The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-12-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I think it was around 1997 when Chrysler took over Jeep and started building garbage. We had a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and it took three motors to get it to 200,000 miles. I'm sure we paid for that car three times in payments + repairs. What an absolute turd.

The thing is, I really love the way a lot of Chrysler products look on the surface. I loved the 300's, Magnums, and the 4-door Wranglers, but I'll buy one again.
Acquiring the Jeep name (which was part of American Motors Corp) was the entire reason Chrysler bought AMC. That was in 1987.

From there, Chrysler basically continued to build the YJ (Wrangler) and XJ (Cherokee) using the parts and engineering developed by AMC. The ZJ (Grand Cherokee) had been sort of designed by AMC by time Chrysler bought AMC, but Chrysler had to do a lot of the engineering and design themselves.

The YJ was replaced by the TJ for 1996/1997, which was nearly a full redesign, only using the basic powertrain from the YJ (whose roots were AMC).

The XJ continued production until 2001 when it was retired.

The ZJ was replaced in 1998 by the WJ.

The last vestige of the AMC dna was retired in 2008 when Chrysler quit building the old 4.0L inline six and replaced with the 3.8L V6 (which was quickly replaced by the 3.6 DOHC V6).

Anyway, those early Cherokees and Grand Cherokees were pretty crappy vehicles, but were very reliable with some maintenance.

I also like Chrysler/FCA designs. They are good at styling vehicles - but their detail management and ability to fully-integrate all the bits and pieces that come together to create a full vehicle package is generally very poor.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:15 AM

All I'll say is my 2018 Subaru Outback Limited is THE best vehicle I've owned in well over 50 years of driving. My wife feels the same about her 2018 Subaru Forester Touring.

In those 50 years, between the two of us, we've owned Chevy, Mazda, Ford, Honda, Saturn, Toyota, and Lexus.

We're sticking with Subaru.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Acquiring the Jeep name (which was part of American Motors Corp) was the entire reason Chrysler bought AMC. That was in 1987.
Jeeps have one of the best re-sale of any vehicle. They hold their value higher and longer.

Ram trucks regularly outsell Chevy trucks and are often in the # 2 spot. And those Ram boxes are a brilliant idea for a truck.

Chrysler/FCA has come a long way since the old days and have a large presence in the American Heartland.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 02-13-2020, 08:29 AM

I hate to say it, but I'm done with American car companies. I've owned several GMs and Fords over the years, and only 1 has made it to 100K miles. It was a Suburban and it took a lot of work to get that many miles on it. It was constantly in the shop.

I've also owned 6 Toyotas (beginning with a '69 Corona), 1 Honda, 1 Hyundai, and a Subaru. Everyone one of these vehicles easily made it to 100K with no major repairs; just routine maintenance. The only exception is the Subaru...it's brand new so I haven't had it long enough to run the miles up.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJE" View Post
Could I ask what the vechicle's average MPG is?

Just out of curiousity

Right now, the average mileage is 13.8, but we've only had it a couple of weeks. I'm sure it's considering the previous owners driving habits as well. However, considering its size and power, that's really not bad considering my little Nissan Frontier with a V6 (non-turbo) got about the same mileage.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
All I'll say is my 2018 Subaru Outback Limited is THE best vehicle I've owned in well over 50 years of driving. My wife feels the same about her 2018 Subaru Forester Touring.

In those 50 years, between the two of us, we've owned Chevy, Mazda, Ford, Honda, Saturn, Toyota, and Lexus.

'15 Forester and '19 Impreza here. I have nothing against Toyota. Fine cars. Better than almost all. 'Cept Subarus.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Jeeps have one of the best re-sale of any vehicle. They hold their value higher and longer.

Ram trucks regularly outsell Chevy trucks and are often in the # 2 spot. And those Ram boxes are a brilliant idea for a truck.

Chrysler/FCA has come a long way since the old days and have a large presence in the American Heartland.
I worked as a powertrain engineer at Chrysler 5 years. I'm familiar with their company. I can provide no reasonable explanation for the amazing re-sale of Jeep, other than image.

Ram trucks outsold Chevy for the first time ever in 2019, so it is not a "regular" thing. Maybe it will become a regular thing, but way too early to tell.

FCA has indeed come a long way! But despite a strong employee discount - I did not (and still do not, and likely will never) have a Mopar in the parking lot. Anecdotally, when you work for Ford, the parking lot is 90+% Ford product. At GM, it's about 75%. At Chrysler, it's less than 50%. Does that say something?
Old 02-13-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
I worked as a powertrain engineer at Chrysler 5 years. I'm familiar with their company. I can provide no reasonable explanation for the amazing re-sale of Jeep, other than image.

Ram trucks outsold Chevy for the first time ever in 2019, so it is not a "regular" thing. Maybe it will become a regular thing, but way too early to tell.

FCA has indeed come a long way! But despite a strong employee discount - I did not (and still do not, and likely will never) have a Mopar in the parking lot. Anecdotally, when you work for Ford, the parking lot is 90+% Ford product. At GM, it's about 75%. At Chrysler, it's less than 50%. Does that say something?
This was more in my line of thinking. Thank you for posting.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:29 PM

My 07 Camry is one of the best vehicles Ive ever owned -
I also have a 2011 Honda odessey and thats a great vehicle as well .
Darn good vehicles -both of them
Old 02-13-2020, 06:38 PM

Here in Australia there is a 6 month waiting list for the Toyota RAV hybrid.
Great warranty and fixed price servicing.
You will pay less in servicing during the entire RAV warranty period than a single service on a new Volvo XC60 here in Australia - ridiculous!

I drive a 2012 Subaru XV (crossover in US?) .. still has original tyres.

Hybrid versions of Forrester and XV due here this year.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 02-13-2020, 06:56 PM

Brought a new 02 Toyota Tacoma 18 years ago and sold it to my nephew last summer with 272,000 miles on it. Still ran like a top and the 3.4 liter V6 did not burn or leak oil. Best vehicle I've ever owned.
I bought my ex-wife's 2000 4Runner that she bought new, when she got a new 2019 4Runner. It had 193,000 miles and is pristeen. She babied it and meticulously maintained it. It will easily go another 100,000. The gen 3 4Runners are the most popular and the prices on low milage versions in good shape are going up.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:52 PM

My two Toyota's:

1998 Rav 4 (my wife purchased new, prior to our getting married) 384,800 km.
2000 Echo (my eldest daughter's car, passed down now to her brother) 407,200 km.

I've done most of the "doable" engine repairs myself. Pick-n-pull is "Heaven", for these old cars! The Toyota's will run forever, if properly maintained. And, if the timing belt goes your engine is ruined, like a Honda.

Always liked Toyota!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 02-14-2020, 02:11 PM

I have two employees with early Toyota Prius's - both have WELL over 300k miles on them - but it's impossible to know.

The Prius odometer quits counting at 299,999 miles!

Both pegged the odo many years ago. Both still going strong. Both have needed minimal maintenance, aside from new batteries; which is "routine maintenance", but a fairly major one.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
And, if the timing belt goes your engine is ruined, like a Honda.

Always liked Toyota!
My '95 Subaru Legacy has a non-interference engine, so if the timing belt breaks you're dead on the side of the road, but you can just sling a new belt on there and you're good to go!
Old 02-14-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post

I just had an oil change. The new and used salespeople tried really hard but I want 3 more years at least.

Your post makes sense to me. We've had higher end vehicles and love the Outback. The newer Foresters have become much more civilized kind of like the past two generation or 2010+ Outbacks.

My Outback is low mileage but really hard use. It is off-road at the ski area up to every day of the week. I do think of Toyota with it because it is still a rattle free good vehicle for a 2013.

You can drive an Acura, Lexus or the lesser twin SUVs and get in an Outback feeling the lower center of gravity. When it's really slippery the Outback is better than any 4x4 I've ever had.

The big one to me is all boxer engines are more castings and prone to head gasket issues. Each generation gets better. I wonder if the Outback will be as truly perfect as my 4Runner was at age 15 or age 20 for the kid who bought it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic