The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-30-2017, 12:16 PM

Default Froggy Bottom Guitars

Have you played any of them? And what is your opinion?
Old 01-30-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkpower View Post
Have you played any of them? And what is your opinion?
Extremely well made, great sounding guitars.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:23 PM

A quick Title search on 'Froggy' in this forum will yield a good many results. I will say that I have Froggy Bottom P12 that never fails to deliver. It is both loud and surprisingly versatile for such a small guitar.

Last edited by blacknblues; 01-30-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:24 PM

If you find the model that suits you, they're amazing, and you'll be willing to pay the price.

Mine was a rosewood H12. Clarity, power and richness of the tone.

But you have to try a few models to find out for yourself.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

I've played about 7 or 8 of them and I've owned 5 over the years. They are great instruments. I place them up near the top end of the spectrum for high end guitars. With brands like Goodall and McPherson. If you go up past that level you end up in a rare class of top end instruments like Ryans, Olsons, Walkers, Hendersons, Traugotts, Somogyis, Greenfields, Petros and some others. Like McPherson Froggy has really good resale value also.

For FB models I really like the SJ, D14, F12, H12, and K models the best of all that I've played. The K is my favorite.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 01-30-2017, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

I own 2 -- a K and an H12. They are the best guitars I've played. The K is absolutely amazing and is ideal for my taste. Like all guitars, there are different strokes for different folks. They are all impeccably built, but YMMV on what you like in tone.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

I have only tried two.
That was in the early 90's and both were the best most responsive instruments in the boutique guitar acoustic shop ( McCabe's / Santa Monica).
One was behind glass and it had so much tone. It was a parlor with inlays (for $4,200).
This tone seared indelibly into my heart and brain. I played it for 30 seconds and could hardly speak. This was a guitar response that I have never heard or felt, in my then, 25 years of playing.

I still would like to join the Froggy Bottom club. ( Don't we all?)
There have been some used here over the years that seemed like " no brainer" transactions for tone. I love the colored Adirondack. I love the usual 2 3/16" saddle spacing too. One of these years.... perhaps?
Old 01-30-2017, 12:46 PM

I've played a few over the years, beginning with the first year on the "market." Every one has been fantastic both tonally and in terms of quality of build, materials, and aesthetics. On top of this, it's a wonderful small company of good people revolving around a devoted, committed, skilled founder. If I had more $$$, I'd own one for sure, and experience lifelong regret at not having snapped up one of the first ones issued.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:41 PM

My Froggy L is my favorite guitar - bar none. I've never played anything like it. Beautifully balanced with ringing bass, clear trebles and a strong mid-range. Michael and team are doing something magical in Vermont.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 01-30-2017, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Default Re: FB

My favorite builder. I have four (B-12, H-12, K and SJ). Just sublime.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:47 PM

While I've never owned or gotten to play one before, I must say I'm very impressed with the build quality on the ones I've seen. And their SJ Slope design model does sound impressive on peghead's video.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:52 PM

I had a beautiful F12 for ten years, I only sold it because I wanted the cash for something else. I didn't lose any money on it either, superb instruments.
If I was ordering one I would like a slightly chunkier neck, other than that, fabulous.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:55 PM

At this point having played only a few models, I'm not as impressed with them as I thought I would be.
Since this isn't meant as a detraction from their excellent reputation, I'll chalk it up to having perhaps an unrealistic expectation and not hitting upon the right Froggy.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-30-2017, 04:10 PM

I've played a dozen or so, owned a P12 and still own an H12 and L.

They're woody and fundamental, with a dollop of overtones. They're also loud and powerful, and play above their body size.

Probably the best thing about them, which is what really makes them a good guitar; is how versatile they are. You can hand one to Scott Ainslie and it's a plonky, twangy blues machine. Hand that same guitar over to Will Ackerman and it's rich and lush with loads of sustain and overtones. Want to flat pick some bluegrass? That's covered too. They excel in whatever role they're given.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

I joined the Froggy Bottom club just moments ago! H12 Dlx is coming my way from Gryphon. Now that I have the trifecta of guitars that I've lusted after for the last few years (Collings DS, Bourgeois DS, and Froggy H) I'll never need another guitar again! (lololol right )

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneal View Post
Probably the best thing about them, which is what really makes them a good guitar; is how versatile they are. You can hand one to Scott Ainslie and it's a plonky, twangy blues machine. Hand that same guitar over to Will Ackerman and it's rich and lush with loads of sustain and overtones. Want to flat pick some bluegrass? That's covered too. They excel in whatever role they're given.
Well-put. In shopping Froggys online it never ceases to amaze me how one clip could sound rich and complex, and the next will sound like an absolute blues box. Same model, just a different player. Sometimes not even a different player, just the same guy or gal coaxing different tones out of the Froggy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion