The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-09-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
Ironic that every farmer that I know loves it and hates it .
Let's start with the hate part . They hate it because they consider it to be fake .
They love it because they can charge more for their products .
My personal tastes lean towards synthetic food .
How many farmers do you know? How are you recording and analyzing the data?

We (small/independent chain of grocer, meat market & cafes) have a local and "food miles" program with 350+ farmers and food makers supplying the stores. We have a professional dietitian and stats-aware marketing director overseeing it all. We and suppliers are also in certification programs assuring quality and authenticity. The total vendors doing that is almost twice that because the approximately 75 mile distances mean different farmers are supplying different stores.

My part as IT director beyond making operations work is assisting audits. It is true this category of what we sell is more expensive. We also still work with the major food distributors. I can't understand what could be fake in the organic/local part of what we do. The farmers doing this love it. For some the change is their survival. Especially in recent times. The farmers onboard with the "food miles" and "local" programs are escaping issues with depressed dairy prices and tariffs.

We're only a small upper midwest chain, limited to hundreds of farmers when there are so many more, and only have department or location managers with two qualified execs managing it all so I really am curious to know your data.

I don't know what you mean by synthetic food. You also post about bees and orchards. We also do a lot to employ and serve the less fortunate so SNAP means we sell what I think is about $300,000 of processed food daily. Not all of the local stuff qualifies.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic