The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-13-2023, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Default writing software recs...

Any easy to use song writing apps for laptop that allow inserting chords above lyrics in a relatively easy way?

would be happy with freeware/crippled versions, as I'm not quitting my day job anytime soon.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 03-13-2023, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Any easy to use song writing apps for laptop that allow inserting chords above lyrics in a relatively easy way?

would be happy with freeware/crippled versions, as I'm not quitting my day job anytime soon.
Hi dnf-etc
Yes, there is a simple-to-learn format called ChordPro which precisely places chords exactly above the lyric or spot they are needed.

ChordPro formatting…
  • ChordPro is a simple, nearly universal chord formatting process…
  • It embeds the chord in line with the lyrics and then you can increase/decrease and even change the fonts and they will follow the changes without having to be reformatted.

It will not take old charts and convert them for you, but it is so easy to use that it's worth the ½ hour it takes to learn it.

There is a $5 USD Macintosh ChordPro application in the Mac app store named 'Chord-Pro-Buddy' which allows one to create/preview charts and then either print or export them as pdf files. I'm sure there is a comparable Windows program as well.

ChordPro is great because it precisely places the chords above the exact spot it's needed, and it's simple to learn.

Hope this helps…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-13-2023, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

MuseScore does guitar chords. My free version is one generation old.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 03-22-2023, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Another vote for the LinkeSOFT.com Songbook program. Cheap, runs on multiple devices, and with the help of Google Drive you can sync your stuff on all your devices. ChordPro format.

I use it on my Windows 10 PC (has the most printing options and gives me a real keyboard for input) my iPhone & iPad (the devices I use the most) and android tablets.

I have a license for each operating system, ranging in price from $5 to $12. No monthly subscriptions, and they continue to make updates to the program for no additional charges. I have been using it for 7 or 8 years.

It also makes song lists. You can easily share a song list and all associated lyric/chord sheets for each song on the list in printable format with a single click.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write