The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-10-2010, 08:06 AM

Default Do you mix strings for altered tunings?

I use lights on three of my four steel string guitars and medium lights on one. Generally I 'allocate' one guitar for a particular tuning and string it accordingly. That means for open G I'm going to need a 13 on the top and a 44 and at least a 54 (better a 55 or 56) on the bass. For DADGAD I'll typically string a guitar with John Pearse New Mediums. Even for dropped D I'll often get hold of a 54 (minimum), 55, or 56. I find that detuning usually takes too much away from the feel and sound. Do you?
Old 03-10-2010, 10:26 AM

No.

I suppose if I was a professional I might. Or rich. If you buy your strings in "stock" packages, what do you do with the other ones? Whether not using the extras or paying the added expense of ordering singles, I can't justify the expense. Sure the tension is not the same on every string, but compared to other issues in life, this is a minor inconvenience.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:31 AM

I only really play in standard and DADGAD. I usually use a set of lights with a .013 and a .017 on top. Sometimes, I'll buy new/true medium sets. This works well for both tunings.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allman_Fan View Post
If you buy your strings in "stock" packages, what do you do with the other ones?
I ditch them. Yes, I suppose it is a bit wasteful; on the other hand, I'm not the sort of person who changes strings every week, or anything like it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write