The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2020, 10:47 PM

Default Does anyone else get extreme anxiety after a huge purchase?

So, I've been wanting to upgrade to a serious acoustic for awhile now, but I kept going back and forth between a Martin D18 and D28. At one point, I even put a down payment on a D18 only to change my mind. Every time I thought I knew which one I wanted, it changed. Partly because I could never find a store that had both in stock. Well, today I found a store that did.

Long story short, at first, it seemed like the D18 was more alive and it was the sure fire winner. However, as I played both more, the D28 seemed to open up and..., I pulled the trigger and bought the D28.

I should be happy right? Well, I am, but my brain is stupid and I keep going over every D28 I've played, in every store, and I can't stop wondering if I bought the best one. It's stupid and I know I got one hell of a guitar no matter what.

Does anyone else go through something similar? If so, how do you stop yourself and just enjoy your purchase?
Old 02-22-2020, 10:55 PM

It sounds like you could have bought the D-18 or the D-28 and it would have been the correct decision. Do you think you'd have the same anxiety if you had bought the D-18?

Any chance you can take your D-28 back to the store and A/B it against the D-18 and swap?
Old 02-22-2020, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
It sounds like you could have bought the D-18 or the D-28 and it would have been the correct decision. Do you think you'd have the same anxiety if you had bought the D-18?

Any chance you can take your D-28 back to the store and A/B it against the D-18 and swap?
Oh I definitely would have still had the anxiety. I think it's more the money and the fear of the unknown(what if).

And it's not even really the D-18 vs. the D-28 anymore lol. It's moved on to whether or not I chose the correct D-28 out of all the ones I've played lately. I think they call this neuroticism
Old 02-22-2020, 11:10 PM

It’s easy to overthink things like that. Just be happy with your purchase and enjoy the heck out of it. I once passed over a D18ge for a d18 . I now sleep like a baby.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:11 PM

This is buyer's remorse, and it affects people depending on their perspective on the cost of the object and the perceived value.

Money in the bank (hopefully not on credit, but this still applies) represents untapped potential. The options on how to spend it are many, maybe infinite. As soon as its spent, those options are gone. Buyer's remorse is our sense of loss for those now unavailable options.

I believe you would feel exactly the same no matter which guitar you chose.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:13 PM

Certainly! Buyer's remorse is a real thing. Up to you as to how you handle it. Sometimes people have it because they feel guilty about spending money. And worry that what they brought isn't as good as it should be is related to guilt feelings.

I certainly had that crop up when I got a great deal on a Martin D-18 style special via Musician's Friend. I felt guilty for spending the money, worried that I should have just waited for a D-28 because that might be a better instrument, worried that there were better instruments out there that I should have found, etc. I just set those thoughts in the back of my mind best I could and waited it out. And finally they subside and now it's like, "Yes, this is a great instrument, and I deserve it. And so what if I find something even better? I'll decide what to do then if it happens, because a Martin will hold its value better than most guitars and I won't lose a big chunk of money on used value."
Old 02-22-2020, 11:15 PM
Charter Member

Hi Crossroads,
It happens. Sometimes, we second guess ourselves. But I think you were in a position where both choices were good ones.

You a/bed two guitars and one grew on you the more you played it. You bought it.

I can’t recall too many folks saying, “Gee, I wish I hadn’t bought a D 28.”

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849
Old 02-22-2020, 11:15 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have had that experience with cars but not guitars. I do understand having a hard time picking between a D-18 and a D-28 though. They are both great choices, just different. I think that any higher end purchase can be anxiety producing when we have limited resources. I also think that there are tons of fabulous guitars out there that I will never own but that doesn’t mean I don’t love the guitars that I have any less. Give yourself some time to get to know the guitar that you chose and remember to be excited that you are finally owning one of the guitars that you have always wanted. How cool is that?!

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-22-2020, 11:16 PM

^^This.

So now just try to enjoy the new guitar, and not think of others UNTIL...you get your savings built up again, then:

Seriously, it’ll pass. I just recently bought the two most $$ guitars in my sig, but every time I play them I smile. That’s what it’s all about.
Larivee OM-40
Guild D-125 12 NAT
Yamaha CSF3M TBS
USA Stratocaster
Gibson les Paul Junior
Custom built Thinline Tele
Old 02-22-2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossroads684 View Post

Does anyone else go through something similar? If so, how do you stop yourself and just enjoy your purchase?
I got older and stopped worrying about little things. You'll be fine in a few years.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post

Shoot, I wish I WAS saying that to myself.
Larivee OM-40
Guild D-125 12 NAT
Yamaha CSF3M TBS
USA Stratocaster
Gibson les Paul Junior
Custom built Thinline Tele
Old 02-22-2020, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaC View Post
^^This.

So now just try to enjoy the new guitar, and not think of others UNTIL...you get your savings built up again, then:

Seriously, it’ll pass. I just recently bought the two most $$ guitars in my sig, but every time I play them I smile. That’s what it’s all about.
Lmao! Very true about waiting until the savings builds up again.

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I guess I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one who's ever gone through this because it's been awhile since I've spent this much on a guitar. Last time, it was all stars and joy, so this was just a weird combination of feelings.

I'll be sure and come back Saturday and post some pics when I pick it up. I had them give it a once over and put new strings on it. Thanks again!
Old 02-22-2020, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
Well somebody must, because they do show up on the used market.....
Old 02-22-2020, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossroads684 View Post
Oh I definitely would have still had the anxiety. I think it's more the money and the fear of the unknown(what if).

And it's not even really the D-18 vs. the D-28 anymore lol. It's moved on to whether or not I chose the correct D-28 out of all the ones I've played lately. I think they call this neuroticism
This is not a life or death decision, so the first mistake is treating as such. Both are great and versatile guitars, and both have best resale in acoustic used market. So if you change your mind down the road, no big deal, except for maybe a little cash churn cost, in which case it’s just money. Money is not life unless you can’t pay a dr bill and the doctor refuses treatment.

Meanwhile, play and enjoy the music and life’s.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 02-22-2020, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Well somebody must, because they do show up on the used market.....
I thought only when the owner was upgrading to a D-41!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion