The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-05-2019, 04:42 PM

I've owned three Martin Custom Shop guitars. D-35 Custom, D-42 Custom, and my current OOO-18GE Custom.

The first two took six months to build, the last one nine months. Long waits but it was worth it!

I've sold on the D-35 and D-42. While they were incredibly beautiful guitars their tone was just so-so to MY ears. My OOO-18GE, on the other hand, rocks the house. Here's what I ordered on the OOO-18GE Custom:

* Deep Body option (adds 1/2" depth to the body. Makes it sound like a dreadnaught)

* Full gloss, Mod V neck with 1 11/16" nut

* 1935 sunburst

* No runout on top (this is not an option they offer, but I've always requested it anyway and they've always delivered)

All three of my customs were ordered through Jon and Sharon at www.myfavoriteguitars.com

GREAT folks to work with. I doubt any dealer out there understands the various custom offerings from Martin as well as Jon. He knows what works and what doesn't. His prices can't be beat either.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:22 PM

This subforum is after all called the "custom shop forum" so a Martin custom shop guitar sounds like it literally qualifies even though most of the guitars and guitar builds focused on by this subforum have been luthier made guitars and unlike them, a martin custom shop guitar is a factory made guitar with options able to be customised by the customer's choice.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:58 PM

Bring on that Adi-Koa 0000 12 fret slotted peghead beauty anytime!

Bashkin 00-12 Adi/Hog
Bashkin 0M-MS Swiss Moon/PRW(build thread)
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Carter-Poulsen J-Model German Select Spruce/MacEb
Fender MIJ Strat ('90) and 50s RW Tele ('19)
Martin 00-28c Spruce/BRW('67)
Martin M-36 (R) Sitka/EIR
Michaud O-R Cedar/Koa - New Build
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
K. Yairi RF-120 Spruce/EIR
KoAloha KTM-25 Koa/Koa
Yamaha G-231 Cedar/Hog ('71)
Old 11-05-2019, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Absolutely qualify, it is built by a separate custom shop team at the factory. I had one Martin Custom Shop before through Jon and Sharon and was very happy with the guitar when I got it.

But the only things is that - I didn't have a lot to contribute other than putting up a NGD thread. The whole process was quite a boring one. You can't choose a specific set of wood, you can't talk to the luthier on intricate things of the build, no progress photos. Basically order, then wait 6 months, no interaction in between.
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 12-10-2019, 08:33 PM

My 1982 OM-28 was ordered from the Martin Custom Shop by none other than Eric Schoenberg!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop