The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-15-2016, 07:34 AM

Default NGD- Rainsong Windsong 12

When I began looking for different guitars I surprised myself by thinking about CF. I tend to be a purist, (black coffee, loves Martin sounds) and yet am highly adaptable.
I almost missed the ad, lousy picture caught my eye. In less than an hour of research the phone was in my hand and I called for more pics. I didnʻt even sleep on it, just placed the order. ʻOlderʻ is all the guy at GC knew, no matter to me - the pictures said she was mine. Whale on headstock, one manu on fretboard. Gorgeous. Stunning. Made in Kihei (my second home),

Yesterday was arrival day, best part - no acclimation needed! She is heavier than expected, bigger also, but otherwise exactly as expected visually. Tuned up she is a doozy! Sure, as stated, I read reviews - but no kidding this thig sounds like wood. Deep resonance, good sustain, and balanced to a ʻTʻ. Slippery, but really awesome. Wow, this really is beyond expectations! I am impressed! Looks like the GC return policy wonʻt be needed.

Today I hope for alleviation of weather woes, playing is on the agenda. This will ease the wait for my Emerald.

Last edited by LesRose; 03-16-2016 at 05:44 AM.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:46 AM

Share some pics of that Rainsong history!
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 03-15-2016, 08:48 AM

I remember those original Kihei-made Windsongs. The labels were signed by John Decker (the inventor / developer) and had a uni-directional CF top as I recall. Very nice, and pout the brand on my radar. But when they were in the local store in Anchorage at that time in the early 90's, I was not mentally prepared to spend that kind of money for a guitar. At $3500 new that one sat there for about four years, then finally disappeared. The store had better luck with the WS-1000 and OM-1000 that followed at around $1800 IIRC, and later the A-WS hybrid series. Last time I was in ANC that store had a brand new Smokey, and I was probably the first non-employee to play it.

My WS-1000 dates from early 2001 (serial #42xx) and was made in Hawaii too, not long before Rainsong moved to Washington state.

I remember talking to a Maui local one time at Aloha Music Camp probably around 2006. Apparently when Rainsong moved, they dumped a bunch of bodies and necks that were still in progress into the dumpster, rather than shipping them to CONUS for completion. The local car kids were all over the carbon fiber "scraps" for their racers, oblivious to what they were sawing up for body parts, braces, etc.

We look forward to your report, LesRose. Congrats on the find.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:58 AM

Yesterday offered some time with my newbies and that was great. This Rainsong is something else.

Eye candy that just sounds awesome, doesnʻt get any better.

She has a sound that runs right between my two Martinʻs, as does her set up, a true middle ground in the house. I have decided to keep her in open C (open sea) and just float.

Yes I need pictures, will post some but now I will try to post a couple that were sent to me. Her headstock is yummy, I love the Whale. For me it is a bit personal no way to ignore it.

Oh- music camp. We have done some workshops and did music camp about three summers back. ROTFL, I can only imagine a buncf kids with their thinking caps pn, what to do with this or this. Lousy they got dumped.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:57 AM

For those wanting photos, all I can say is ʻsorryʻ. No can do.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesRose View Post
Pictures of a story? No.
Pictures of the guitar? Absolutely! 📷📸
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 03-17-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Is it this one?

Old 03-17-2016, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the NRD (New Rainsong Day)!

Just finished playing mine. Great guitars. Enjoy!
Old 03-17-2016, 03:23 PM

Applause - way to go Ted!
Now you can see why the photo had me very curious, nothing else I saw online was like that. She does have a definite shimmer, tilt her just so and sheʻs that watery moonlight shade of graphite that you see. The pics I was sent made my jaw drop.
Not black, but darker in person. A serious piece of visual presence that does not hold back when asked to sing.

The headstock has moon w/clouds and whale. How the watery effect on the headstock was achieved is beyond me - but itʻs splendid.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:48 PM

That is one of the nicest 12ers that I've ever seen! Is that a unidirectional top I see?
Old 03-17-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Applause - way to go Ted!
Now you can see why the photo had me very curious, nothing else I saw online was like that. She does have a definite shimmer, tilt her just so and sheʻs that watery moonlight shade of graphite that you see. The pics I was sent made my jaw drop.
Not black, but darker in person. A serious piece of visual presence that does not hold back when asked to sing.

The headstock has moon w/clouds and whale. How the watery effect on the headstock was achieved is beyond me - but itʻs splendid.
Yes, that photo did not do the guitar justice. You scored a nice find, love the older headstock inlays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
That is one of the nicest 12ers that I've ever seen! Is that a unidirectional top I see?
Yes, unidirectional top.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:29 AM

I let her go, beauty - sound, but could not get mojo going. Simply no bond there, but my bottom line is I have to ʻloveʻ it - on all levels. Somebody will love that guitar and it should be loved.

The find did lead me into the world of CF and at the moment I can only assume that it was meant to be.
However it bugs me that GC is using the same crappy photo to sell it.

It was a tough choice but my Emerald x-20 12 arrived and all is well with the world.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:48 AM

Sorry to hear that you did not bond.

Sorrier still to hear that you did not give us CF fans here a chance first. RS 12 strings are hard to come by, and you would likely have done much better $$$ selling it than simply turning it or trading it back it in.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:53 PM

You know what Earl, I guess somebody would bring that up but frankly there are times when it is necessary to do what works best for the all around picture.

I could have just kept my mouth shut and said nothing - now AGF members can easily order it from GC and I can continue my travels/life. I could have kept it, or could have made a tidy sum.

Absolutely unable to do as you suggested, but thanks for the hand slap - it was not necessary, but I do hope you feel better.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:31 AM

LesRose, my comment was not intended as a "hand slap" or negative in any way. -- please don't take it that way. As always, you have to do what is right for you and your situation. I would never want it to be otherwise for anyone.

Given the level of interest in your posts about this early Windsong, it is nice that you have let us know where it is, so a fan could order it. Thank you for that. And please accept my apologies if my previous post came across the wrong way. Good luck in your quest.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber