for one missing the original case (not including a Carleton type), but then I really like nice cases.
Old 03-24-2023, 09:11 AM

I would figure that a quality hard case with no issues would add $50 value to a guitar being sold on line. As mentioned above, GC (and I suspect most stores) a case won't add any value at all if you're trying to sell to them.
Old 03-24-2023, 09:13 AM

$50? Or less?

Some folks and dealers will try to squeeze some extra money/profit when selling a used guitar by sending you the guitar in a cheap case, and resell the better original hardcase. That has happened to me twice, both times with hard-to-find Greven guitar that I bought without seeing/playing first. But including a nice case with a guitar rarely increases what you can get for the guitar, even if the guitar was originally sold without a case.

I think most folks don’t dig into details, such as the type and condition of a case, or whether an electronic gizmo is being sold with or without an adapter ( as opposed to using batteries to power it).
Old 03-24-2023, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

For a third-party case , I'd add 1/2 its retail IFF I actually need such a case. Otherwise, I'd add next to nothing (the case is just another bulky thing to take up space in the house).
Old 03-24-2023, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
$50? Or less?

Some folks and dealers will try to squeeze some extra money/profit when selling a used guitar by sending you the guitar in a cheap case, and resell the better original hardcase. That has happened to me twice, both times with hard-to-find Greven guitar that I bought without seeing/playing first. But including a nice case with a guitar rarely increases what you can get for the guitar, even if the guitar was originally sold without a case.

I think most folks don’t dig into details, such as the type and condition of a case, or whether an electronic gizmo is being sold with or without an adapter ( as opposed to using batteries to power it).
"quality hard case with no issues"
Old 03-24-2023, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
Hey Sf…
I always sold guitars in the cheapest case that would fit them.

Exceptions - 'IF' I sold my Olson or Bashkin, they have custom fitted Calton cases, and either would be factored in at a higher rate. At today's prices those are $1500 cases (each).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-24-2023, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

If it's a guitar that would have come with a case when new, then it would add nothing at all.

If it's with a guitar that didn't originally come with a case, then maybe $25-50 tops.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 03-24-2023, 03:24 PM

If a brick-&-mortar or online dealer is selling a quality brand-name/boutique used instrument - or you're selling same privately - IME an original hard-shell case (or a custom-made heavy-duty/road case - Calton, Hoffee, older Mark Leaf, etc.) in good shape will definitely add value, sometimes well into the four-figure range when you're talking about collector-quality pieces (Gibson Loar-era 5-Series, early Super 400, '50s LP; prewar Epiphone Emperor; parlor-era "New York" Martin; "thermometer" and tweed Fender; et al.), and proportionately less for more recent fare ('70s Martin "blue" ABS; '90s Taylor "pink poodle"; 2K's Lowden/Avalon OEM Hiscox; current Gibson "tan/pink" '50s reissue, etc.)...

Speaking as one who has had to resort to non-OEM cases (from various makers) on several occasions, don't expect much return (if any) for a non-TSA Gator HSC - and depending on the instrument therein, even those are minimal in added value...
Old 03-24-2023, 03:53 PM

None of this matters when the guitar value is north of $1,000, and it's a shipping transaction, because the value of a used case is about equal to the shipping cost.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion