The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-24-2015, 07:00 PM

Default Eastman E20P vs Martin 00-28vs

I finally had time to do a comparison and post it. I know I was looking for this kinda thing when I was shopping. I know it's not quite apples and apples, because the Eastman is based on the 0-28 and not the 00-28.

Comparing the Eastman E20P with a Martin 00-28vs. Do you really need to buy a Martin for Martin quality? Although the Eastman will never be a Martin, the E20P comes very close to the quality offered by Martin. The differences are in the cost of material, such as 3-piece mahogany neck vs 1-piece, nickel plated Waverly tuners vs chrome plated - yet still good - knockoffs, and some very minor setup refinements that still need to be done to the Eastman - notably the poor nut cut and some minor fret buzz. The only reason why I'm so picky about the details on the Eastman is because I can compare it side by side with the Martin, which has zero flaws.

I bought the Eastman to see if it could replace the Martin for 1/3 the cost and keep the difference. After having played both for several months, I can say that the Eastman comes close, but I don't think I will ever give up the Martin - and it may be that this particular Martin is exceptionally good - it's hard to say. But while the Eastman is an excellent guitar, the Martin is closer to perfection.

If you're wondering whether or not you'd be just as happy with the Martin as with the Eastman, the answer is no - if you were to play both, side by side, you'd pick the Martin too. But if you ask if you'd be satisfied with an Eastman, the answer is yes - it's a great guitar, worth double its street value.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:11 PM

You would be in a better position than I,since you have had both for a while, but I didn't find the comparisons in the clips very close at all. The Martin had a smooth , consistent character. The Eastman seemed harsh and its hard to describe, but its like the tonal character of the lows, mids, and highs didn't match up exactly and the transitions lacked smoothness.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:23 PM

thanks for taking the time to do this and share it. however, i think you really need to get the eastman guitar set up well before doing a comparison. also, the martin neck width isn't quite a wide as a classical.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:23 PM

Smooth - yes - mellower - the sound characteristic of the Eastman is closer to a Taylor - brighter. Some might prefer that more mid-range sound. I prefer the Martin "round" sound.

Regarding the Eastman setup - it shouldn't have passed QA with a bad nut slot, but it did. I think that's where the differences start to show - in the minutiae - I doubt that a modern Martin would slip through with an unfinished nut slot. Granted, I don't know what happened to the Martin before I bought it - maybe it went to a meticulous luthier (my favorite kind). The Eastman, I have to take at face value, having come straight from the retail floor.

I was really hoping the Eastman would replace the Martin - I really wanted it to be as good. It just isn't. But it's pretty bloody close.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

On the surface, the Eastmans seem close but when it comes down to it, the quality of tone just isn't in the same league.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the comparison video.

I've been lucky enough to play both these models, as well as the Martin 0-28VS, which is closer in size to the Eastman. The Eastmans really surprised me—lots of meaty sound from those small boxes. I believe the tops are red spruce on these, while the Martins come standard with sitka tops. I found the fretwork and intonation to be superior on the Martins I played, but I much, much prefer the round c-neck shape on the Eastmans. I find v-shaped necks to be extremely uncomfortable.

Last edited by dreamincolor; 01-25-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:57 PM

Thanks for your comparison video. I agree with HHP. As soon as you started playing the Eastman, I could hear why it's priced as it is. The sound of the Martin is rich, complex and balanced. The Eastman is rather harsh.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:23 PM

thanks for posting.

Martin all the way... The sound really told the story and if it was that noticeable in a simple recording I am sure it will be very obvious in person.

I hate to say that as I am looking around at smaller guitars and would love to not have to wait to save a bit more but I have to say this video made me cross off the Eastman.

Frets, nut width, finish, case , tuners to me all that adds up to quite a bit of work at a shop probably close to $500 total. I am at a point where I am tired of being nickel and dimed by repairing guitars that should have been better appointed out of the gate. ( just my opinion but since I am saving to buy a new guitar my thought is factor in all the extra costs when looking at a guitar)
Old 01-25-2015, 04:41 PM

Nicely done video,very informative.Thanks
Old 01-25-2015, 04:56 PM

Thanks, this is very useful. I assume that bot had the same type of strings put on at the same time?
Old 01-25-2015, 05:07 PM

Nicely done, course it is a bit of comparing apples to oranges given the differences in size, 00 vs 0, soundboard, Sitka vs Adirondack, and finish, catalyzed vs nitro. Still, I found it interesting how close these two guitars were tonally in your video, much closer than in person of course, but still interesting. It would be interesting to see this comparison using the new Eastman E20-00.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:34 PM

The head stock joint on the Eastman neck is called a Bridle Joint or Birds beak. This joint is far stronger than a one piece and very labor intensive.
Martin used this type joint, at the turn of the 20th century, before they started using Mahogany, for necks. Changing to Mahogany was a cost savings measure.
Very few guitar makers use this joint. John Greven is one of them.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walthenry View Post
The head stock joint on the Eastman neck is called a Bridle Joint or Birds beak. This joint is far stronger than a one piece and very labor intensive.
Martin used this type joint, at the turn of the 20th century, before they started using Mahogany, for necks. Changing to Mahogany was a cost savings measure.
Very few guitar makers use this joint. John Greven is one of them.
Are you referring to the diamond volute?
Old 01-25-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Nicely done, course it is a bit of comparing apples to oranges given the differences in size, 00 vs 0, soundboard, Sitka vs Adirondack, and finish, catalyzed vs nitro. Still, I found it interesting how close these two guitars were tonally in your video, much closer than in person of course, but still interesting. It would be interesting to see this comparison using the new Eastman E20-00.
I found there to be quite a difference in tone between the E20P and the E20-OO. It would be interesting to see the latter stacked up against the Martin of similar build.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucedup View Post
Are you referring to the diamond volute?
Yes. The volute is structural joint on the Eastman and an ornament on the Martin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
compare, eastman e20p, martin 00-28vs