The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-18-2021, 06:36 PM

Default Evolve 50 dispersion

Hi all,

Looking at options for moving forward with a portable line array PA.

Am nervous about the wobbly plastic joiner on the Bose L1 16 pro, but it would do what I needed.

In considering the EV evolve 50, how do you suppose they achieve the claimed 120 degrees of horizontal dispersion, when all of the speakers are facing forward..?

Or are they actually pissing into the wind on that one...

thanks,

Stuart
Old 05-18-2021, 08:58 PM

If you can handle the extra $$ the Bose L1pro32 has a very solid connection-zero wobble.
Old 05-19-2021, 05:23 AM

Thanks for the vote, I will take that on board....
Old 05-19-2021, 08:44 AM

the dispersion is real

but I would get the 30M instead. Extra channels and built in effects. Only advantage the 50 has is the slightly larger sub. But larger also means 10 lbs heavier!
Old 05-19-2021, 10:14 AM

Might take a look at the Mackie Pro DX in both 4 and 8 channel. I have used the 8 in dozens of gigs, before Covid, and found it to be well built, great for many types of effects inc. compression and controlled by an app on my phone, laptop or tablet. No speakers involved.
Old 05-21-2021, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
the dispersion is real

but I would get the 30M instead. Extra channels and built in effects. Only advantage the 50 has is the slightly larger sub. But larger also means 10 lbs heavier!
Thanks.. I am sensitive to bottom end response though..
My Bose L1 compact never being able to handle my stomp..
I would probably err towards bottom end capacity....
Old 05-21-2021, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

I'd share the OP's concern with the wobble on the Pro16 stick, but can't resist posting this photo from the Bose L1 Pro Facebook group, from a singer/guitarist. He said his 16 handled this space with 300+ people, with no problem and "nothing but compliments on the sound"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg l1 pro16.jpg (48.6 KB, 62 views)
Old 05-22-2021, 09:30 AM

Bose Pro16 getting a lot of positive reviews besides column wobble issue.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:53 AM

I used a L1 Compact for a few years and recently upgraded to the Pro8. I am in an acoustic duo. The thing about both these and other similar systems in my experience is that most local venue stages (bars, etc.) don't have the depth to put them very far behind you as they were designed to be used. With my Pro8 volume beyond about 10 o'clock it's really too loud if it is close and starts to cause feedback, so we often put it slightly in front of us and to one side then use an S1 as a monitor.

My point is, the Pro8 is way loud enough for a single speaker and if I needed more volume I'd use 2x Pro8s on either side of the stage vs a Pro16. Yes the Pro16 has better bass but for just vocal and guitar this isn't really needed.

I will say that Bose should really be ashamed at the overall design of the Pro8 and Pro16. The column attachment and wobble issues are real and baffling. The only reason I stuck with Bose if the horizontal dispersion.
Old 05-23-2021, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZebraKing View Post
I used a L1 Compact for a few years and recently upgraded to the Pro8. I am in an acoustic duo. The thing about both these and other similar systems in my experience is that most local venue stages (bars, etc.) don't have the depth to put them very far behind you as they were designed to be used. With my Pro8 volume beyond about 10 o'clock it's really too loud if it is close and starts to cause feedback, so we often put it slightly in front of us and to one side then use an S1 as a monitor.

My point is, the Pro8 is way loud enough for a single speaker and if I needed more volume I'd use 2x Pro8s on either side of the stage vs a Pro16. Yes the Pro16 has better bass but for just vocal and guitar this isn't really needed.

I will say that Bose should really be ashamed at the overall design of the Pro8 and Pro16. The column attachment and wobble issues are real and baffling. The only reason I stuck with Bose is the horizontal dispersion.
Very helpful points about positioning. Re the 8/16 stick attachments, it's a puzzler. I swear if I had two Compacts I could use the sticks to run a clothesline and hang laundry.
Old 05-23-2021, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

I own and love a Bose L1 Model II w/ B1 sub-woofer... I still smile broadly every time I setup and play through it... I've never had a PA that was so smooth and manageable, that sounded so good and even throughout a room... just love the thing!

The dispersion on the Bose stuff is just phenomenal! I've had to "re-learn" a lot of what I've accrued over 50+ years of performing with this system... for instance, the dispersion is truly >180 degrees with this thing, which means I don't have to have it "front and center"; it doesn't need to be pointing at the audience or at me (to hear myself).

I've set it up on an adjacent wall from where I was playing, facing out towards the room, and I could hear my voice and guitars quite easily... so long as you're in that dispersion zone, you and your audience are gonna be just fine!

I've played through a fair number of "other" units that purportedly have excellent dispersion, and not one of them has come close to what the Bose does.

I was not a Bose "fanboy" in the slightest prior to owning the L1 system... but I surely am one now! Go with the originators, spend the extra $$$ and "cry once" - or get used to crying everytime you plug in to "lesser" unit...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 05-23-2021, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Go with the originators, spend the extra $$$ and "cry once" - or get used to crying everytime you plug in to "lesser" unit...
Touché...!

To return to the reason for investigating my options at all: upon realising the inadequacies of the L1 compact, in a red hot rage many years ago, I went out and purchased a cerwin vega powered sub.

15”....
Did the job just fine.
Guitar and vocals out of my little mixer, into the sub, then up into the Bose. Stomp went straight into the sub.

But, god awful heavy. Eventually I pulled the amp out of the sub and put it in it’s own box, to make the whole setup more manageable.

Wherein I now find myself considering a more streamlined affair.

I like the dispersion of the Bose line and find it confusing that many of the alternatives appear to be just speakers on a stick...

Given the built in instabilities of the new line I find a renewed interest in investigating the Bose L1 model ll, while it is still around. Folk seem to rate them well....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification