The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 01-28-2020, 07:31 AM

Default Saw Lyle Lovett last night

This was our sixth time seeing Lyle. My wife calls herself his biggest fan. It was a great concert (2+ hours) in a small venue in Clearwater, FL. He had a bunch of crackerjack bluegrass players with him: a fiddler player/vocalist, a guitar/mandolin & vocalist, dobro (Josh Smith from Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver), and upright bass. Their bus driver came out for 3 songs and played a mean piano!

He had two guitars on stage but only played what appeared to be a Collins. I think the other was a Taylor based on the pickguard shape. Sitting pretty close I finally understood how he gets that chimmy tone: he uses steel finger picks. The thumbpick was white so I assume plastic. The other guitar player had two of the same brand but I did not recognize the pickguard shape and could not see the headstock. He played all the leads and you could tell he was a bluegrass player. Very fast. Can't remember his name but he's played with Vince Gill in the past. In the encore finale, every one got a solo.

Obviously mostly Lyle tunes but he covered a Guy Clark song and one he wrote with Robert Earl Keen (they met as Texas A&M students in 1976). Easily one of the most enjoyable concerts I've ever seen. This was the kickoff of his 2020 tour.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:34 AM

Love Lyle!

There's no last minute "get in on this" for me

He's playing in Boone, NC (nearest to me) February 1st...SOLD OUT!
Old 01-28-2020, 08:39 AM
AGF Sponsor

Lyle is fantastic, I've seen him about a dozen times over the past 20 or so years. Many formats from the Large Band (always a thrill, fantastic players and singers) to a mostly acoustic, smaller group that included Sam Bush. At the last show we were sitting only two rows from the stage at the Cape Cod Melody Tent and the small pit where his guitar tech was set up was right in front of us. Had an interesting discussion with him. Both those guitars are Collings, and I said to the guitar tech - do you mean to tell me he only travels with two guitars?!? He kind of shrugged and said yeah, those are the ones he likes and he doesn't see the need to bring any others. He also said he is the guitar tech for the Dixie Chicks and Natalie always brings over a dozen! At the end of the show I asked him if he would give me one of the hand written set lists that was sitting next to him on the stage. Unfortunately, he wouldn't do it! Now, that would have gone up in a frame in my studio!

One of the things that has always impressed me about Lyle is his modesty and how much he respects and values his band. A rare thing these days for a "star."

And oh by the way, my wife would like to respectfully disagree with yours..... SHE is Lyle's biggest fan! ;~)

Gene
Old 01-28-2020, 08:43 AM
AGF Sponsor

...and when he tours with the Large Band he almost always has a fantastic opening act. Once about ten years ago he had Buddy Miller and his wife. The sad part was that while they were playing the audience was still coming in and most of the people already there had no idea who he was and just talked through the entire performance. Sad. I heard Lyle's tour with Jon Hiatt last year was wonderful, wish I'd seen that one.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
I heard Lyle's tour with Jon Hiatt last year was wonderful, wish I'd seen that one.
I saw Lyle with Hiatt several years ago and most recently (until last night,) with Robert Earl Keen (who had been at this same venue the previous night with Kris Kristofferson.) Both were great shows, just two talented singer/songwriters swapping tunes.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Saw him with Bonnie Raitt a while back at Chasdain in Atlanta. Killer concert and great venue.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-28-2020, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Love Lyle and his songs and his presentation.

I share his love and respect for Guy Clark too. (I even visited Monahans once - just to see his place of birth!)

AFAIK he plays Collings exclusively and supported Bill Collings a lot when he was starting out.

I've never seen Lyle live. doubt I will now, - don't like big concert venues any more.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:45 AM

I've played with a plastic thumbpick and two or three metal fingerpicks since my college roommate turned me onto them back in the mid 60's.

These pics deliver 85% of my tone with the guitar delivering the rest.

I don't leave home without 'em.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I've never seen Lyle live. doubt I will now, - don't like big concert venues any more.
Not sure what you consider big. The venue last night was probably 500 tops. To me, that's a small venue.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

I got to take my wife and 2 other ladies to see Lyle and his Big Band in August. What an amazing show he puts on ! I agree with the post above, he pays homage to every band member, tells about their family, and gives them their moment to shine. I have never seen a musician love on his band as much as Lyle.

I got the thrill of spending an hour with him on his tour bus a year ago. He is helping a mutual friend and performer get out his second CD after 45 years. Lyle thinks of him as a mentor, although Lyle has now put out like 16 albums. He is our investor group's biggest hope to put this thing out. He's a great listener, and just an all around great guy to hang with. He took me to sound check after our talk, and introduced me to every member of the band and stage team, and then during the acoustic practice, told me how he wrote a bunch of the songs. It was such a fun afternoon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lyle Backstage Pic.jpg (38.2 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg Lyle 1.jpg (42.8 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg Lyle 2.jpg (28.6 KB, 154 views)

1973 Guild D40 6 string.

1995 Olson SJ
Old 01-28-2020, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Only saw Lyle one time, but it was a stellar show... at a small ampitheatre in Livermore, a "dinner and show" presentation... Lyle was terrific, as I knew he would be...

I love his sense of humor, love many of his records (cds), loves how he pays respect to so many other songwriters... I was floored when he made the double cd, "Step Inside This House", directly following a huge hit recording for him; I'm pretty sure he "took care of" all the songwriters who's work he put on that album...

A VERY classy guy, great songwriter with strong integrity... wish there were more like him!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-28-2020, 02:54 PM

What a timely post. I'm going to see Lyle Friday night and I can't wait. I'm a long-time fan, but this will be the first time I've see him live. It should be a great evening.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:17 AM

I took my wife to see him a few months ago Her first time, my second. I saw him w/the Large Band about 20 years ago. This time was an acoustic show w/his guitarist, fiddle player, bassist and cellist. Third row center. Played a Collings all night (didn't notice fingerpicks). His stories were as entertaining as his tunes. Absolutely one of the best concerts I've ever attended.

I'd love to see him w/Hiatt but they're not coming anywhere close...
Old 01-30-2020, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

I have seen him many many times. Going back to when his first cd came out. Obviously I love his music but that combination of metal fingerpicks and the pickup ( sunrise?) that he uses sometimes sounds a little harsh to me.

None the less, I enjoy his work immensely.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:52 PM

Any recommendations on which one of his albums to start with?
Thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN