The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-07-2019, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

''So Ed is kinda "it" for the moment, which since he plays a 3/4 size $700 wee Lowden is not helping the guitar industry gain much ground in the "Top-O-The Charts" pop music world''

Make that a 3/4 size, over $4000 Lowden Wee!

The Sheeran by Lowden will sell for around $700. We'll have to wait to hear how they sound, but I didn't care for the Lowden Wee when I tried it.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
''So Ed is kinda "it" for the moment, which since he plays a 3/4 size $700 wee Lowden is not helping the guitar industry gain much ground in the "Top-O-The Charts" pop music world''

The Sheeran by Lowden will sell for around $700. We'll have to wait to hear how they sound, but I didn't care for the Lowden Wee when I tried it.
I'm guessing it will sound fine when plugged in, like the Wee
Old 08-07-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:

Well...Ed "massages" his guitar sound a ton, so I expect that the Sheeran model will sound just fine running through front of house. I am sure that if he starts using one of his Sheeran models on tour that he will sound just as good with it as with the Wee.

I am surprised that Lowden has not tried hard...from what I can see...to market an Ed Sheeran Signautre Model Wee Lowden. Strike while the iron is hot Lowden...

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 08-07-2019, 09:57 AM

Just watering down the Lowden name in my opinion.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:

I played a Wee Lowden a couple of years ago and it had a nice, full, beefy tone but the neck was ridiculously heavy so it felt very unbalanced to play. I imagine that the Sheeran Wee will be a different beast.

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-07-2019, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parlorpower82 View Post
Just watering down the Lowden name in my opinion.
Did the Baby Taylor ‘water down’ the Taylor name? Or did the Little Martin ‘water down’ the Martin brand? Has the Waterloo range ‘watered down’ the Collings name?

One man’s ‘watering-down the name’ is another man’s ‘diversification in order to grow and sustain the business long-term’.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 08-07-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Did the Baby Taylor ‘water down’ the Taylor name? Or did the Little Martin ‘water down’ the Martin brand? Has the Waterloo range ‘watered down’ the Collings name?

One man’s ‘watering-down the name’ is another man’s ‘diversification in order to grow and sustain the business long-term’.

Good point!
Old 08-07-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:

I'm just wondering how much mass-production and cheaper woods will affect the sound of the Lowden design. For once, this can't be written off to "China", we'll be able to see how much difference "made by hand" means to the sound
Old 08-07-2019, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Do the Road Series and X series affect the Standard Series?

If the Sheeran's are as close as those are, I think Lowden fans will be very happy with them. And when they offer a bigger Sheeran, I'll be lining up to try one out.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:

Add Huss and Daltons road series to it as well. Breedlove has as well. You’re right, it’s good for companies to grow. But I also think it sullies a name brand.

It’d be liken to Tiffany selling a lower end line in Walmart or target. Total money grab riding on the coattails of a mega brand.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgottsman11 View Post
I personally will never buy a guitar that is a artists model. Especially one that says Sheeran at the top. Nothing feels special about it to me.

You mean OTHER than a Gibson ‘Les Paul’....

Haha just messing about
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 08-07-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
I'd say yes/yes/no.

I played the Sheerans at winter NAMM, and I found nothing about them that would suggest they'd be a "gateway" to a Lowden.

Couch Standards
Old 08-07-2019, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I played the Sheerans at winter NAMM, and I found nothing about them that would suggest they'd be a "gateway" to a Lowden.
I don’t really believe that is the purpose of the Sheeran range - I’ve not seen anything from George and/or Ed to suggest it.

My take on the Sheeran guitars is that they are the product of a business venture between a well-known builder and a very well-known player/singer/writer who are friends, aimed at a particular section of the guitar-playing public with specific musical interests, and who aren’t the typical high-end guitar-buyers. In other words, to take advantage of a perceived gap in the market.

And I think that anyone who plans to buy one, thinking they’ll get a Lowden for a quarter of the price of a ‘real’ Lowden, is delusional. They are not Lowdens, they are ‘Sheerans by Lowden’ - not by any means the same thing!

But I could very easily be wrong on all counts - time will tell, I guess.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 08-07-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parlorpower82 View Post
Add Huss and Daltons road series to it as well. Breedlove has as well. You’re right, it’s good for companies to grow. But I also think it sullies a name brand.

It’d be liken to Tiffany selling a lower end line in Walmart or target. Total money grab riding on the coattails of a mega brand.
No, it would be like Tiffany offering less-expensive jewelry that caters to a specific demographic, which they do.

Edit: It’s actually more like Sonos working with IKEA on a line of speakers in order to broaden their reach and expand customer base. Either way, it’s really not a big deal.

Last edited by ataylor; 08-07-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
I don't know why anyone would want a guitar endorsed by Ed Sheeran - okay, he's mega-successful and I don't have a problem with that, but it's not like he's a great guitar player. Maybe Millennials will buy them, but of that generation I'd say Jake Bugg was something more to aspire to - both as a songwriter and definitely as a guitarist.

I guess I'm just a grumpy old fart that's behind the times... looking forward to the Taylor 'Swift' range, it'll be a sell-out.
Using your logic I could rightfully say, “who would want to buy a guitar endorsed by Paul Simon?” Or Jackson Browne? Or Jimmy Buffet? Or Steve Miller? Or Joni Mitchell? Or John Denver? Or Dan Fogelberg? Or...? —-none are guitar gods but all were iconic singer/songwriters of their time just like Ed is now. You may not like his music (it’s a new era) but please give the man his due and some well-earned respect. He may not captivate the few of you here but he fills (and entertains) arenas by himself and his music touches millions around the world. What have you done lately?

Also, his guitar playing shouldn’t be underestimated either (just like those I mentioned above). Not sure where the Sheeran bashing in the forum comes from, jealousy I guess.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion