The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2020, 06:17 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Easy now. Being a guitar forum, these things being discussed are of little consequence outside the forum. Those of us who have experienced the world outside our own little corner are not going to mistake an oddly placed soundport for some seismic world change. Things get pretty silly here, no doubt. But all in all, it is just a bit of fun and I like to think most of us realize that.

Tony

Yes - it's all about giving the "people" what they want - and Taylor's been doing a pretty good job of that for a long time! I just wish they had started putting them in the traditional place personally.

Old 02-22-2020, 06:20 PM

An extra hole facing away from the player actually makes more sense than toward the player if ya think about it.

2021 Taylor 114e
2020 Martin 000-18
2020 Martin LXME
Old 02-22-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I mean, seriously, does that actually shake the foundations of your worldview?!?
No, what worries me is that it reinforces my world view.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:44 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazine View Post
An extra hole facing away from the player actually makes more sense than toward the player if ya think about it.
What would you say to support that?

Old 02-22-2020, 06:48 PM

Well the sound hole in the center of the guitar serves a purpose of projecting sound outward. Wouldnt it make more sense to have a soundport that faces outward as well? Seems like it would have a better purpose for someone that is playing for an audience.

2021 Taylor 114e
2020 Martin 000-18
2020 Martin LXME
Old 02-22-2020, 07:01 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazine View Post
Well the sound hole in the center of the guitar serves a purpose of projecting sound outward. Wouldnt it make more sense to have a soundport that faces outward as well? Seems like it would have a better purpose for someone that is playing for an audience.
My take is that is what microphones and/or pickups are for (audiences)

Old 02-22-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerbob View Post
I personally like sound ports, my experience is they do what is claimed the majority of the time. In this case putting a mic in front of the guitar then covering the port will not duplicate the player's experience.

It seems to lower the volume when he covered it but the explanation he gave was it was supposed to "surround" the player with the sound normally heard only out front. So unless he put a mic at his ear I don't see how the video will tell us anything useful.

On the other hand, I had a Nightingale with the "flutes" sound ports which are pretty much under the player's right arm and yet they definitely create a "surround sound" effect very distinctive from guitar with them plugged. So who knows, but this item like the V-bracing will require in person evaluation.

But they won't sell me one anyway as long as the only saddle spacing offered is 2 3/16.
I like sound ports too. Just not ones that look absolutely rediculous.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 02-22-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Soundport facing away from the player . . .

Next up - rosewood top, spruce back & sides?
Lol...nice...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 02-22-2020, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Boy, you guys are harsh!

As for me, I’m going to reserve judgement on this new soundport design until I get a chance to play a guitar that has one for myself. Unlike what seems like everyone else, I can’t see much point in criticizing either Taylor or Andy Powers for trying new things: I mean, honestly? How does it harm any of us if Taylor puts a soundport where none of us of us would expect to see one? I mean, seriously, does that actually shake the foundations of your worldview?!?

Not mine. If it works, more power to them.

Short version: it doesn’t trouble me in the slightest when Taylor does something that I don’t expect. In fact, I admire them for it.

After all, the last I checked, the Taylor Guitar Company has not been sending gun thugs to drag reluctant guitar owners to music stores to buy ANY of their products. Participation remains entirely voluntary.

Wade Hampton Miller
They are a brave company for sure. This sound port proves it...lol

I see your point a bit. They definitely are a pretty progressive company that is pretty willing to change things up generally. I guess they deserve some props and admiration for that. I guess coming a long with this will be some hits and misses.

This is a major miss for me. For a company that, at least to me, is usually so on the mark in terms of design language, I can’t believe this gaff. I really can’t. I find it that offensive looking. Lol.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 02-22-2020, 07:47 PM

Like I already wrote, I’m reserving judgement on Taylor’s new soundport design until I can play one of these guitars for myself. I’m not going to fulminate against them online without hands-on experience first.

whm
Old 02-22-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Easy now. Being a guitar forum, these things being discussed are of little consequence outside the forum. Those of us who have experienced the world outside our own little corner are not going to mistake an oddly placed soundport for some seismic world change. Things get pretty silly here, no doubt. But all in all, it is just a bit of fun and I like to think most of us realize that.

Tony
Yes, everything I read here echoes what I said in my thread. However they wanted to crucify me for asking

What is Bob thinking?

The consistent theme with Taylor is an oversell on the latest and greatest and look what we did. It makes loyal Taylor owners like myself feel if we do not get on board, we are missing out with our inferior previous purchases. Taylor is sputtering with all these gizmos and changes. I hope they settle down and dial things in and get in tune with their rational customer base. The short time Taylor is giving instruments to be excepted is not good financially for the customer or the company. Before you can except the change they move onto something else to change. Change is good, but to much change will leave you with none in the bank. And just because you can change does not mean you should. It is as if Andy is running around like a kid in a candy store, trying everything and anything just because he can.. Well that kid gets sick from eating all that candy. Bob and Kurt need to reign him in. You know what they say. Spoil the child, you spoil the ride. I don't want Taylor to get sick.

I like Taylor guitars. Have a room dedicated to them. I can think of three models I wanted to buy between 2015 and 2018 in addition to the ones I bought during that time. They made so many changes, that none of them are available anymore. Heck, bring those back along with a reissue of the Lemon Grove days and a few other times. They will sell like hotcakes.

What Taylor is doing is not good for business. I got alot of skin in their game and I want them to succeed because I want more Taylors. I think I went on a pleasant rant about the company I like. So enough from me for now.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

I also reserve judgement on the sound and feel of the guitar until I can actually play it. However, I don't care for the look of this sound port in the cutaway at all and, along with the rest of the guitar's attributes, either the look is appealing to me or not.

When all the discussion about V-class was raging here, I didn't voice an opinion, and was pleasantly surprised when I played the K14ce, and now own one. To me, the appointments on that guitar are perfect with the understated "bling" and the comfortable curves.

None of the acoustic guitars I own have pick guards because to me, they just look silly and I don't play with a pick anyway. There is enough variety in guitars available for all of us to find something that appeals.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-22-2020, 08:10 PM

I would like to try the new soundport model and see it in person. That is likely not happening anytime soon. Both my Taylor dealers have not ordered either one of the models that have it. I just don't like it.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
I also reserve judgement on the sound and feel of the guitar until I can actually play it. However, I don't care for the look of this sound port in the cutaway at all and, along with the rest of the guitar's attributes, either the look is appealing to me or not.

When all the discussion about V-class was raging here, I didn't voice an opinion, and was pleasantly surprised when I played the K14ce, and now own one. To me, the appointments on that guitar are perfect with the understated "bling" and the comfortable curves.

None of the acoustic guitars I own have pick guards because to me, they just look silly and I don't play with a pick anyway. There is enough variety in guitars available for all of us to find something that appeals.

Tony
To date, the K14ce is the only one that appeals to me out of the whole V braced bunch. The only reason I have not purchased it yet is I feel like I'm going to miss the next greatest thing,or find out I was a guinea pig in a overall failed lab experiment. Worse yet, It may sell before I come around to it. I guess what I'm saying after all this writing is my confidence is shaken in the company I like alot. I guess I have to get it out of my system. And no. I am not fulminating, just expressing my passion for TAYLOR guitars. No hate exists here.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:24 PM

Found this picture on the interweb - one of the very first 6 guitars made by Taylor next to this new 816ce Builders Edition.

I like the old one.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 02-22-2020 at 08:31 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion