The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-23-2023, 02:04 PM

Question Godin Kingpin CWII Pickup Height

I have a question about the height of the bridge pickup on my Godin Kingpin CWII (p90 version). I'm having some work done on it by a tech, with the objective of making it a little more playable. He is cutting the nut slots a little lower, adjusting the truss rod, etc.

What has us both stumped is the height of the bridge pickup and how that limits how low the bridge can be brought down. Along with advice, if anyone can post a similar photo of their Kingpin II, that would be appreciated.

Last edited by Long Road Home; 03-23-2023 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Add request for photos
Old 03-23-2023, 02:41 PM

I did a little searching and here's a post from jazzguitar.be that deals with the same issue. Does this make sense to you?

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-23-2023, 06:12 PM

The tech just let me know that he had removed the pickup spacer and, along with filing the nut slots, he could lower the bridge enough to improve the playability considerably. I'm looking forward to picking it up tomorrow and playing it without grimacing.
Old 03-24-2023, 06:54 PM

Did you buy that used? I own a Kingpin myself, and have played a couple of others, and have never seen one with that extra shim on the bridge pickup, maybe a previous owner added that, for whatever reasons...
Old 03-24-2023, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanS View Post
...never seen one with that extra shim on the bridge pickup...
Mine's a 2012 (in the now-discontinued blonde finish) and it came from the factory with the same thick shim - TMK they were all built that way back then, and I've never had a second's trouble with either action or pickup-to-pickup balance...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 03-24-2023 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-24-2023, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanS View Post
Did you buy that used? I own a Kingpin myself, and have played a couple of others, and have never seen one with that extra shim on the bridge pickup, maybe a previous owner added that, for whatever reasons...
I did buy it used. I guess that it's possible that the previous owner put an extra shim in.
Old 03-24-2023, 08:51 PM

The tech removed the shim and did a little extra work on the pickup housing and I'm happy to say that, as the saying goes, the guitar now plays like (proverbial) butter.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops