The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-17-2018, 08:24 AM

Default NGD!

Another NGD post, but maybe a bit different than others. I replied to an ad posted by a long-time AGF forum member, Mbroady for a Furch D33 LR guitar last week. I owned a Stonebridge G 23 CR cutaway a few years ago, and ended up selling it to my guitar teacher then. I've missed that guitar ever since selling it, but because my ability to play is minimal, and the guitar was such a great playing instrument, I felt it better to let it go to someone who could get the best out of it.
A few guitars, and a few years later, and I've been diagnosed with Agent Orange caused Multiple Myeloma from Vietnam, and my philosophy toward many things has changed abruptly.
I'm slated for a bone marrow transplant in a few weeks, and have decided that since life is short, I owed it to myself to have a quality guitar to play once again. I'm using it as not only a reward, but also as an incentive to get back to playing as soon after my procedure as is possible, and I'm taking it into the hospital when I'm admitted.
Typically a long winded post...sorry about that! Anyway, the guitar is amazing and Matthew was great to work with. He went above and beyond to get me the guitar in three days from one coast to the other, so that I could play for some time before being hospitalized.
If you haven't picked up a Furch/Stonebridge instrument, you owe it to yourself to do so. Many of you wouldn't think of buying anything but a Martin, Gibson, Taylor, or other USA made guitar, but to my ears and eyes, Furch is on par with any of those, and is as good or better quality for less money. The only downside I see is perhaps a lesser value when trying to sell, but since that won't happen, it's not an issue with me. I know my NGD didn't happen without pictures, and since I'm awful at trying to post pics, I'll refer you to Mbroady's ad in AGF classified under Furch D 33LR for sale to see pics. I'm going to play again now, so i'm signing off as a happy Furch owner! Thanks again Matthew!

Last edited by Steve97365; 05-17-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:07 AM

I’m sorry the circumstances are tough for you at this point but at least you have your dream guitar now. Life is never perfect, we always have to make the best of it. I wish you a speedy recovery as you practice on your well deserved instrument.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:21 AM

Thanks Jaden. I believe that a positive attitude and a good guitar to play are helping me in this journey. So far from chemo, to stem cell collection, to major side effects, things are pretty manageable. I appreciate the thoughts.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:29 AM

Congratulations on the NGD! Wishing you a speedy recovery and joy in your acquisition!

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 05-17-2018, 10:31 AM

Hey Steve, I wish you all the best with your treatment - hopefully you will have many, many great years with that fine instrument. Thanks for sharing your journey.

I had the luck of testing a Stonebridge last week and had a thread on here about it. They are amazing guitars. Congrats on getting it back, play it like you stole it!!!!
Old 05-17-2018, 10:42 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Congrats on the Furch. I'm currently having major gas for the G-23 CR, but I could go walnut.

Good luck with your health issues Steve.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-17-2018, 12:50 PM

Congrats on a fine guitar, Steve, and best wishes for good health.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:03 PM

Thanks all. Playing helps to pass the time and lift my spirits. I'm not a very good player yet, after taking up the guitar after I retired. It seems like one step forward and two steps back, but since I have no illusions of stardom or pushing Clapton or Emmanuel aside, I'm having fun with no pressure guitar wise, and playing helps me to put my illness on the back burner, if only for a short period.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:33 PM

Enjoy that new guitar!
Old 05-17-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97365 View Post
Thanks Jaden. I believe that a positive attitude and a good guitar to play are helping me in this journey. So far from chemo, to stem cell collection, to major side effects, things are pretty manageable. I appreciate the thoughts.
I have a couple friends with MM - one diagnosed 8 years ago today. There have been major strides made in treatment, so hang in there!
Taylor 356ce
Taylor 514ce
Taylor Baby-M
Eastman E40-OM

Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster
Fender Baja Telecaster
Fender MIJ Telecaster Custom
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute Bluesboy Semi-Hollow
Rickenbacker 620/12
Gretsch 6120
Godin Multiac Nylon Duet Ambience
Old 05-17-2018, 04:41 PM

Yes, MM is a treatable cancer, and with the stem cell transplant, I should have sometime in a sort of remission. A cure is not far away!
Old 05-17-2018, 05:00 PM

Best thoughts for you during your procedure and hospitalization. I hope they can make things as comfy as possible and the outcome is successful so that you can have many years of guitar playing enjoyment. Love your attitude!
Old 05-17-2018, 08:34 PM

Your story hits really close to home. I wish you the best with your health. I really admired that one in the classifieds and it sounds like it found the right home. Enjoy it for many healthy years to come. Prayers from a stranger for you.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:59 PM

Congrats on the NGD and enjoy it for years to come, best wishes all goes well with your procedure.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I believe that a positive attitude and a good guitar to play are helping me in this journey
Steve, your positivity was apparent in our conversations and emails. It was inspirational!!!

Quote:
Another NGD post, ……………..
………If you haven't picked up a Furch/Stonebridge instrument, you owe it to yourself to do so. I know my NGD didn't happen without pictures, and since I'm awful at trying to post pics, I'll refer you to Mbroady's ad in AGF classified under Furch D 33LR for sale to see pics.* I'm going to play again now, so i'm signing off as a happy Furch owner!* Thanks again Matthew!
I have sold some killer guitars in my time but I think this was the most enjoyment and fulfillment I had selling a great guitar…win win.

FYI : I contacted a Moderator after the sale In order to remove the post

so to confirm that it did happen here are some (average at best) pics I used for the post.
And as you can tell from my signature, I agree with your sentiment about Furch guitars.

Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion