The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-06-2019, 04:23 AM

Default Zoom H5 vs RME

Hi, I have a RME Fireface lying around that frankly I’m too lazy to set up. Also I no longer have the luxury of space in my house, and my studio monitors are spoilt.
Wondering if something like the zoom h5 compares, sound quality wise for acoustic guitar recordings (fingerstyle). I’ll be using external condenser mics. Heard that the zoom h5 preamps are significantly improved above the h2 era.
Another benefit I was thinking for using the H5 would be it is more minimal of a setup.

Thanks!

Last edited by lppier; 10-06-2019 at 04:32 AM.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:09 AM
Charter Member

If you have a decent sounding room you can get a good recording with the zoom but I would think the RME has better converters. It all depends on what your expectations are for a final product.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 10-06-2019, 11:57 AM

For me, the Zoom H series are quite good for minimal setup live work, but I wouldn't use them for an actual release - only for demo work.

For casual use, you might not be able to tell the difference. But owning both (H2 and RME FireFace UFX) I use the RME 95% of the time.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 10-07-2019, 08:13 AM

How about the zoom f4? Anyone uses these for recording acoustic guitars?
Old 10-07-2019, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lppier View Post
I've used my F8 a few times at home when I was not in my little "music room." I didn't use the same mics mics - just a couple SDCs (1 on each guitar) but thought it would be fine if you just spend the usual time setting up. (In my Home Recording YouTube playlist the videos where I used the F8n are The Cape, All So Much Like Me, These Days, & Columbus Stockade Blues, i.e., if you want to hear the F8n recording acoustic guitars.)

Those preamps are quite good (same as F4 AFAIK) and IMO it's going to come down to performance+mic+room. (I use my F8/F8n all the time when recording other folks at venues, but it's almost always plugged in guitars in those cases.)

Last edited by keith.rogers; 10-07-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

I've not directly compared the Zoom with an RME, but I did a shootout a while back of the H6 (same electronics as the H5, I believe) and and several different signal chains, so that may give you some idea of how much difference there could potentially be. The Appogee Ensemble is probably most like an Fireface of the ones I demoed. (I used to have a Fireface). The thread is here:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=526149

I think there's some challenges in doing comparisons. It's nice to compare, but in the end, if you're recording some music, your listeners won't be comparing, they'll just hear if it sounds good or not, and there are so many other factors that contribute to the final result that the preamp probably gets lost in the details. For example, I do virtually all my you tube videos with the H6, like the following video. Without any comparison, you just have to ask if it sounds good or not. Maybe it'd sound better, worse, or just different with a different preamp, but we'll never know :-)

H6 Recording (with an AT 4050ST external mic):

Old 10-08-2019, 06:08 AM

Doug that sounds simply wonderful, the recorder was the last thing on my mind. In my mind, the order was playing, tuning , guitar, mic then recorder lol

Is that a stereo mic? How does it go into the h6?
Old 10-08-2019, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

I used my H6 for 5 or 6 years before moving to the F8. Never had any complaints on those recordings either!

Today, I would not buy an F4 probably because it needs updated. With Zoom (and most manufacturers), you'll get more/longer support for the top models, because that's almost always the one that sells in far more volume. H6, while quite "long in the tooth" is still the top of their handheld recorder series I think - overdue for a replacement. I suspect the H5n sales surpassed it because for most users it's got more than enough features. (I actually used the plugin mic capsule on my H6 probably once - always used their XLR extension capsule for 6ch input capability.)
Old 10-08-2019, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi lppier

Check out the F6 (latest addition to the lineup).

'Youtube Curtis Judd Zoom H6' would be a good search string…

The F6 is innovative, and to recording what RAW is to camera technology. More headroom, and ability to boost signals noiselessly.

That said, either the Zoom H5 or H6 produce great recordings with high quality mics. Even the old fashioned, out-of-date H4N makes great recordings with great mics (we use one for audio-for-video capture on location all the time).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-08-2019, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi lppier

Check out the F6 (latest addition to the lineup).

'Youtube Curtis Judd Zoom H6' would be a good search string…

The F6 is innovative, and to recording what RAW is to camera technology. More headroom, and ability to boost signals noiselessly.

That said, either the Zoom H5 or H6 produce great recordings with high quality mics. Even the old fashioned, out-of-date H4N makes great recordings with great mics (we use one for audio-for-video capture on location all the time).
The RAW metaphor is not quite right, because so long as you're not recording to MP3, any modern digital recorder is non-lossy. I'd say it's more like getting a 1.0 lens on your point & shoot (that won't over-expose when pointed at the stage spots), but, really audio <> video in almost any sense...

But, the F6 does have better headroom due to floating point, though that value is lost unless your DAW imports and retains 32-bit float audio files, i.e., it doesn't convert to 24-bit. I record live quite a bit, and 24-bit depth gives you more than enough headroom in any case I've ever encountered. (I suppose there are drummers out there that will test that, but I don't let my ears near that kind of stuff anymore ) Audibly, I doubt it has much added value for home recording, because you don't have the crazy dynamics of location video, where *anything* can happen and it needs to be captured without clipping. And, you can still overdrive the preamps if you set your gain wrong! Anyway, it's an expensive piece of gear for 6 track home recording, but I suspect that technology will move up into the next generation of F series, anyway. (Until Logic Pro X moves to 32-bit native, I'm not interested...)

Last edited by keith.rogers; 10-08-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
The RAW metaphor is not quite right
Hi keith

It's a clever use of the technology and as a remote recorder (I'm thinking video remote) it's a great first step in a new direction for a quick moving atmosphere where simple mistakes can be expensive (for reshooting), and limited personnel (where the sound guy has to do other functions as well).

You are right, it's expensive, but when we are comparing Zoom H6 versus any of the F series Zooms, it's likely warranted expense.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-08-2019, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is that a stereo mic? How does it go into the h6?
Yes, stereo, XY. The mic cable splits out into 2 XLRs, so it's just like plugging in 2 mics.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:04 PM

I've done some comparisons of the H6 to an RME UFX if that's helpful: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/index.php?s=h6+rme

Most of these posts include .WAV samples to download and evaluate.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 10-08-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Yes, stereo, XY. The mic cable splits out into 2 XLRs, so it's just like plugging in 2 mics.

How about the guitar? Is it one of your personal ones ? The tone is stellar.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
I've done some comparisons of the H6 to an RME UFX if that's helpful: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/index.php?s=h6+rme

Most of these posts include .WAV samples to download and evaluate.

Fran

Thanks Fran, this is useful! Will check it out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD