The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-30-2020, 07:12 PM

Default Silly Moustache

I enjoy watching Silly Moustache’s videos on YouTube. He said that the wider 13/16” nut width on his Collings helped him play better. He loves 12 fret guitars and posted a nice video on his new Eastman E20P. He also has an excellent video on how to change strings on a slot head.

Well, I took his ideas to heart and bought a used Eastman E20oo on Reverb. Wow! What a great guitar. I play fingerstyle and have had trouble sounding loud enough. This guitar fixed that problem. It projects very well. It plays so nice that I feel as though I am cheating.

Ole Andy, from merry ole England, through his videos has helped me a bunch. Hats off to Andy!

Russ
Old 01-31-2020, 01:04 AM
Charter Member

Yay, Ole Andy!

And congrats on the new Eastman, Russ.
Cheers!
Old 01-31-2020, 06:25 AM

He's one of AGF's modest treasures. If it were only as easy to agree on the finest, plectrum, capo, or restringing process!
Old 01-31-2020, 08:23 AM

Default Couldn't agree more

One of my favorite "regulars" here on AGF. I, too, became interested in 12-fretters due to his videos, and as a result, I am now the proud owner of an HD28 VS. He is a wealth of knowledge and tons of fun to listen to and watch. Thanks Andy!
2015 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Studio
2014 Voyage-Air
2018 Fender Players Series Stratocaster
1981 Fender Statocaster
Old 01-31-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzin View Post
He's one of AGF's modest treasures. If it were only as easy to agree on the finest, plectrum, capo, or restringing process!
When one is at my level of ignorance they don’t necessarily need the best way, just a good way. Ha ha.
Old 01-31-2020, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I am another forum member here who has both enjoyed and learned a lot from Andy's videos and his other contributions to the discussions here. I change strings on my slot head with much more confidence and success than before.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-01-2020, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Definitely one of the forum’s Good Guys!

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 02-01-2020, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Hi all

Glad he hangs around and contributes!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-13-2020, 01:56 AM

Larry
I've been listening to your songs. Your playing is beautiful.

Last edited by Kitkatjoe; 02-13-2020 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjathon View Post
I enjoy watching Silly Moustache’s videos on YouTube. He said that the wider 13/16” nut width on his Collings helped him play better. He loves 12 fret guitars and posted a nice video on his new Eastman E20P. He also has an excellent video on how to change strings on a slot head.

Well, I took his ideas to heart and bought a used Eastman E20oo on Reverb. Wow! What a great guitar. I play fingerstyle and have had trouble sounding loud enough. This guitar fixed that problem. It projects very well. It plays so nice that I feel as though I am cheating.

Ole Andy, from merry ole England, through his videos has helped me a bunch. Hats off to Andy!

Russ

Aw, shucks, t'weren't nut'n. (looks down at shoes).

I've been on this forum since 2006 (when I was still working - but mornings only by then, and it was something nice to do when I switched off my business computer and phone at 1.p.m.

In 2009, I started using YouTube initially in order to show picking friends how my repertoire went.
Then I did some very basic comparisons of my guitars.

After a while I detected oft repeated questions and challenges on this and other fora, (and on YouTube - love it when people comment/question on there) and realised that I might be able to help using YouTube videos.

I now have 1850 ish subscribers and we are nearing 375000 views.

I'm not clever, but I am old and you pick up some good ideas along the way - so why not share them ?

So, if you have been, thanks for watching.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:36 AM

Contgrats on the new guitar to the OP!! It's awesome when you find sound advice than pans out for you. Enjoy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Aw, shucks, t'weren't nut'n. (looks down at shoes).

I've been on this forum since 2006 (when I was still working - but mornings only by then, and it was something nice to do when I switched off my business computer and phone at 1.p.m.

In 2009, I started using YouTube initially in order to show picking friends how my repertoire went.
Then I did some very basic comparisons of my guitars.

After a while I detected oft repeated questions and challenges on this and other fora, (and on YouTube - love it when people comment/question on there) and realised that I might be able to help using YouTube videos.

I now have 1850 ish subscribers and we are nearing 375000 views.

I'm not clever, but I am old and you pick up some good ideas along the way - so why not share them ?

So, if you have been, thanks for watching.
I've checked out some of your videos also and I thought they are very well done. I enjoyed the one you did recently (I think it was recent) on 12 string guitars. Congrats on the success of your channel!

I have this nagging urge that won't go away to try my hand at producing some youtube videos. You and the guy that does "Chords of Orion" have inspired me because you've shown that you can have a successful channel without the super slick production and professional TV studio look. I don't have time for that .
Old 02-13-2020, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
Contgrats on the new guitar to the OP!! It's awesome when you find sound advice than pans out for you. Enjoy!!

I've checked out some of your videos also and I thought they are very well done. I enjoyed the one you did recently (I think it was recent) on 12 string guitars. Congrats on the success of your channel!

I have this nagging urge that won't go away to try my hand at producing some YouTube videos. You and the guy that does "Chords of Orion" have inspired me because you've shown that you can have a successful channel without the super slick production and professional TV studio look. I don't have time for that .
Hi Ballistic, I wasn't aware of "Chords of Orion" he has an appropriate backcloth and probably better mic sound processing gear than I do.

I admire Paul Davids (Netherlands) - he has a great set up, and produces exceeding good videos where as mine are so simplistic.

I expect that my amateurish presentation comforts some and irritates others.
I oughta go to a YouTube video editing school - if there was one !!
Old 02-13-2020, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjathon View Post
…Ole Andy, from merry ole England, through his videos has helped me a bunch. Hats off to Andy!

Russ
Hi Russ

Yup - he's a keeper!!!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-13-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi Ballistic, I wasn't aware of "Chords of Orion" he has an appropriate backcloth and probably better mic sound processing gear than I do.

I admire Paul Davids (Netherlands) - he has a great set up, and produces exceeding good videos where as mine are so simplistic.

I expect that my amateurish presentation comforts some and irritates others.
I oughta go to a YouTube video editing school - if there was one !!
You can't please everybody .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write