The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-20-2020, 09:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default An interchangeable nut

I have a local guitar playing friend who has a huss and dalton with a 1 and 7/8 inch neck. He likes the guitar very well but isn't fond of the string spacing. What he wants is to leave the neck as is and pull the strings together 1/32 inch on each side. New nut with new spacing. But he wants the flexibility of removing the new nut and replacing it with the old nut.
The solution is to peg the nuts in place so they won't slide about (the strings will hold the nut down)

So here is the first step.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:43 AM

I have a few guitars with loose nuts, they just fall out if you remove all the strings and they are completely solid with the strings on, zero movement. At the same time, that never struck me as a "competent luthier did this" kind of deal, plus I forget and the nut falls out and goes under the bed. Your way is kind of cool.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:14 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks Brian. Nuts, like all other small inanimate objects always scoot under furniture when dropped. Universal law of nature.
I normally glue the nut down but this way sure makes it easy to work on the nut if the occasion arises
Old 01-20-2020, 10:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

On many of my guitars with headstock truss rod adjustment, I use the truss rod cover to hold the nut in place.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop