The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-21-2020, 01:17 PM

Attended my 50th high school a few years ago and had a great time. A few were "shockers" and less recognizable, but others really aged well. I dated a girl in high school and was pretty smitten with her....she broke up with me........and I'd thought a lot about her over the years. She was there......highly recognizable and it was a nice reunion. However, she'd had serious Lyme disease and this took a toll which wasn't noticeable but very serious nonetheless (cognitive). She had to retire early and suffered for quite a few years before they stabilized things.
Headed for my 50th college reunion this spring......who knows what that will bring! It's certainly a time when you're shocked to find who's passed......leaves you with an appreciation of your own world still being here on earth and defines the days as little blessings....each and every one!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 02-23-2020, 01:34 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, it's easy to cling to memories of the beauties we knew in our prime - and sometimes shocking to see the ravages of time.

I never went to a reunion. But in 1999, I had a drink with a gal from my old neighborhood who graduated from HS in 1970-71. She was very successful, fit, beautiful and happily married. And very social. She'd been friends with everyone in her school - ahead of her and behind. So she had quite a database of people she'd kept tabs on over the years.

It was fascinating to hear her run forward and back through all the names I vaguely remembered from back then. I hadn't been in touch like she had because I took another route - dropped out and got a GED, played guitar in a band, joined the military, moved away, got educated later, had a good career and retired comfortably a couple years ago.

What shocked me was how many she knew who had died - and how. This was over 20 years ago, and I'm sure countless others have followed in the meantime. I'm hardly the talented, handsome, chiseled Adonis I imagined myself to be back then, but I certainly feel better off than all of those who left us over the past few decades.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:58 AM

I think this is what you are looking for.

"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

"Does it happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit by bit?"

"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

"I suppose you are real?" said the Rabbit. And then he wished he had not said it, for he thought the Skin Horse might be sensitive. But the Skin Horse only smiled.

Mark Twain
Old 02-23-2020, 02:09 AM

The funny thing is that deep down most of us still feel like we did when we were seventeen.

Mark Twain
Old 02-23-2020, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood_Lad View Post
The funny thing is that deep down most of us still feel like we did when we were seventeen.
No, I don't.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood_Lad View Post
From the "extra" verse in The Boxer

No it isn't strange
After changes upon changes
We are more or less the same
After changes we are more or less the same
Old 02-23-2020, 11:06 AM

My 50 year is coming up this year.

My thoughts on that:

Why would I spend a few hours and pay money to visit the same people that found me invisible then?

I will continue to remain invisible.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post

Why would I spend a few hours and pay money to visit the same people that found me invisible then?

This is exactly why I have never attended any of my high school reunions.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
If Keith Richards turned up at his school reunion I don't think many would be tut tuting about years of cigarettes and booze and wrinkly skin.

It seems that this attitude is generally reserved for the ladies.
Cigarettes, booze and lots and lots of cash probably give Keef a leg up at his reunions!
Old 02-23-2020, 04:03 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post
My 50 year is coming up this year.

My thoughts on that:

At almost all of my reunions, I had the best and longest conversations with folks I barely knew in school. Our class was about 450 for reference. People grow up (most anyway) might want to give that a chance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic