The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2019, 08:24 AM

Default Out of sight, out of mind...

Well, the acoustics have all gone in their cases and put in the closet to be humidified for the winter. Living in SC, I can usually go until January before my house is constantly under 40% RH. Once I notice that the RH doesn't get out of the 30% range, they get put away.

With that, comes zero play time for me. When guitars are out on their stands, I play just about everyday, even if for just a few minutes. However, once in the packed closet, they are out of sight, out of mind.

So, what to do with this break? Do I give some of my other hobbies some attention? Do I pull out the camera and snap some outdoor shots, fly the drone, or go shooting? I will probably do a lot of that over the coming months. I think I'll put one of my electrics out on a stand so I can at least grab a guitar and play....or not.

What about you? Does this happen to anyone else?
Old 01-16-2019, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Don't know where you live in SC but here on the coast it's business as usual. Currently 49%RH in the room with my guitars...gotta play everyday?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-16-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Don't know where you live in SC but here on the coast it's business as usual. Currently 49%RH in the room with my guitars...gotta play everyday?
I'm just south of Charlotte across the NC/SC line. My house is currently at 35% RH because I'm running the heat to warm the women folk! Honestly, I have so many hobbies that I don't mind the break from guitar so much. These days, I swear my hobby seems to be spending money on gear vs playing!
Old 01-16-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Well, the acoustics have all gone in their cases and put in the closet to be humidified for the winter. Living in SC, I can usually go until January before my house is constantly under 40% RH. Once I notice that the RH doesn't get out of the 30% range, they get put away.

With that, comes zero play time for me. When guitars are out on their stands, I play just about everyday, even if for just a few minutes. However, once in the packed closet, they are out of sight, out of mind.

So, what to do with this break? Do I give some of my other hobbies some attention? Do I pull out the camera and snap some outdoor shots, fly the drone, or go shooting? I will probably do a lot of that over the coming months. I think I'll put one of my electrics out on a stand so I can at least grab a guitar and play....or not.

What about you? Does this happen to anyone else?
I can’t relate at all to your situation. Playing guitar is never out of my mind for long.
I live in TN, not geographically far removed from SC and can’t imagine 30% humidity. We also keep our house cool in the winter and don’t have our heat up so high it dries us or my guitars out. The humidity in our home stays between 45-55% year round.
Your “or not” comment regarding putting out the electric seems to reveal low motivation to play your guitars. Not to worry though, they’ll be safe in their cases until spring.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-16-2019, 08:40 AM

Well I understand protecting your investments but at the end of the day guitars are meant to be played.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:42 AM

Get a humidifier. Up here in Montreal it's been -15 most of the last few days, so needless to say the heating is ON. With my humidifier in my living room, my humidity is at a stable 50%. Guitars are out and ready for action.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:45 AM

Have you thought about buying a humidifier for the room where you keep your guitars? Single room humidifiers can be had for fairly cheap on Amazon and they require little maintenance. That's what I do in the winter and it works extremely well. In fact, it's much more convenient than trying to keep up with in case and/or soundhole humidifiers, especially if you have multiple guitars.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvolfan View Post
Well I understand protecting your investments but at the end of the day guitars are meant to be played.
Really. Do all guitarists in SC hibernate?
Old 01-16-2019, 08:47 AM

Hmmm....laminates have their strong points....hmmmm.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
I can’t relate at all to your situation. Playing guitar is never out of my mind for long.
I live in TN, not geographically far removed from SC and can’t imagine 30% humidity. We also keep our house cool in the winter and don’t have our heat up so high it dries us or my guitars out. The humidity in our home stays between 45-55% year round.
Your “or not” comment regarding putting out the electric seems to reveal low motivation to play your guitars. Not to worry though, they’ll be safe in their cases until spring.
I live in Tennessee too, (East) and my humidity is about the same and I have had an all wood Taylor 214 for 13 years mostly on a stand and not in the case and never once humidified it and there are no cracks to be seen. I do however humidify my 714 but that is because I paid so much for it and after reading the horror stories of cracked guitars has me scared but honestly, I bet if I never humidified it then it would still be fine. But you can bet it gets played year round!
Old 01-16-2019, 08:48 AM

Maybe it's just me...actually, I'm pretty certain it's just me...but I would not spend great sums just to own something that is so fragile and and temperamental that I could only enjoy it 2/3rds or 3/4ths of the year. Or, for that matter, so fussy that I had to worry much about the effects of humidity or topography, etc., that it was a chore just to see after its care to the level I had to alter my environment. As much as I love very nice guitars, that's not something I'm willing to put up with...it's not enjoyable to me.

What about a carbon fiber guitar or some nice laminate that you can play year round and not worry about?

- John Shedd
Old 01-16-2019, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post
Really. Do all guitarists in SC hibernate?
NO....not at all!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-16-2019, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

I am surprised I have never thought of this question before or seen any commentary on the Forum, but I wonder if guitar players in, let's say, 1915 era, if they took precautions against humidity. I wonder if they even knew it could be an issue or if they just set it up against a wall at home and picked it up and played it. Does anyone have knowledge of how guitars were treated in the "good ol' days"?
Old 01-16-2019, 08:53 AM

I have to keep my guitars cased with humidifiers *all* the time, I live in far west Texas. A simple *flip* of all case latches allows me to remove the guitars and play.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
With that, comes zero play time for me.
That's awful! I just discovered that the climate here in the Wild West "is generally subhumid, not semi-arid as often claimed." Whatever. All I know is the humidity can get pretty low.

I keep my guitars in their cases all the time. The cases have damp sponges inside baggies to keep the humidity up, and each case has a cheap-o hygrometer. No crazing or top cracks so far!

I've just gotten used to opening a case and removing the guitar (then closing the case - there's moisture in there!) Gotta play a guitar daily! Not for any real long time, but still. You ought to try it!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion