The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-07-2010, 05:22 AM

Default Justin Taylor Fingerstyle Jazz DVD

I regret that I can remember who or how, but a few weeks ago someone on here recommended Justin Taylor and his materials. I purchased his DVD Justin Taylor Fingerstyle Jazz Guitar. I thought I drop in a few initial thoughts...

First, the DVD (somewhat surprising) came in the Stefan Grossman video's format--well actually it is a Stefan Grossman's workshop video. I liked this because his stuff is great--pdf tab on the dvd, regular booklet included, and well organized.

The materials are a bit advanced. However, I am an intermediate who likes to pilfer ideas and make my own arrangements. I've been working on Georgia on My Mind. My rendition is fairly complete and has some really nice spots, if I can say so with some humility (is that possible?), but it gets boring and is somewhat dry.

After I popped in the DVD and went to Georgia (I believe this is on youtube too for a preview), I felt a bit overwhelmed and as if I should just throw the DVD into a pile with several others that are too advanced for me.

Here's where the stick-to-it-ness and ingenuity play a part. I reviewed the tab and watched him run through the song and felt that there were so many nice things that were accessible to me that I could incorporate them into my own arrangement.

The short of it is, I think I will learn a ton from him and this product. I know I will probably and most likely never finish the song the way he does it. I expect, though, that in a few months, my arrangement will be done and I will have learned quite a bit even if I just grab licks, turnarounds, and voicings. And, I expect that I will be a bit better at the instrument because of it.

If you have a decent grasp of how chords are put together and understand the neck yet--like me--you have trouble putting it all together and are not the most proficient--I think the materials are helpful.

By the way, there are 4 other great standards on the video.

The tab is fantastic! For me, the video moves too quickly though and actual instruction could be better. But the only lessons I've really ever thought the format was slow enough for me have been justin sandercoe's materials and deltabluestips youtube page.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:21 PM

Excellent review. Thanks for posting it. I do love reading specifics about various training materials, because it is just plain hard to know what levels are really being taught and in what manner. I appreciate your detail.
Pono OO-20
Pono OP-30DC
Old 03-09-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryler View Post
Excellent review. Thanks for posting it. I do love reading specifics about various training materials, because it is just plain hard to know what levels are really being taught and in what manner. I appreciate your detail.
If it helps, I'm an intermediate on playability level and a bit better with song structure, theory, and chord knowledge. I can travis pick pretty well and am trying to play my own fingerstyle chord melody stuff, which is going slow.

The biggest pain is you and you alone really have to figure out, hey how am I going to pull off this move? I know it's in this chord but what fingering is best. The video is really just him playing what's in the tab booklet. That's great for hearing it, but I could really use someone to show me their moves--which I think is so much of it.

I'd say go for this if you have a particular song on it that you want an arrangement for. I think it's worth it for me only because I'll be able to lift some of his ideas and learn something. Playing it note for note will be tough. I will learn from it though.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhiller View Post
I regret that I can remember who or how, but a few weeks ago someone on here recommended Justin Taylor and his materials. I purchased his DVD Justin Taylor Fingerstyle Jazz Guitar. I thought I drop in a few initial thoughts...
I looked on the site and could only find Martin Taylor. Is this who you meant?
Old 03-11-2010, 07:39 AM

Yes, Martin Taylor. Sorry about that!
Old 03-12-2010, 07:54 AM

How funny- there's a singer/songwriter down here near Charlotte NC who's name is... Justin Taylor. He relo'd from South Africa and married an American so now he calls himself an African American (his joke) He's an excellent fingerstyle performer as well and a terrific singer with great original songs. Check him out on myspace...

Mike

Martin D28
Martin DC-16RGTE Aura
Guild F-30rce (New Hartford)
Guild D-40c
Guild D-35s (both Guild Dreads are late 70's Westerley models)
Larrivee 0M-03
Taylor 314ce (Mahogany top)
Frog Level FL-18 (Custom-Martin D-18 style)
Tacoma Chief C1C (sunburst)
Fender F95 (mid 70's beauty-really!)
Sigma GC1 (Martin 00-18 style)
Takamine EG128sc (nylon)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write