The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-20-2020, 02:45 PM

Tell me who's that old man in the mirror
And what's he doing standing there looking back at me.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 02-20-2020, 03:09 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lampson View Post
I'm shocked to read about "so many classmates in poor health, and deteriorating so much" that a 20 year HS reunion was depressing? Gawd! Those people were under 40 years old!

Don
At my 20th, a few of my good friends and I gathered at a table and things were getting going. Then this guy walked up to a podium and started talking.

After about 30 seconds I asked one of my friends "who the heck is that?"

It was our class president, who looked about 12 years old when we graduated. 5 foot, 110 lbs, no sign of facial hair. The guy behind the mic was 5'6" about 250 with a full beard.

His twin sister looks like she did when she graduated to this day.

Last edited by fitness1; 02-20-2020 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-20-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lampson View Post
I'm shocked to read about "so many classmates in poor health, and deteriorating so much" that a 20 year HS reunion was depressing? Gawd! Those people were under 40 years old!

Don
It's a small, economically depressed area. People make poor food choices, poor choices about drugs, alcohol, and exercise. They don't have a lot of options and many have a pretty a hard life. It adds up fast, apparently.

Glad I got out when I did.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:27 PM

I don’t know what to say except people comment I look 20 years younger than my age but it means absolutely *nothing* - I won’t comment about women because I don’t feel I have the right - with men there are guys who look 20 years older than their age because they worked themselves to the bone for the security of their families - it’s a badge of honour to look worn out, almost. As for people looking old due to substance abuse it’s too bad but it’s common.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
with men there are guys who look 20 years older than their age because they worked themselves to the bone for the security of their families - it’s a badge of honour to look worn out,
Laboring in the weather for your family's well being is a good look.

I prefer it over some alternatives.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 02-21-2020, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...I won’t comment about women because I don’t feel I have the right - with men there are guys who look 20 years older than their age because they worked themselves to the bone for the security of their families - it’s a badge of honour to look worn out, almost. As for people looking old due to substance abuse it’s too bad but it’s common.
As a female prison lifer once shared, "It's not the age; it's the mileage."

Last edited by RP; 02-21-2020 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
...I could barely recognize her....
The last high school reunion I went to, I couldn't recognize about 90% of the people there.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 02-21-2020, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

I grew a beard hoping it would make me look distinguished but it just makes me look even older.

Running out of options here
Old 02-21-2020, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Some people simply age better than others.

I've seen people that aged shockingly - and I see a strong correlation with smokers aging much worse.

I was (not meanly) teased by my friends as a kid because I had such a baby face, as opposed to my friends who had to shave a full beard in middle school.

But, I told them "just wait.....when we're fifty I'll still look good and you'll be an old man".

For the most part, I got some vindication

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 02-21-2020, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
people comment I look 20 years younger than my age but it means absolutely *nothing* -
When I was a boy they said I was mature for my age but most of my adult life people have told me I look allot younger than I am. But I agree it really means nothing. I am my age. I find it foolish to attempt to be younger or older than you are. I absolutely hate hair dye and cosmetic surgery. On anybody.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-21-2020, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
...I find it foolish to attempt to be younger or older than you are...
I agree but won't make that decision for others. I've long espoused and tried to follow the wisdom of Popeye...

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

...I have been with my wife for forty years now...she comes from a family with a history of great health and longevity...and she looks great and at least ten years younger than her actual age...

.....I on the other hand come from a family that is not so blessed with great health....I take care of myself but I show my age....I don’t look unhealthy but most people would likely guess my age pretty accurately...given that I am seven years older than my wife there appears to be a more significant age discrepancy...I keep waiting for someone to mistake my wife for my daughter...

....as far as high school reunions go...I don’t reckon I will ever attend one...just not my idea of a good time
Old 02-21-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post

I've seen people that aged shockingly - and I see a strong correlation with smokers aging much worse.
I got lucky. I smoked for nearly 30 years. Most people assume I'm about seven to ten years younger than I am. Whether smoking will catch up with me or not, I have no idea.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:55 AM

People are always shocked when I tell them my age. They always guess 10 to 15 years younger. In some cases, like mine, the alcohol consumption apparently acts as some kind of preservative.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Due to geography and finances I have never been to any HS reunions. I was contacted by one of my good friends from HS encouraging me to attend, but I could not. However, I got on the Facebook page for the reunion and it was interesting. And then, they posted about 50 pictures of the get together at a local restaurant in my home town that they held the event. Like has been said, after 50 years many of them I could not have recognized except for the name tag they were wearing, and then I could remember. Surprisingly though, several were instantly recognizable! All the attendees did look their age to some degree. The girl I dated my entire senior year was a year behind us but she attended as a special invitee as she was married to a member of our class who was tragically killed in a motorcycle accident on a charity ride about 5-8 years prior. She was very recognizable as I was smitten with her as a 17 year old hopeless romantic! But she was heavier a little bit, but the smile was still like I remembered from 50 years ago. I feel had I gone with my wife it would have been very boring for her and I would have felt strangely odd as I had not kept up with my classmates after about 2 years of college. And looking at the pics, there were several that I would have never guessed. And, I am talking of a graduating class of 58 people, a very small school. I knew everyone in my class to at least a point where I could hold a conversation with then while we were in school. I do not regret not going, the pictures were enough for me. It is sad as we had lost some classmates of course with the passing of time, and I knew of only two of the 9 or so who had passed as they were killed in car wrecks only one or two years after graduation. Like I said, the pictures were interesting, but sad as it makes one deal with one's own aging and mortality.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic