The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-27-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
I don't see much evidence that people actually read through the threads before responding. But next time, in cases like this one, I'll do multiple quotes. Generally I don't find it necessary. But I don't want to detract from anyone's AGF experience in any way.

In this thread, a number of people seem to be responding only the question posed in the title -- because it sets up a straw man. To paraphrase, a guy responded by saying, "I don't care what guitar YOU play; it's a free country and stuff." But the content of the OP is that, in general, there seems to be too much emphasis on the guitar, and not enough on the player.

I've enjoyed the thread, largely because it indicates the existence of a significant minority around here who do indeed feel the player matters more than the awesomeness of the guitar itself.

I agree with you on all of this. I realized that possibly my post(s) could be misconstrued as other than I intended. My point really is that sometimes, it's hard to follow things in this forum simply because of the software implementation in use here. It's not THAT big a deal really and yeah, even in the most modern forum softwares, not reading the OP is a common thing

Yamaha FG365s (1978)
Martin 000-28
Taylor 814ce
Taylor 458e
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
Washburn Timeless Series Celtic Mandolin

Boss DR-01S Rhythm Partner
Boss RC-30 Loop Station
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Shubb capos
Bunch of boutique picks (cheap GAS cure)

Old 01-27-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
So what if you have a less exspensive guitar -theirs too much hype about what a guitar costs or what its made of. What really matter is how does it sound when you play it . Its the musician not the guitar - i think we put to much emphasis on a guitar and not on what it can do -or what can someone do with it --

It does not matter what kind or what quality the guitar is. All that matters is if it is playable for the player.

I was at a festival some time ago, I take my worse instrument to festivals so it won't matter if it gets run over. It's a Hondo that I gave major surgery just to make playable.

Now the story. I was playing in a workshop/jam a couple of attendees asked "what kind of guitar is that it sounds great". They couldn't see the headstock from where they were sitting. When I showed them the name on the headstock it was like deer in the headlights nothing else was said.

Another story. I was at a open mike when it was my turn I went up opened my case and did my thing. When I was done I put it back in the case and when I was returning to my seat. One of the other performers asked "That guitar sounded great what model Martin is it?" I replied not a Martin a bottom of the line Eastman. Again Deer in the headlights.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.

Last edited by Big Band Guitar; 01-27-2020 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:49 PM

I'm a little late to the party in replying to this but here goes. I was out around Christmas for a get together with my wife's office crew. It was in a nice restaurant and two guys were playing a nice acoustic set and doing a nice job.

One guy had a Paul Reed Smith acoustic, which I had seen photos of and heard samples on youtube but never heard live. It sounded great - he did a Paul McCartney tune and played some lead and I got a good demo of the model.

As I was sitting there, it dawned on me as a guitar geek that I am always too fixated on the headstock and not on what is coming out of the soundhole. As in, when I see guys playing out, the first thing I do is see what they are playing, not as interested in the music so much. Then I realized how nuts that is.

End of rant
Old 01-27-2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
I've enjoyed the thread, largely because it indicates the existence of a significant minority around here who do indeed feel the player matters more than the awesomeness of the guitar itself.
Who is saying the player DOESN'T matter?
Old 01-28-2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Who is saying the player DOESN'T matter?
Player over guitar, I say. I agree with Tommy Emmanuel and the OP.

Have a look, while you’re at it, at the threads listed on the front page. Where is the emphasis? On playing guitar? Nope. Nothing wrong with that. It’s the Acoustic Guitar Forum. Guitars rule.

OP makes a good point, though. It’s easy to get lost in tone woods, neck widths and model names.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Player over guitar, I say. I agree with Tommy Emmanuel and the OP.

Have a look, while you’re at it, at the threads listed on the front page. Where is the emphasis? On playing guitar? Nope. Nothing wrong with that. It’s the Acoustic Guitar Forum. Guitars rule.

OP makes a good point, though. It’s easy to get lost in tone woods, neck widths and model names.
This is the general guitar discussion subforum. How many clips have you posted in Show and Tell?
Old 01-28-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
This is the general guitar discussion subforum. How many clips have you posted in Show and Tell?
What does posting music have to do with the OP topic?
Old 01-28-2020, 04:22 PM

Default Yes and No

As far as electrics go I can tell the difference between a luthier built custom one off versus a Squier Tele. It doesn't diminish the value of the less expensive factory built guitar in the eyes of an audience but to play something so well designed and crafted makes all the difference to the player. That being said, I love to see pictures of Prince playing his Hohner Tele copy.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:19 PM

Quote:
What does posting music have to do with the OP topic?
You're angry about nobody posting clips or discussing playing guitar, yet you have not posted clips AND you ignore that there's an entire subforum about posting clips.

Again, where are there people posting that the player DOESN'T matter? If you identify with Tommy E, perhaps post a clip to show us guitar worshipers how it's done.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcertSize View Post
That being said, I love to see pictures of Prince playing his Hohner Tele copy.

Is that what that is? Dang!
Old 01-29-2020, 11:20 AM

Smile

Quote:
You're angry about nobody posting clips or discussing playing guitar, yet you have not posted clips AND you ignore that there's an entire subforum about posting clips.

Again, where are there people posting that the player DOESN'T matter? If you identify with Tommy E, perhaps post a clip to show us guitar worshipers how it's done.
A posted a Tommy clip early in the thread. :0)

Not sure where you’re getting that I’m «*angry.*»

Good stuff! And yes there are always a couple people in the subforum. But we know where the attention is.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:05 PM

I just enjoy breaking away from my daily grind to listen and learn about other's opinions regarding what they like to play and why. Encourages me to grab mine and play a bit...
Old 04-12-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
I also love the differences between the Martin and Taylor. Different tones,size,feel etc.
This one gets a...........+1
2013 Yamaha FG720S-12 (Sitka/mahogany)
Old 04-12-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
So what if you have a less exspensive guitar -theirs too much hype about what a guitar costs or what its made of. What really matter is how does it sound when you play it . Its the musician not the guitar - i think we put to much emphasis on a guitar and not on what it can do -or what can someone do with it --

I think the premise for this thread is too oversimplified.

It’s about what someone has to spend, and/or can spend, to contribute meaningfully to their inspiration to play. Cost is only a relationship to a varying amount of different factors that individuals consider when trying to satisfy their wants and needs in a guitar purchase. People like what they like for a whole host of reasons, and it is not just about cost and the wood types that they are made of. It can be very nuanced and complicated.

For some it will be not a lot of money, and for others it will be more. People can only spend what they can spend. What they are willing to, or can, spend will push against the likes/wants...To state the obvious...These 2 things will intersect for all of us and determine how we individually roll “guitar wise”...

I am in the crowd that believes, at least for my sensibilities, that the return and inspiration tapers off steeply after 3k US. For others, they feel they need or want to spend 8k or more on that Lowden to get the same level of satisfaction and factors they want/need. For others that will be a different line again.

It’s all good. You will never see me judging peoples’ choices. We all have our reasons, desires, and thought processes balanced against our bank accounts.

I quite enjoy the differences around here that I see in the stable choices that people make. If we were all the same this place would be so boring.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 04-12-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
.....I've enjoyed the thread, largely because it indicates the existence of a significant minority around here who do indeed feel the player matters more than the awesomeness of the guitar itself.
I posted on the first page and generally read all posts prior to my posts. In this case, over the time this thread has been open, I've also read the subsequent posts and have completely missed any insinuation that a significant majority herein feel the guitar matters more than the player. In fact, the first thing I tell anyone is have one guitar and learn to play it (and guitar in general) before going out seeking the mythological grail that will make you play better. It doesn't exist. A guitar only puts out what you put into it. It's always a majority technique and minority equipment. That said, there's nothing wrong in wanting the best equipment you can buy to play on/with.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion