The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-29-2018, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburg325 View Post
Rudy's Music in NY currently has both an O23 and O25, so I'm gonna check 'em out. Thanks for the reco!
Let us know how it goes! My very first introduction to a quality guitar was a Lowden at a music store in Nashville TN 20+ years ago. There was a giant poster of Ricky Skaggs, of all people, endorsing them. Every one I played was magical. I've played dozens since and it was only the last batch I played while in London that caught me off guard with their tone.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 03-29-2018, 12:10 PM

Everyone has their own preferences. I've owned F, O and S models. The S was the closest to ideal for me. The true Goldilocks guitar with a perfect balance of treble and bass. I had an Adi/BRW version that was a beautiful instrument. Why did I sell it? Because I can't help myself.

Cincy
Old 03-30-2018, 12:53 PM

With the various models, I think there is a fair amount of variety in their sound. Just the 35 / 50 line comes in so many combinations and permutations that it is hard to pigeon-hole them. There's is certainly a broad, general 'Lowden sound', but not a specific sound, IMO.

When I was shopping for a good guitar, I played quite a few Lowdens (among other brands) and ended up with an F35 in Adi/Ancient Cuban Hog. I'd never heard a hog guitar with the depth of this one - very close to many RW guitars I'd played.

I played others, like Cedar/Blackwood, that were even warmer and darker (and in some cases, expensiver), but mine has a great combination of hog and rw tone (cutting but still warm). Perhaps it's the 125 year old wood. Perhaps the construction. Perhaps the combination of everything. I dunno, but I love it.

I don't think it replaces a good Martin but it does something no Martin I've ever heard can do. I think you just have to have both to cover all of the terrain, if that is what interests you.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Well, based on comments from this thread, I found another Lowden to check out. An O32c with sitka/EIR.

The guitar was staggeringly loud, clear, and balanced. The bass was firm, the mids focused, and the trebles absolutely crystalline. It was unlike any other guitar I'd played before. It still had a certain strident quality, but it was kind of addicting. All the other guitars I tried (including a gorgeous V-Class Taylor!) sounded muted and constrained in comparison.

So I took the plunge. Had to unload some other guitars, but so be it.

The dramatic change in tone has forced me to change how I play. And think. Both good things.

Onward.
Breedlove Ed Gerhard Exotic (Brazilian/Red Spruce)
Brad Goodman J-200 (Engelmann/Quilted Maple)
Taylor 326CE 8-string Baritone
1960s Guild M-20 (Nick Drake guitar)
Old 04-03-2018, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Now THAT is how I've experienced Lowdens! Congratulations on pushing through

Quote:
Well, based on comments from this thread, I found another Lowden to check out. An O32c with sitka/EIR.

The guitar was staggeringly loud, clear, and balanced. The bass was firm, the mids focused, and the trebles absolutely crystalline. It was unlike any other guitar I'd played before. It still had a certain strident quality, but it was kind of addicting. All the other guitars I tried (including a gorgeous V-Class Taylor!) sounded muted and constrained in comparison.

The dramatic change in tone has forced me to change how I play. And think. Both good things.

Onward.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 04-03-2018, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
Now THAT is how I've experienced Lowdens! Congratulations on pushing through
Thanks, Steve!
Old 04-03-2018, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Onward.
It's an instrument that'll force me to become better. No hiding.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:48 PM

Interesting thread. I’ve always been a huge fan of Lowdens. I had an F32-C that was just wonderful. It sounded amazing. I only got rid of it (to get something else, of course) because I had another guitar that did what it did, but slightly better.

Lowdens have always had this magical tone to me. They are just lush and full and clear. They play better than any other guitar I’ve owned.

But I have opinions on sound that most would find heretical. I can’t stand Martins. I’ve never played a Martin that has really impressed me.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:08 PM

Default Yes it will

Quote:
Lowdens can be a handful, after playing it for awhile pickup one of your other guitars for fun.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Totally agree with this. When I got mine home I was a bit gutted when I heard myself play...Takes a while to master (still not there yet!) thankfully it's such a joy to play that this crash course isn't a chore at all.

Not sure if you bought new, but I can tell you the sounds just gets better and better as the guitar settles in.
Fender 'Nashville' Telecaster
Gordon Smith GS1.5
Old 04-04-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambi View Post
That is crazy good sounding. The piece the player chose fit the haunting tone perfectly.
It really did... anyone know what that piece is? Always looking for some neat DADGAD tunage.
Fender 'Nashville' Telecaster
Gordon Smith GS1.5
Old 09-10-2019, 01:15 PM

This may be helpful. Same tune on 7 different Lowden's (not me btw, just something I found on the intertube):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnld...II2X3P&index=3
Old 09-13-2019, 03:04 PM

I had an Avalon and totally agree with the OP on his evaluation of the sound being slightly nasal, and somewhat strident - it was very much the style of this guitar. I am not sure this is how Lowden typically sound but I can relate to what he is saying - it wasn’t for me.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 02-07-2020, 06:21 PM

I’m still getting used to the sound of my Lowden. Most the time when I am playing it I really like and sometimes love the sound depending on the song. I feel it’s helping me become a better singer with the clarity and sustain of the notes and the increase in volume over my 00015m. It’s also leagues ahead in playability over the OM 21 I exchanged for it, although that had yet to be set up.

I’m not 100% content with how it sounds recorded though. I think because so much of the music I listen to is on Martin and Gibson guitars (big 60s and 70s folk fan) it feels lacking slightly, that is the sound I am used to. This could be down to mic and quality and position plus my lack of knowledge of recording. It may also be something I will just get used to.

Here’s one of my own songs on the Lowden. Let me know what you think, even if you dislike the sound.

https://clyp.it/ykb3maqw

Old 02-07-2020, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on your purchase. I've had the pleasure of owning several Irish guitars...Lowden, Avalon and McIlroy. For me they are perfect for the style of playing (fingerstyle) but also see them as potentially an acquired taste. One person's 'strident' might be the next person's 'articulate' or 'clarity'. I've found these three Irish brands to be sonically 'of a family' where the most obvious differences are the types of woods used and the body sizes. I currently favor the cedar/rosewood combination and have a Lowden and Avalon in that configuration but enjoyed my spruce-topped McIlroy too. So many great choices out there for us!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion