The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-17-2019, 06:29 AM

Default Timekeeping.. What's More Natural, analog/digital ?

My old Casio diver is well over a decade on the Solar Eco Drive system and badly scratched and I'm starting to look at watches. Never really been a digital guy, but got me to thinking.

I feel like when I look at a digital time display (computer, phone, etc.) my BRAIN quickly and automatically turns it into hands on a clock so I know what time it is. My brain has other little tricks it does when I'm not thinking.

But, I wonder....

If they aren't teaching cursive writing in schools anymore, do schools still have analog clocks on the wall?

Do YOU prefer one over the other?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 01-17-2019, 07:13 AM

All common ways to look at time and some uncommon ways are quite natural at this point but for many years the comfort was with a few mechanical watches I own.

I've bought, sold and retained some nice mechanical watches since I was a teen. I had some digital watches and later on solar including a nice threaded crown dive type. Apple Watch has had them all in storage for 2+ years now. I remember being a thrilled kid with my first Timex. Now my watch is my telephone, one of my computers, and a FDA approved ECG device.

Work collaboration with people around the world helped change my 12 hour analog mind.

I usually set electronic or digital clocks to 24 hour mode. In the work day I often switch my watch to the info graphmode.

Check out this smart phone app if you are into clocks, the sky and what's out there.

https://cosmic-watch.com/user-guide/

https://support.apple.com/guide/watc...85daf4/watchos

Old 01-17-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
I feel like when I look at a digital time display (computer, phone, etc.) my BRAIN quickly and automatically turns it into hands on a clock so I know what time it is. My brain has other little tricks it does when I'm not thinking.
I prefer analogue.

With a digital display I effectively "read" it in my head. There is a greater degree of processing the information.

With analogue it is instantaneous. No need to "read" it as such.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post

With a digital display I effectively "read" it in my head. There is a greater degree of processing the information.

With analogue it is instantaneous. No need to "read" it as such.
I think that's what I was trying to say in my twisted way...

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 01-17-2019, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Everything I needed to know in life I learned in elementary school which for me was 1955-1962. Digital vs analog? Analog all the way.....
Old 01-17-2019, 08:08 AM

I like analog, and I like a second hand. Digital just doesn't do seconds right.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziapack View Post
I like analog, and I like a second hand. Digital just doesn't do seconds right.
My digital smartwatch is always on this analog face:

Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 01-17-2019, 08:24 AM

You ask which is more natural. To me it simply comes down to preference. Since digital watches have been around for many decades, for many they are "natural". I don't wear any digital-display watches. I prefer handmade, swiss movement, wind up watches that demonstrate the capability of watch making at its highest level. Similar to how I choose guitars. Handmade examples of high-quality precision engineering with enduring elegance and desirability.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:26 AM

I really like well made analog watches. I would love to be able to afford a Rolex.

I think it is assumed that technical advances are always better. Some are. Most are geared to doing things faster. More productivity. There are too many devices that attempt to do many things but do them poorly.

In a former and younger life, I was a photojournalist. Most of that time was with film/ analog. You had to think.

I look at images today made with digital cameras. Yes, there are some great photos being made. None, however, impress me the way that Ansel Adam's best images do.
Today, it's a high capacity memory card and blast away. A few are bound to be good.

Dorthea Lange is my favorite photographer. One of the great FSA photographers. Even with roll film cameras, there was the notion of the "decisive moment" and the images that were produced show this.

Today, its shoot with a cell phone OR a very high tech watch. Even amature photography has suffered as a result of digital everything.

I am not a Luddite. I just think some things are better left analog. Like watches.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:45 AM

I like my Seiko Prospex "Bluemo" self winding mechanical diver. It's beat to heck and back and has not quit. It's been exposed to every pool chemical known to man and no complaints or damage. It just works.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:53 AM

I just got a new Casio Rangeman and went back to digital. The G-shock I was wearing was analog and I liked it too. I don’t really have a preference, but if I’m wearing a digital watch, I like military time

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 01-17-2019, 09:39 AM
Guitar Gourmet

If you got back to the Air Force studies on instrumentation you'll get some answers. They found that the two types of display actually convey two different types of information, both of which are valuable. Analog, "steamer" type displays convey "rate of change," "amount to go," and "amount so far," information quickly. Digital displays convey instantaneous values faster than analog.

For instance: When you are trying to precisely maintain one specific altitude, a digital altimeter conveys your precise altitude very quickly. However, the moment you begin either a climb or dive, the analog display conveys more information quicker. Same with fuel: if asked your fuel state, a digital display can give it to you in pounds rather quickly. If you are trying to estimate your fuel state relative to how long you've been flying and/or how long you have to fly, the analog display allows the brain to correlate between miles/time travels and fuel consumed and/or miles/time to go and fuel remaining much quicker. Aircraft displays often integrate BOTH.

How does that related to clocks? It you simply want to know the immediate time, digital is quicker. If you want to know how much of lunch break you have left, analog is quicker.

Most of my recording engineer friends use an analog display on their Apple watch. As a recording engineer I wear an analog Seiko chronograph. I've got a wind-up analog stopwatch in front of me to time broadcast-related recordings as they happen but set an in/out range on the DAW to get a time on an already-recorded material.

When I'm working on broadcast-related material on a deadline I use the analog clocks on my desktop to pace myself towards an air date. The task bars also have digital clocks displayed, as does my phone, if I need an immediate time number.

Does that help?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-17-2019, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post

Do YOU prefer one over the other?
Well in answer to the title question it is neither ,,,,,, the position of the sun is "Natural" everything else is a contrivance.

My preference ? at my age , a digital readout of large enough font to read without magnifier glasses

I prefer my iWatch and use the bottom "face" pictured in imwjl's post

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 01-18-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Well in answer to the title question it is neither ,,,,,, the position of the sun is "Natural" everything else is a contrivance.

My preference ? at my age , a digital readout of large enough font to read without magnifier glasses

I prefer my iWatch and use the bottom "face" pictured in imwjl's post
That staple seems to be replaced with the new larger "infograph" and a customized version of the Nike screen.

Apple sent a brand new Series 2 replacement a 14 year old is enjoying and I'm happier with the Series 4 than expected. Of course now that move means I have to stop typing and go close the rings.

The Series 4 display change and overall performance has forever changed what a watch is to me.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:30 AM

I can only wear my digital Casio G-Shock until Day Light Savings time kicks in. Then I switch to an analog watch because I can’t figure how to change the time/date/day on my Casio. When the time changes again, I go back to my G-Shock. 😩

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic