The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-28-2019, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Default Why the reoccurring issue with County of Origin

I am a late learner as I only started 2+ years ago. In that time I have owned 3 Martins (000-18, 000-15SM and GPRS1), 3 Taylors (514ce, 516 Fall LTD and GS mini), 1 Rainsong, 1 McPherson Touring, 1 CA Cargo, 5 Eastmans (E8D, E10 00ss/v, E40OM, E10OM-TC and E10D-TC) and 1 Cort Parlor. I have bought most of them used and flipped them because I preferred something different or had issues with the neck/nut and in one case went with something less expensive. I currently have the last three Eastmans and the CA Cargo. The reasons they remain - I like the way they sound. I like they way they play. I can afford them. The interesting thing is the COO never played a factor in deciding what came or what went. I think that it is amazing that you can find stellar guitars from Ireland, Great Britain, Czech Republic, Canada, USA, Japan, Korea, China, Australia etc etc. You can just as easily find dogs from each of those countries.

Maybe I am lucky in that I didn't grow up playing guitars and wasn't influenced that "It has to be an X" or "Only a Y is good enough". I am enjoying the variety regardless of the COO. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:11 PM

I thought we already settled this in past threads, some are good and some are not but none come up to the standard brands, IMO.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:12 PM

I should have added that there are bad brands and luthiers in the US but the best in the US are the best.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:51 PM

All I know it's I have a Chinese built Yamaha LL16 that costs just under a grand and the quality is phenomenal.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Not sure what one has to do with the other. Two different countries and cultures entirely.

There are people who cannot tell a 1955 Chateau Petrus Pomerol from a bottle of cheap chianti.
There are people who cannot tell an original Van Gogh from an art student's copy.
There are people who cannot tell a Steinway grand from a bar room upright.
One can live a very happy life not knowing the difference; however, there is no fault in being able to discern between finer things and their lesser copies. It takes time to gain an expert's appreciation for anything ...guitars included. The shot you're taking at those who have gained that expertise and appreciation is ill-informed.

As one who can tell (and appreciate) the difference between a Petrus and a cheap Bordeaux (let alone a Chianti), I didn't take his comment negatively. You and I both know that many buyers of Petrus cannot tell the difference and thus are simply buying on name/status. I think he was taking a shot at those folks, not the true aficionados.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

There was an interesting thread posted recently on Chinese guitar building.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=552390
Old 07-28-2019, 07:20 PM

Default 15 y.o.

The son in question is fifteen years of age.

Let him try a well made, properly set up entry level guitar, and if he's still practicing daily a year later, you can upgrade.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
I thought we already settled this in past threads, some are good and some are not but none come up to the standard brands, IMO.
I don't know that we settled that "none come up to the standard brands" in past threads.
In fact, I don't remember it being that way at all, IMO.
I do remember stating that I would put my Eastman E10 00 SS up against any domestically-built "Standard" model in quality including my D18 and my J45.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 07-28-2019 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:36 PM

I'll second this. Not to knock the "big 3" but there are a great deal of excellent guitars being produced all around the world. Quite a number of them can compete in terms of quality, fit, finish and tone.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 07-28-2019, 08:04 PM

Not to sound like a broken record, but... go Yamaha.

I played a bunch of acoustics (15+) recently at a local GC, all at different price ranges. My favorite was a 300-dollar Yamaha FG830. The only guitar that was demonstrably "better" in feel and tone was a $3K Gibson J-45. YMMV, but I was extremely impressed.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:05 PM

Most 15 y/o boys are not going to appreciate the nuances in sound of a fine constructed guitar the way someone playing decades will. Go for easy playability, low action, and bright tone. Check out Yamaha's.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Eastman are really making very fine guitars that seriously challenge the likes of Gibson and Martin.
Agree. If I were ranking mainstream makers today, it would be Martin, Taylor then Eastman. Gibson, IMHO, is missing in action.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:51 PM

The quality of the Sigmas do vary from one guitar to the next. But they’re awesome guitars for the money, and you can find some real gems. No a laminate back and sides Sigma will not have the dynamic range or complexity of a solid Martin.

I got a Sigma 000R-28V last year. Had to buy two (both from outside the US) to get a really good one (sold the other). But it’s fabulous. Guitar is beautiful, sounds great, plays great, and has so much character. Love it. Cured my GAS for a real Martin 000-28.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifdawg View Post
Not to sound like a broken record, but... go Yamaha.

I played a bunch of acoustics (15+) recently at a local GC, all at different price ranges. My favorite was a 300-dollar Yamaha FG830. The only guitar that was demonstrably "better" in feel and tone was a $3K Gibson J-45. YMMV, but I was extremely impressed.
I continue to be amazed at what entry-level Yamaha guitars sound like. Their performance to price ratio is the best one can get at that price point, IMO.

'77 Gurian J-R C series
'82 Alvarez-Yairi DY-53 "Silver Harp"
Ibanez AG-95 DBS
70s Ibanez 511
Old 07-29-2019, 07:18 AM

Thanks Guy's...

I am going to go an try get a go of a Yami today... everyone seams to be in agreement about the price/perf ratio... ;-)

Cheers,
Jay

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion